Teegarden & Van Winkle (and such...)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Rediscovered this yesterday. Had it since forever but it's like dead-on for the early June listening. I know Tony rides.

This is the Atco pressing. Would love to grip a Plumm pressing. Gonna ride back and forth between this and Lee Michaels all weekend I think...

Anyway. Feel free to let this thread die or whatever. Or talk about beer or BLACK PEOPLE.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    By the way anyone got a clean R.I.P. o this?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ayo Raj, I'm not gonna let this board fall off, okay man? These fuckers need a kick in the ass straight talk.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Rediscovered this yesterday. Had it since forever but it's like dead-on for the early June listening. I know Tony rides.

This is the Atco pressing. Would love to grip a Plumm pressing. Gonna ride back and forth between this and Lee Michaels all weekend I think...

Anyway. Feel free to let this thread die or whatever. Or talk about beer or BLACK PEOPLE.

my man sketcher left this at my place a long time ago, i pull it out every year or so for a listen. it's about that time again, good look cos

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    In my recollection, THE MACK also rides for this...real talk.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    are these dudes from Detroit? non-real-head here who didn't know the deal, but i like the live clips i just checked out on youtube...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Lee Michaels

Another one I need pull out and listen to again. That's a lotta fury for 2 dudes.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    are these dudes from Detroit?.

yes

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    day said:
    Cosmo said:
    Lee Michaels

Another one I need pull out and listen to again. That's a lotta fury for 2 dudes.

Yeah didn't the record the whole record like straight through, on some 3 hour shit?

* Edit - just read the back of the jacket. It was actually 6 hours 45 minutes and the album was recorded. Fury indeed. Frosty is that motherfucker.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    That Lee Michaels joint is my shit!!! One of y'all will have to sell me an extra copy of the Teegarden & Van Winkle? Hook a brotha up!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    day said:
    Cosmo said:
    Lee Michaels

Yeah didn't the record the whole record like straight through, on some 3 hour shit?

* Edit - just read the back of the jacket. It was actually 6 hours 45 minutes and the album was recorded. Fury indeed. Frosty is that motherfucker.

That was the first Lee Michaels record I got. I found another one a few weeks later and was like "hell yeah, more drumbreakscreamingmadness". I got home and was like "WTF?!" Even his other live album couldn't touch the S/T.

:hijack:

I still haven't heard that T & V record...

• I rides for this. I put "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love" on my mix for Grain Edit a couple of years ago:
    http://grainedit.com/2008/03/18/mike-the-2600-king-exclusive-dj-mix

Really into this record, but as soon as you said Lee Michaels I got the hankerin' to go listen to that.

I don't have a rip of that Teegarden LP, but just found one of their "On Our Way" LP:
    http://vinyltapradio.blogspot.com/2010/01/teegarden-vanwinkle-on-our-way-1972.html

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Cosmo said:

I ride for that album! Might have to put it on today, had totally forgotten about it. Reminds me a little of the Pookah album, another woozy sureshot organ LP.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This is Teegarden & Van Winkle live, doing their organ-soul thing on local TV - Detroit Tube Works, ca. 1969. Would this be what the album sounds like?
    http://members.fortunecity.com/buddybeat/related/xparamints.jpg

And to think I mainly knew them from this - "God, Love & Rock & Roll," which made them one-hit wonders in 1970:

(BTW, how do you embed videos on this new site, anyway?)

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Bunch of flowers and shotgun.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I LOVE THAT SHIT!!!
    and its definitely right there with Lee Michaels

scarborough fair is soooooo dope
    but everything on that record got that stoned out grooove

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    tony your new avatar, yikes.

cos i love this T and VanW album!
    i would venture to say that psk turned me on to it in about 2000 and that it was actually a threshold record for me, i started looking for stuff like it when i hadn't done so before. i ride. hi buddy!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    they back up brother bob on this if you need some more T and VW:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    can i just say, that outta the 3 or 4 albums ive heard with these dudes, the frontlawn shutgun cover live album is the best one by a mile, also, it sorta reminds me of hansson karlsson records due to the simular set up, organ and drums only.. although the swedish duo is a bit more of a space flight, where teegarden and van winkle has the earthy soul sound..