Hotel California

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
What is your view on this track?

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    A pus spewing sore on the ass cheek of pop music. It has a very special position in my my most hated canon alongside Hey Jude and American Pie as hideous pieces of whimsy that seem to last an eternity.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    skel said:

Anthemic, but should it be filed under 'guilty pleasures'? Seems a bit played, but the thrill of first hearing it was undeniable, mang.

Junior said:
    A pus spewing sore on the ass cheek of pop music. It has a very special position in my my most hated canon alongside Hey Jude and American Pie as hideous pieces of whimsy that seem to last an eternity.

We haven't had that spirit here since, 1969?

b/w

You just can't kill the beast.

You even hatting on the Gypsy Kings version?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's so deep

While it's pretty horrendous after the intro guitar I have a soft spot for the Gypsy Kings version thanks to Big Lebowski and the fact that I can horrify Hotel California lovers who don't know the version when it "kicks in". It's still just a bit of spit and shine on a turd though.

I would be interested to know if there isn't actually a version out there that achieves the polish required to hide the shit it's based on.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    No love for dueling guitars?

I remember reading a magazine about 10 years ago that named it the greatest guitar solo OF ALL TIME.

Junior said:
    It's so deep

Haha, yerrrs. A bygone era. You can never leave.

It does go on a bit.

Paul said:

I remember reading a magazine about 10 years ago that named it the greatest guitar solo OF ALL TIME.

This bit reminds me of the theme music to the og Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, which was also by The Eagles. Prefer it to Hotel.

• Junior said:
    American Pie

This is the number one tune that makes me switch off the radio or leave the room as soon as I hear it. Absolute shower of shit, made worse by the fact that it is one of those songs that any chump with a guitar thinks it's a good idea to play.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    The day the music died?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    It's one of those songs that I don't hate but don't really need to hear again. I love the Eagles and, especially Joe Walsh. So I like the guitar solo a lot. But One of These Nights is their best lp.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    They are on record as saying they were listening to a lot of Steely Dan at the time and wanted to kind of emulate the kind of cryptic, abstract and surreal storytelling of the Don and Walt show.

Except without the lyrical talent.

Here's one, doe:

"So I called up the captain,
    ???please bring me my wine???
    He said, ???we haven???t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"

Is the Captain on about the gusto and/or thirstiness of the requester (a la "That's the spirit") or
    Is the Captain saying "Dude, we ran out of that tipple in 1969. We do have 2-for-1 on Bud Lite, doe...."

I gots to know.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Happ'n that trying to chime wine and spirit is jarring in the extreme.
    Fagen and Becker would have found the elegance to resolve it properly without resort to the Eaglish crowbar.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    skel said:
    Happ'n that trying to chime wine and spirit is jarring in the extreme.
    Fagen and Becker would have found the elegance to resolve it properly without resort to the Eaglish crowbar.

Man up and vote TIPPLE or GUSTO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overrated

Both Rene & Angela and Al B. Sure do interesting covers.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Paul said:

This bit reminds me of the theme music to the og Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, which was also by The Eagles. Prefer it to Hotel.

I did not know that.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rich guy rock

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    My Dad freaks out whenever this song comes on the radio. Ex-hippie-old-dude-catnip.

• i beleive this is an "answer song" to steely dan's "everything you did" that contains the snarky line "turn up the eagles, the neighbours are listening".

the eagles response in the song is: "they try to stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast"

i hate the song because it has been overplayed and the iconic associations are just irritating (rich guy music indeed) but it is an extremely well-written and played tune. again, not my cup of tea but i can recognize its merit...

i think if it were some private press, lesbian folk thing, certain dudes would be riding hard.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    "So I called up the captain,
    ???please bring me my wine???
    He said, ???we haven???t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"

Is the Captain on about the gusto and/or thirstiness of the requester (a la "That's the spirit") or
    Is the Captain saying "Dude, we ran out of that tipple in 1969. We do have 2-for-1 on Bud Lite, doe...."

I gots to know.

...Henley responded,

"Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention???and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes."

• it came on while i was flipping through radio stations the other day. for the first time ever, i didn't change the station as soon as i realized that it was "hotel california." i know i'm not getting rich, so i guess i'm getting old.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    edith head said:
    rich guy rock

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    When I was a kid I saw an old Outer Limits about a luxury hotel that once you go in, you can never leave. I always figured that's what they based the song on, lmfao

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    skel said:

Kind of overplayed, and somewhat of its time. Not the Eagles song I'd put in the time capsule.

fishmongerfunk said:
    again, not my cup of tea but i can recognize its merit...

i think if it were some private press, lesbian folk thing, certain dudes would be riding hard.
    Agreed.
    And i will ride for "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys Of Summer". Two of the best pop hits of the 80's, not necesarily underated...just great songs. Glen Frey's solo stuff, however, can go to hell.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Biggest reggae song in history.

Anyway, the best tune on that album is Randy Meisner's "Try and Love Again."

Plantweed said:
    Biggest reggae song in history.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Go back and listen again. It's got a reggae rhythm with a Latin chord progression and melody.

Plantweed said:
    Go back and listen again. It's got a reggae rhythm with a Latin chord progression and melody.

Oh, God, I was hoping you weren't serious.

It's got a cod-reggae rhythm, is what it's got. An LA sessioner's idea of reggae. Yamaha organ preset reggae. That doesn't make it a reggae song. Moreover, I doubt Hotel California is the first song that comes to mind when you mention the word "reggae" to the average person. The Barrett brothers and Sly & Robbie play reggae - Don Henley and Randy Meisner don't. Mother And Child Reunion jams harder than Hotel California. Sorry if that makes me sound like a snob.

"Mother And Child Reunion jams harder than..." is the new "you sound poor"