Unforgiven

2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Okem said:
    If you haven't already, watch Deadwood.

I ride...

Great series. One of my all time favs. Always felt like if Shakespeare was alive, that would be the show he would write.

I remember watching Open Range in the theater. If you can watch it in some HD format on a big screen, it's a fairly decent flick (a lil slow), with a pretty great final showdown.

@ 4:19 :hard_as_fuck:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie said:
    batmon said:
    Okem said:
    batmon said:
    Okem said:

This was next up on my questions.

At first glance Deadwood seem a little on the Sex In The City in the West (Glossed up HBO productons) type.

Then after many hours on RDR, ive become curious to what ive missed.

Deadwood is one of my favourite HBO productions, I can't recommend it enough.

It's as raw as any Western film I've seen, and they generally deal with your basic battle of good vs bad, with a gunfight showdown. Deadwood lacks gunfights, preferring to get in close and end it quickly with a knife, but it also goes a lot deeper than your average Western.

Deeper meaning Male Soap Opera?

SPOILERS

Deadwood is superior because it transcends its overwhelming macho male and masculine themes with amazing writing and acting. Not to mention it has excellent female roles that do not include shopping, babies or getting a man..

Deep Male Emotions?

I think that vidja game dun scrambled your brain.

Yes, there be deep male emotions on display. Ladies' and whores' too. Brains and guts also.

No, there is little in the way of; shoe talk, foodie lunches, metrosexual art fag bffs, omg hair flicking or deafening ticking of biological clocks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    batmon said:
    Okem said:
    batmon said:
    Okem said:

This was next up on my questions.

At first glance Deadwood seem a little on the Sex In The City in the West (Glossed up HBO productons) type.

Then after many hours on RDR, ive become curious to what ive missed.

Deadwood is one of my favourite HBO productions, I can't recommend it enough.

It's as raw as any Western film I've seen, and they generally deal with your basic battle of good vs bad, with a gunfight showdown. Deadwood lacks gunfights, preferring to get in close and end it quickly with a knife, but it also goes a lot deeper than your average Western.

Deeper meaning Male Soap Opera?

SPOILERS

Deadwood is superior because it transcends its overwhelming macho male and masculine themes with amazing writing and acting. Not to mention it has excellent female roles that do not include shopping, babies or getting a man..

Deep Male Emotions?

I think that vidja game dun scrambled your brain.

Yes, there be deep male emotions on display. Ladies' and whores' too. Brains and guts also.

No, there is little in the way of; shoe talk, foodie lunches, metrosexual art fag bffs, omg hair flicking or deafening ticking of biological clocks.

You sound emotional.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Deeply.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I thought Unforgiven was great when I first saw it but repeated viewing have left me more ambivalent. I think for complexity and artistic perfection nothing in the Eastwood pantheon can touch "Outlaw Josey Wales". Probably my favorite movie ending ever. Can't find it on youtube right now but here's some other favorite scenes:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i've actually been meaning to give 'silverado' another run to see how it aged. i remember liking it when i was young.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    everybody in this thread is crazy, unforgiven is top 5 material.

i grew up watching the og eastwood stuff and this movie ranks among the best in his career, westerns, and movies in general.

there's a reason eastwood bought the script and sat on it for over a decade before he thought he was the right age for the part.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BATMON, DEADWOOD = THE WIRE IN SOUTH DAKOTA

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i grew up on THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JR.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    unforgiven was good, not great.
    nothing fucking with JArmusch' s Dead Man

you can always identify somebody who doesn't like Westerns when they recommend Dead Man as a great Western

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Brian said:
    i grew up on THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JR.

i need to check out that show again. i remember enjoying it, and i haven't seen it since it aired.

didn't the show end with a cliffhanger and it never got renewed?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Something like that I think. Series DVDs came out a few years ago but I haven't copped.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I liked Unforgiven when I first saw it, but like it even more after reading some smarty break it down in TNY in a pretty recent article on Eastwood: just like you movie guys are saying...that it was a commentary not only on Westerns, but Eastwood's career as well. That drawn-out scene when the kid gets his first chance to kill really is unbearable.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Unforgiven is a great movie; I'd recommend it above a lot of other stuff.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Junior said:
    It's a really decent modern western but I just don't know if I could personally rank it above most of the following (in no particular order) as I think part of the reason it's ranked quite so highly is due to it's unexpected revitalisation of a dead genre and it's postmodernism.:

The Good, the Bad And The Ugly
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    High Noon
    The Wild Bunch
    High Plains Drifter
    Django
    The Searchers
    Stagecoach
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Fistful of Dollars
    For A Few Dollars More
    Ride The Hard Country
    Django...Kill

It's worth mentioning that I'm not really that up to scratch on Westerns and there's a lot of fifties classics I've never seen.

I love me some westerns, and I'd say that's a pretty thorough list - all those movies are great. I assume you meant Ride The High Country a/k/a Guns in the Afternoon - that's one of my favourite Peckinpah westerns, and kind of slept-on imo. As far as slept-on Eastwood westerns go, the lack of mentions for Pale Rider in this thread would suggest it's a good candidate.

My Darling Clementine is one of my favourite post-war westerns, and arguably the best telling of the Wyatt Earp/Doc Holliday/Clanton gang tale.

In recent times, though, nothing's seeing The Proposition for me. They really brought it back hard with that one.

dukeofdelridge said:
    I liked Unforgiven when I first saw it, but like it even more after reading some smarty break it down in TNY in a pretty recent article on Eastwood: just like you movie guys are saying...that it was a commentary not only on Westerns, but Eastwood's career as well. That drawn-out scene when the kid gets his first chance to kill really is unbearable.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I like it. Don Siegel tried to do something similar with John Wayne in The Shootist - blatantly so in the opening montage. The personae of actors like Eastwood and Wayne in particular are so closely interwoven with western movie mythology that it becomes difficult to see their performances as just performances after a while, especially in their later westerns. I'm probably one of the few people on here who's old enough to remember the controversy caused by Wayne's first-ever on-screen death in The Cowboys in '72 - it's hard to imagine something so straightforward having quite that kind of impact on audiences nowadays.

bassie said:
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

Great film.

• Okem said:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Barbarosa......anyone....w/ Willie Nelson and Gary Busey.
    I havent seen it since 82/83 on late night HBO.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    As much as I like Ray Winstone i really hated "The Proposition".

• Not related to unforgiven but:

Here's a damn good introduction to Spaghetti Westerns list with some preview clips:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/spaghetti-westerns,41344/

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

In recent times, though, nothing's seeing The Proposition for me.

I really liked The Unforgiven when it came out, but yeah, this is on another level.