Instrumental Disco

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Hey all, I've been trying to immerse myself into the OG disco sound of the 70s, and up to this point, nothings really stuck with me. For the most part, I just can't get past the somewhat corny/cheezy vocals and lyrics (just my opinion)....eventhough I like the musical accompaniement (sp?). I listened to the recent Dimitri compilation (THe Philly Sound), and thought most of it was pretty good, but would have preferred them as instrumentals. Can any strutters point me in the direction of any artists from that era that were mainly releasing instrumental disco tracks? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    H.E.R.M.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    love this:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

No inst on youtube...one of the best disco instrumentals there is though, IMO.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You need to embrace the corn, or just move on.

Kon's mixes are always strong - http://playin4keeps.blogspot.com/search/label/mixes for download

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    cove said:
    love this:

So good.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I don't know of any purely instrumental releases. If you want instrumental funk with orchestration you can check out any of the Love Unlimited Orchestra lps if you haven't already. Sure you have though.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    In terms of your original question, a lot of the disco 12'' i've found in dollar bins this year have instrumentals--like Fantasy "You're Too Late." Empress "Dyin' to be Dancin'." Those are from the early 80s though I guess. I can't remember which 70s ones (if any) have instros. Your best bet is probably to find songs you like and look on discogs or soulseek or something for instrumentals.

My two cents: I don't think listening to extended disco mixes in their entirety is the best way to delve into the OG sound. I don't listen to electronic or disco tracks much in isolation.

Besides Kon's mixes, I can recommend Al Kent's Disco Love mix that I just listened to this morning.

I'm sure people on here can recommend other mixes. Maybe the mix section even has dope ones?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    jjrocks said:

My two cents: I don't think listening to extended disco mixes in their entirety is the best way to delve into the OG sound. I don't listen to electronic or disco tracks much in isolation.

man, i love listening to extended 12" versions from start to finish

as to the og poster's question, i heard that the japanese cd release of the dimitri comp has all the instrumentals. might wanna seek it out.

also,

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    there's a plenty of 70s disco instrumentals about..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    the China Burton - you don't care about our love instrumental on the b-side is FIYAH

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ABSOLUTE FIYAH

GAME OVER

willie_fugal said:
    the China Burton - you don't care about our love instrumental on the b-side is FIYAH

vocal version > instrumental version

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah that Philly International shit sucks. Too many words.

Cosmo said:
    Yeah that Philly International shit sucks. Too many words.

haha

• plz point me 2 teh mo' wax of disco. thnx

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Miroslav Vitous - New York City

Azymuth - Jazz Carnival

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    if u don't like the words/vocals in this u don't like disco. period.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I cosign everyone else here when I say, disco with vocals is the answer!

Nonetheless, you should probably delve into today's disco edit scene, where in many cases, the vocals are somewhat, or completely edited out. But, in that case you have to like repetition.

Gary's Gang - Let's lovedance tonight 12" (Danny Krivit Remix)

C.O.M.B.I - Ma Bakes
    http://www.headphonesex.co.uk/tracks/Unknown_Artist_-_Ma_Bakes.mp3

Pleasure - Joyous (DJ Harvey Re-Edit) by Piece Together

• I have been bumping some Horse Meat Disco mixes for a while now - check this one out for their latest compilation on Strut.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Not really an instrumental, but it's hardly Tangled Up In Blue, if you get my meaning.

This is straight fuckin' dollar bin - Harvey did an edit of this on one of the later Black Cock EPs (not that it needs one), but I can't remember which one. It doesn't seem to be on any of the bootlegs/reissues (delete where applicable) that have been floating around for the last year or so.