Alvin Greene - Surreal Politics (Even For South Carolina)

JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
This is depressing. He has about the same level of poise I had in my first high school debate tournament. So obvious he is a pawn being used by some very nasty repubs.

Visit msnbc.com for #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news, #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news, and #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    :shitty:

• this whole affair is smoke and mirrors.

the obscenity charge is completely trumped up from what i can tell and faux-smarty pants dudes like olbermann are beating up on him because dude can't speak well and seems slow-witted? that whole story and interview was just a bunch of patronizing innuendo...i thought that the democratic process was supposed to be open to all citizens of your country including the stupid and the duped (GWB).

keith olbermann is a petty narcissist .

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    Never mind Olbermann, it was, according to the NYT, "Representative James E. Clyburn, Democrat of South Carolina and the House majority whip, [who] suggested that Mr. Greene was a ???Republican plant??? and that the circumstance reeked of the ???shenanigans??? that have become the state???s trademark. "

The guy never put out an ad, never held a rally, never put out a single sign, lives on unemployment, and yet somehow paid the ten grand to register his candidacy and beat a heavy favorite for the Dem nomination to run for US Senate. That doesn't happen in 2010 without something being monstrously wrong.

I'm not criticizing Alvin Greene, I'm echoing the sentiment of Clyburn and others who feel that this primary was totally fixed in order to suit the nefarious purposes of the shady SC conservative political establishment. The news clip posted was just to fill in the background. Peep the article for the info without smarmy Olbermann.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/12/us/politics/12greene.html?ref=politics

• SC rides for Olbermann.

I do, at least.

• I'm not criticizing Alvin Greene, I'm echoing the sentiment of Clyburn and others who feel that this primary was totally fixed in order to suit the nefarious purposes of the shady SC conservative political establishment.

but no proof of anything illegal in relation to the election has been tendered. it's a bunch of circumstantial evidence and innuendo and until i see any actual proof of illegality why should i assume he is "republican plant". also, even if he is in the sense that he was encouraged and financed by republicans, is that an illegal thing to do? i don;t the answer to that question but the point is that this is politics and to whine and complain about it just seems, both partisan and misleading.

where was cylburn and the other democrat party elders when it counted? they were asleep at the switch and totally deserve this.

final comment- i just can;t stand olberman for so many valid reasons and i realize some people on here really respect him or whatever but to me he is the perfect example of the person people go to when they want their political/ideological beliefs confirmed.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    if he is a plant, yes, that's illegal

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127747650
    Well, I mean, we've had this happen before. The most graphic example, when I was the district attorney in 1992, I prosecuted a Republican operative who used campaign money from his sister's campaign for lieutenant governor to pay the filing fee for an unemployed African-American shrimp fisherman out on bond for selling cocaine, to run against Arthur Ravenel, the congressman in Charleston.

Sure it's circumstantial at this point I'm curious to see what develops from what *appears* to be quite an odd set of circumstances. I can see what Clyburn termed these "shenanigans" happening for the local sheriff's race, it was surprising to see on a larger stage. Maybe it shouldn't be.

For the record, I don't watch Olbermann or care much either way about him, I was just looking for a clip that told the major parts of the story (which took place in the setup to the interview mainly).

Thanks for the context in the NPR link . . . I didn't see that.

• fauxteur said:
    if he is a plant, yes, that's illegal

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127747650
    Well, I mean, we've had this happen before. The most graphic example, when I was the district attorney in 1992, I prosecuted a Republican operative who used campaign money from his sister's campaign for lieutenant governor to pay the filing fee for an unemployed African-American shrimp fisherman out on bond for selling cocaine, to run against Arthur Ravenel, the congressman in Charleston.

that article is simply a repetition of the innuendos and veiled and not so-veiled accusations that have been put out by the democratic party. no other points of view are put forward whatsoever.

secondly, it does not specify what the illegal act was that was prosecuted in the case of the fisherman in the npr story. just saying it is illegal "to plant" candidates is extremely vague and probably entirely misleading. it sounds like the operative in that case may have misappropriated funds or breached his trustee duties in some way.

simply encouraging a person to run and even giving him money to do so sounds prima facie lawful. i thought almost anyone (barring those under the age of majority or with certain types of convictions for dishonesty offences) was allowed to play the political game.

he may or may not be a pawn, but all this griping is just sour grapes until real evidence of illegality is put on the table. its a curious story for sure and we'll see how it shakes out but i find the entire framing of this story thus far to be informed by elitism, smugness, "common sense" and a few other bad things i won;t mention....

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm with the canuck...except for the Olberman bashing (he's all-time for sportscenter): if the dude really is an plant--an idiotic pawn in the game plant--how could that not help the Dem's cause? If your electorate is worth a shit, it's an open and shut case, if true. If it's that blazingly obvious, and that horrible, then boom you should be able to beat him (and anyone even remotely associated with the whole thing) easily.