iPhone 4

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
whoa

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    FaceTime :pasue:

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i was considering getting the htc evo but the new iphone makes it look like a boost mobile phone.

my only concern is att month plans look expensive in comparison to sprint.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    gloom said:
    FaceTime

Honestly, who cares--I just want it to be faster.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    I would definitely cop it, but I got the 3GS last June.

Design looks way better than old style. Screen is insane...960x640

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    gloom said:
    FaceTime

Honestly, who cares--I just want it to be faster.

And, some decent service for the phone part would be cool.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The one thing I don't get is, how you gonna upgrade the phone and still have the same storage size???

16/32 still???

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    wow, i want one and ive only had my 3GS for 7 months.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is a more minor feature but the fact that you can now annotate e-books might tip me into copping an iPad, especially given how many academic book publishers are coming out with electronic versions.

Meanwhile, the HD video capabilities on the next iPhone should have Flip sweating bullets.

FaceTime would be even more impressive if you could use it with iChat or Skype. Next level!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    How much do you all pay monthly?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    50euros per month incl. unlimited internet traffic on 3G and alot of calls (not 3G i think?). i have the 32GB 3GS. pretty good deals here in sweden for this stuff i think? good thing about living in a country in love with technology.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    DOR said:
    The one thing I don't get is, how you gonna upgrade the phone and still have the same storage size???

16/32 still???

meh. any effort to improve the storage capacity should just be put into improving battery life, imo. i don't watch movies on there, and if the battery life were better i could use rhapsody for 1/2 of my music needs. especially now that you can download playlists for use offline..

the biggest game-changer IMO w/iphone 4 is the flash & zoom on the camera. that thing's going to take waaaay better pictures, not to mention being able to take them at all in the dark.

i would never use facetime..but it's cool that it's there. multitasking is going to be great, but i guess we already knew about that.

i already have the Stanza app for book reading & PDF viewing.

Also, I'm really disappointed that there was no announcement about an itunes cloud service to replace Lala...was really looking forward to that!!

willie_fugal said:
    DOR said:

16/32 still???

meh. any effort to improve the storage capacity should just be put into improving battery life, imo. i don't watch movies on there, and if the battery life were better i could use rhapsody for 1/2 of my music needs. especially now that you can download playlists for use offline..

the biggest game-changer IMO w/iphone 4 is the flash & zoom on the camera. that thing's going to take waaaay better pictures, not to mention being able to take them at all in the dark.

i would never use facetime..but it's cool that it's there. multitasking is going to be great, but i guess we already knew about that.

i already have the Stanza app for book reading & PDF viewing.

I agree on the battery life aspect. It's just that, consumers are use to new products being upgraded. With apple, could you image them coming out with a new touch, ipad, ipod, etc and not upgrading storage? I could understand going from 3G to 3Gs not putting more storage, but this is a fairly major upgrade with many new capabilities.

The fact is, apple not only pushes this as a media player, but now there is 720p recording capabilities among other things.

Don't get me wrong, there is a bunch of stuff I like with this release. Just was hoping for a 64GB version.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    want.
    will be leaving behind my years as a satisfied Blackberry user for this fancy little toy, now that it has seemingly caught up on the email level and other administrative things that it lacked in the past, i'm due for an upgrade so i should get a better price too says at&t.
    incidentally, i spent an hour on the phone with at&t today and it was a good move. i have been with them for over 10 years.
    i explained to them that i was fed up with paying $150 a month on my phone bill and they changed my plan around and now my bill should be around $85 a month, big improvement.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Ya - side with you on the bberry spiel. I've been with T-Mobile for about 6 years now. No mas. I'm actually going pay to get out of my contract early to cop one of these -- called T-Mobile to confirm the remaining length on my contract.

Just so tired of blackberry bs and watching everyone do rad shit with their iphones in front of my face. I'll pull up a map when someone else with an iphone has done the same, we'll be looking for the same shit, and my blackberry "curve" will give me that bullshit clock again and again. F*ck a keyboard, I'm not writing novels anyway, and it'll make me start writing shorter emails.

Amped.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've had my 3gs since January and it seems like I'll be ok with the 0s4 upgrade and the 3gs. I'd love a iphone 4, but it seems like the software upgrade will cover most things on the 3gs too, so it's not like I'll be totally left out. I knew this was going to happen when I bought mine. They always come out with something new after I finally break down and get one.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Contract expires nest month, perfect time for an upgrade !

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I was more excited about the iOS4 upgrade than anything else and still pretty much am. I know once my girl gets an iPhone 4 I'm going to be wanting it. But, I'll deal with my 3GS for awhile.

On a side note, I went on vacation recently by plane and was amazed at how many people of all ages are rocking an iPhone. I'm sure those that live in big cities see this everyday, but maaaan.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive waited for a minute and now im heading towards coppin an IPhone.

I just dont want to spend ANY time up in the Apple Clurbs waiting on line and shit.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    rkwpark said:

my only concern is att month plans look expensive in comparison to sprint.

At this point, AT&T is pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting an iPhone. For all the things Verizon does to piss me off, I'm only about 10% as dissatisfied as I was when I switched from AT&T/Cingular. So for now, all I can do is cast jealous glances over my CrackBerry at the iPhone users and their blissful user interface experience.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    gravelheadwrap said:

On a side note, I went on vacation recently by plane and was amazed at how many people of all ages are rocking an iPhone. I'm sure those that live in big cities see this everyday, but maaaan.

Well to put it in some sort of perspective???Steve Jobs said Apple had been selling an iPad every 3 seconds since it was launched. They cost a minimum of $500 I think.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was gonna get the BlackBerry Tour but this might be the thing that sways me over to iPhone. Yes, I do a fair amount of emails and texts on my phone but not exclusively or even more so than so many other people that have an iPhone. Plus I have 2 other Macs so teh idea of everything being all integrated is very attractive.

AT&T servies is the only thing that scares me away, but other than that can anyone tell me why I SHOULDN'T get an iPhone G4 instead of a BlackBerry Tour?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    For those of you thinking of copping, be aware that AT&T ended their unlimited data plans YESTERDAY.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-06-03/news/21655064_1_wireless-data-at-t-data-plan

If you already had one, you'll get grandfathered in, but all new plans (i.e. iPhone 4, iPad, etc) now have data caps.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    For those of you thinking of copping, be aware that AT&T ended their unlimited data plans YESTERDAY.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-06-03/news/21655064_1_wireless-data-at-t-data-plan

If you already had one, you'll get grandfathered in, but all new plans (i.e. iPhone 4, iPad, etc) now have data caps.

Interesting, but I'm not sure what tier I'd fall into. Granted, if I had an iphone I'd be using a lot more web time than I do on bberry, but for the most part, I can't imagine that I'd ever go over 2 gigs -- that seems sort of crazy. And if that's the case, it's $5.00 cheaper than it has been.

Woimsah said:
    prof_rockwell said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure what tier I'd fall into. Granted, if I had an iphone I'd be using a lot more web time than I do on bberry, but for the most part, I can't imagine that I'd ever go over 2 gigs -- that seems sort of crazy. And if that's the case, it's $5.00 cheaper than it has been.

it seems pretty easy to stay under 2 gigs, and i'm a relatively heavy web user on the iphone
    http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Looks like Jobs' army nailed this one. I gotta believe I'd rarely use FaceTime but as it's been said before, it's definitely a cool feature. I'm a little bummed as I just ordered an HTC Incredible on Verizon. Thank god for their 30 grace period. Any word yet on free tethering/wifi hotspot connectivity for this iPhone?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Cosmo, I'm using a Tour right now and really like it but if you're only doing light emailing, an iPhone might be more suitable for you. If you're on Sprint or Verizion, the Tour is good if you're going out of the country but beyond that...

As far as AT&T's new plans with no unlimited data go, I would be very afraid of that. Trust that you can easily go through 2GB; especially with whatever new apps are coming out. Just upgrading the camera = more data usage.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Granted, if I had an iphone I'd be using a lot more web time than I do on bberry, but for the most part, I can't imagine that I'd ever go over 2 gigs -- that seems sort of crazy. And if that's the case, it's $5.00 cheaper than it has been.

Problem is if you do go over 2 gig they charge you $10, so you end up paying $5 more if you do go over.

Brian said:
    Trust that you can easily go through 2GB; especially with whatever new apps are coming out. Just upgrading the camera = more data usage.

co-sign. Some folks on another site were posting their usages, and most were up in the 1-1.8 gig range, and one guy was consistently over 2 gigs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    minneap said:
    Any word yet on free tethering/wifi hotspot connectivity for this iPhone?

Two different questions there, no?

In any case, tethering is supposed to be an add'l $20/month. Ouch. And supposedly, you can't tether an iPad to an iPhone (unless you jailbreak the latter).

Iphone has had - I thought - free wifi hotspot availability at Starbucks but not universal AT&T hotspot access.