iPhone 4

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Brian said:
    Cosmo, I'm using a Tour right now and really like it but if you're only doing light emailing, an iPhone might be more suitable for you. If you're on Sprint or Verizion, the Tour is good if you're going out of the country but beyond that...

As far as AT&T's new plans with no unlimited data go, I would be very afraid of that. Trust that you can easily go through 2GB; especially with whatever new apps are coming out. Just upgrading the camera = more data usage.

Hold up - break that down. Unless you're using email + 3G to transfer attachments of HD video all the time, I don't really see how you're gonna break the 2GB barrier. I use the hell out of my iPhone away from wifi to check email and surf the web but based on the calculator, I don't even use .3 GB a month. Every report I've seen has suggested that 2GB is a high ceiling for the vast majority of users. Personally, I don't have a problem with tiered data but I also have the grandfathered-in unlimited plan so at least I have a choice.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I easily use 2GB on my Blackberry with minimal websurfing, personal and work email, and Pandora for about 30-45 minutes everyday. A 2GB ceiling is fine but overage is always ridiculous.

Brian said:
    I easily use 2GB on my Blackberry with minimal websurfing, personal and work email, and Pandora for about 30-45 minutes everyday. A 2GB ceiling is fine but overage is always ridiculous.

Ah, I don't stream audio much.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    minneap said:
    Any word yet on free tethering/wifi hotspot connectivity for this iPhone?

Two different questions there, no?

In any case, tethering is supposed to be an add'l $20/month. Ouch. And supposedly, you can't tether an iPad to an iPhone (unless you jailbreak the latter).

Iphone has had - I thought - free wifi hotspot availability at Starbucks but not universal AT&T hotspot access.

Nah I was talking about the phone actually becoming the wifi hotspot similiar to an Android phone. I know they can connect to a wifi signal but I didn't know if there was a way to turn the iPhone into a hotspot.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Brian said:

Ah, I don't stream audio much.

streaming audio eats up a LOT.

using that calculator i was up at 2.1 w/liberal usage estimates, including way more streaming audio usage than i actually usually consume. when i brought that streaming audio number down i dropped to like 1.3/4 gb.

minneap said:
    mannybolone said:
    minneap said:
    Any word yet on free tethering/wifi hotspot connectivity for this iPhone?

Two different questions there, no?

In any case, tethering is supposed to be an add'l $20/month. Ouch. And supposedly, you can't tether an iPad to an iPhone (unless you jailbreak the latter).

Iphone has had - I thought - free wifi hotspot availability at Starbucks but not universal AT&T hotspot access.

Nah I was talking about the phone actually becoming the wifi hotspot similiar to an Android phone. I know they can connect to a wifi signal but I didn't know if there was a way to turn the iPhone into a hotspot.

Ah, ok.

Here's more info on AT&T tethering option: http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_15211942?nclick_check=1

What is not clear is what kind of tethering the iPhone will support. It looks like it will be either USB or Bluetooth but NOT wifi. And AT&T will charge you $20 for the tethering option.

With a jailbroken iPhone, you can already do *wifi tethering* however. Not sure how that may change with iOS 4.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    This feels like the first merely incremental iPhone upgrade, but perhaps the new OS and hardware additions sets a base for potential major changes down the road. On first blush, feels like the first time that some smartphone alternatives are viable choices (mainly android phones running Froyo), and not just because of having poor AT&T service in your area.

dgriot said:
    This feels like the first merely incremental iPhone upgrade

Naw, the 3GS was far more incremental. Though faster, the only real hardware upgrade was a compass!

Combine the design changes, a few hardware upgrades (HD video being the most significant) and an upgraded OS, this is a decent step-up. As a 3G owner, I'm definitely upgrading. If I had a 3GS though, I'd be more reluctant.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    dgriot said:
    This feels like the first merely incremental iPhone upgrade

Naw, the 3GS was far more incremental. Though faster, the only real hardware upgrade was a compass!

Combine the design changes, a few hardware upgrades (HD video being the most significant) and an upgraded OS, this is a decent step-up. As a 3G owner, I'm definitely upgrading. If I had a 3GS though, I'd be more reluctant.

with OS4 giving it new life, i feel my 3GS will keep me happy for the time being.

Even though pre-ordering on the first day was a pain in the ass b/c of the AT&T's servers, I'm glad I persevered. Got mine in on Wed. morning.

Overall...it's pretty damn sweet. Feels and looks super sharp and the boost in processing speed is massive compared to my old iPhone 3G.

The antenna/hand-holding issue (http://www.macworld.com/article/152321/2010/06/iphone4_antenna.html) is completely real and astoundingly lame from an engineering standpoint.

I like that Apple's solution is "buy our oversized $30 rubber band!" GTFOOHWTBS.

But other than that? I ain't mad.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    rkwpark said:

my only concern is att month plans look expensive in comparison to sprint.

At this point, AT&T is pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting an iPhone. For all the things Verizon does to piss me off, I'm only about 10% as dissatisfied as I was when I switched from AT&T/Cingular. So for now, all I can do is cast jealous glances over my CrackBerry at the iPhone users and their blissful user interface experience.

http://www.engadget.com/product/droid-x

dont want to argue about what is better, but I'd go with android over iOS

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    On first blush, feels like the first time that some smartphone alternatives are viable choices (mainly android phones running Froyo), and not just because of having poor AT&T service in your area.

Not to threadjack here but I really love this Droid. I've never owned an iPhone but my two roommates have 3gses (sp?) and they're both impressed with the android. Seven customizable home screens, faster browser, 8 megapixel camera, tethering without any hackage, and flash support. Worldstarhiphop all up in my browser dun!