I suppose it had to happen sooner or later...

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
A Northern Soul movie.

Extra credit for using So Is The Sun in the trailer, points off for the "and they say white men can't move..." bit at the end.

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    god that looks horrible.

• jlee said:
    god that looks horrible.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've no doubt it will be :talib: as a movie, but I'm sure the music will go some way towards making up for it.

Doing a Google search for that World Column joint, I came across this. There's some tremendous stuff on here. To be honest, although I like the traditional Wigan sound, I always preferred the mid-70s Blackpool Mecca/Cleethorpes sound when I was a kid.

• i blame amy winehouse for this brit faux soul re-revival

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    traditional Wigan sound

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    A Northern Soul movie.

Northern England LOL, WACK!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Breez said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    A Northern Soul movie.

BAN

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Looks alot like Saturday Night Fever.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I've no doubt it will be :talib: as a movie, but I'm sure the music will go some way towards making up for it.

Doing a Google search for that World Column joint, I came across this. There's some tremendous stuff on here. To be honest, although I like the traditional Wigan sound, I always preferred the mid-70s Blackpool Mecca/Cleethorpes sound when I was a kid.

My sentiments as well....

As a young 16 year old kid growing up near Leeds I started going to Cleethorpes All Dayers and Blackpool Mecca in 1977. I never wanted to go to Wigan with their narrow minded view of what great soul music was. Cleethorpes Wintergardens played Northern and new stuff, Blackpool Mecca mostly new.
    I started with Northern Soul at school in 74, and straight to All Nighters and All Dayers when I was 16. Discovered Disco and Jazz-Funk half a year later and jumped ship. Then it became every Friday checking out Ian Dewhurst / Paul Schofield at Leeds Central Club, and Saturdays was Rafters with Colin Curtis (every few months down at the Ritz All Dayers with Colin Curtis as well). Happy days....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You are Mark Wimmers and I claim my prize.

• is there a gramlin yet for "take that shit to the brits.com"?

HarveyCanal said:
    traditional Wigan sound

Stay in it.

DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    traditional Wigan sound

Stay in it.

My own? Or someone esle's that I would then try to call my own?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

"what you mean WE paleface?"

"I honestly believe that people of my generation despise authenticity, mostly because they're all so envious of it."

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Breez said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    A Northern Soul movie.

BAN

Your name alone should get you ban, JIMSTER...... WACK!!!

• this thread is degenerating nicely. first beef of the new strut?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    fishmongerfunk said:
    this thread is degenerating nicely. first beef of the new strut?

I ain't beefing, just goofing. I love everyone!

HarveyCanal said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    traditional Wigan sound

Stay in it.

Harv, it's not as if you've ever let not knowing what the fuck you're talking about stop you from sounding off on something before, but...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I shit a big bowl of authenticity every morning

DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    traditional Wigan sound

Stay in it.

Harv, it's not as if you've ever let not knowing what the fuck you're talking about stop you from sounding off on something before, but...

^^^Wigan 4 Life.

• Breez said:
    fishmongerfunk said:

i was jokingly referring to HC who is actually displaying a tremendous amount of restraint (for him) in this thread so far.

fishmongerfunk said:
    Breez said:
    fishmongerfunk said:

i was jokingly referring to HC who is actually displaying a tremendous amount of restraint (for him) in this thread so far.

Told y'all I'm turning over a new leaf...and then smoking it of course...but still.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Told y'all I'm turning over a new leaf...and then smoking it of course...but still.

LOL

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Blue Juice, while not a Northern Soul film, had Norther Soulie bits (+ Keb Darge)

Also had Edwin Starr covering Movin' On Up by Primal Scream over the end credits which is STILL not avaliable.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Music Inspired them

Dance liberated them

Film cliched them

Seriously, I truly, truly, truly cannot handle any more cliched pieces of british period whimsy. It's like our equally painful victorian movies have been replaced by a constant stream of cheeky-lad-likes-girl-gets-in-a-spot-of-bother-all-ends-happily shite.

Junior said:
    Music Inspired them

Dance liberated them

Film cliched them

Seriously, I truly, truly, truly cannot handle any more cliched pieces of british period whimsy. It's like our equally painful victorian movies have been replaced by a constant stream of cheeky-lad-likes-girl-gets-in-a-spot-of-bother-all-ends-happily shite.

Life On Mars has a lot to answer for. I dunno whether it's because I'm old enough to have lived through the times that are so often being depicted in TV drama nowadays, but for every one of these things where I find myself admiring the level of attention to the period detail or certain other aspects of the mise-en-scene, there are two or three where all the good work is undone in that one moment where a central casting punk-rock type, complete with foot-high Schiaparelli pink mohawk and heavily-studded biker jacket, walks across the shot. In 1977. It's the modern equivalent of the stock Hollywood depiction of London - Routemasters, red telephone boxes, bowler-hatted city gents, and Big Ben clearly visible from anywhere in the city.

This thing looks like it could make a reasonably diverting midweek TV drama on Five or BBC3, and there's almost certainly a good movie to be made about or around that scene. I doubt this is it, though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah the whole thing smells of a small screen project made big. I'd have to put a lot of blame for this kind of thing on East Is East as well, ever since that came out it seems the Brit film industry has switched its focus onto doing these kind of slightly grim up north but everyone's a cheeky chappy period dramadies which latch onto a theme.

On the plus side, if it does do well there might be a decent cash in documentary series made.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Serious doe, despite being Northern, I've always finger-crucified these nights. They are always popular because of the air of elitism surrounding the records, but I could never see myself going home and spinning "Northern" for my own personal pleasure. The sound does nowt for me. I suspect the DJs would say the same off the record

Modern and Boogie 4 days doe

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    . They are always popular because of the air of elitism surrounding the records
    Super dedicated Northern Soul DJs definetly have an air of

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

about them......