Arhoolie Records

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
On the Arhoolie site they've caught on that "vinyl is back" and are selling OGs of back stock from their catalog...

http://www.arhoolie.com/vinyl-lps-and-45s/lps/

I'm not up on what the Arhoolie raers are, but maybe someone can enlighten? Probably some bargains to be had in there. Everything's sealed as far as I can tell. I'll be coppin a few Clifton Cheniers, you?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    These are collector prices, I don't see any bargains.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I would think that Arhoolie would have very few "raers," if any.

Many of those blues indies like Arhoolie, Yazoo & Delmark stayed in business continuously and kept most of their catalog in print. The cover art might have been altered, and maybe one or two titles were deleted here & there, but I'm almost positive that most of the catalog survives. ESPECIALLY Clifton Chenier, he was one of Arhoolie's major sellers.

If anything on Arhoolie would be considered uncommon, maybe it would be their jazz records? I know label owner Chris Strachwitz announced around 1971 that his jazz titles were his worst sellers and that he was getting out of that field.

• Thanks for the timely post, for the last few days I've been working on some video archival work about one of Chris' early sixties recording trips. I've been wondering what are the best non blues LP's. I'm familiar with the Black Ace, Mance Lipscom, Lightning Hopkins etc. sides. But are there some gospel cuts on Arhoolie worth checking out? How are the Smiley Winters , Now Creative Jazz Ensemble or Sam Bros lps? and did Spider Kilpatrick cut any of his own Lp's.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dang, was hopin they had some Big Mama Thornton's "Wade In The Water" 45s...killer

...James Young "Slam Hammer" is a psychotic little slice of blues, definitely worth a fiver.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have funky Earl Hooker on Arhoolie 45 & as far as Gospel goes you can't forget Rev. Overstreet. Great Label.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cool LP that doesn't turn up often, oddity for the label:

http://www.arhoolie.com/jazz/luna-space-swell.html

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    On the blues side, hopefully they might have Bee Houston's album (recorded in '68, released in '70), which has some pretty good attempts at soul...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    just checked these, pretty pricey for what the titles, yes the Bee Houston is there, nothing really mind blowing is jumping out as a steal from the quick look i had.

okay, dug deeper, just saw the 45s, there are four in there which are definitely good deals, Lightning Hopkins is solid band stuff from him, Larry O'Williams is mid-tempo bluesy r&b/northern, the Johnny Young as mentioned above is great & the RC Smith is raw acoustic blues with a good beat (but not drums if that makes sense).

the Luna LP is definitely recommended, as is the Sonny Simmons. Basically most all of that acoustic blues stuff is good if it's your thing, electric blues-wise the Johnny Youngs & Johnny Littlejohn LP are worth checking out.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    thursdayalley said:
    How are the Smiley Winters , Now Creative Jazz Ensemble or Sam Bros lps? and did Spider Kilpatrick cut any of his own Lp's.

Both Manhattan Egos and Smiley Etc. are great. Worth it simply for the performances by the great Barbara Donald. Parts of Smiley Etc. are as far out as anything on ESP or BYG. $35 is about what they go for in shops. The Smiley is a a double lp too.

Sorry that Luna record sucks. I shit my pants when I found that record many years ago. Very disappointing and I've since found it several time and tried to give it other chances.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Speaking of Sonny Simmons. The Firebirds is one of my all time favorite in/out modal dates. Feat. Bobby Hutcherson too. Great fucking record!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prince-Lasha-Sonny-Simmons-Firebirds-album-1967-jazz-LP-/200483227250?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2eadbb4672#ht_792wt_1137

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One of my all-time favorite covers...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    One of my all-time favorite covers...