How relevant is rare music anymore?

2»

Comments

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    @Spelunk.

I agree w/ Fugal, but I'd also like to emphasize: "It's cutting your own trail through the wilderness versus following someone else???s."

If you want to expand your style and discover new sounds, there is no substitute for sifting through large amounts of used records. I think it gives you a much more random sampling of the history of music than any online source. This is what keeps me digging.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    platurn said:
    Just curious as to what you Soulstrutters think at this point since practically every piece of music that's been put to wax by humans is now available for download in some far corner of the web if you know how to look for it.

Do people (or more so DJs/record collectors) care about music's limited availability the way we used to? Do you still get excited when you finally find that one thing you've been looking for forever, on record?

Is vinyl culture really making a comeback?

I only play vinyl out, so it being available on mp3 doesn't matter to me as much as what never makes it on to vinyl, for example the majority of new rap releases.

I'm probably not the target audience for what you're asking...rare only matters as far as how difficult it is to find something I really want.
    I don't flip records - so the dollar value of raer doesn't factor and I am infinitely more interested in the record for the music than the record as a thing.
    It doesn't help that over the years, about 97% of the rares I've seen people go apeshit over sound totally wack to me.
    At the end of it, I'd rather pay $50 for a D.R. Hooker repress than to never be able to (financially and/or justifiably) buy it at the original press cost of $2K+. Holding out for never - now what the f would that prove? How would thant enhance my life?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    is the question how relevant are rare records or rare digital only tracks ?

same concept:
    theres a whole nutha game of multi tracks going outside of the "rare vinyl" thing... and very, very few are a part of.

while s.erato has leveled the playing field for most, a few djs/producers have taken the "wash the label off" approach with digital remixes and edits. i think, for me its not only still relevant, but with everybody now equal due to s.erato, it makes it much more important to retain the exclusivity of _______ ( insert jaw dropping multi remix or acapella that NOBODY has)
    keeping things like this off the nets, and amongst friends.....so its just like back when you had to bust yo' ass to get a-list vinyl promo service.
    within this realm, the digital playing field is no longer level... and when your in the club and the song you know and love drops... in a context that youve neeeever heard it before...giving you that wtf is this... i neeeeed this now.
    at least for me, thats how it is.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    hey ***e, good to see you on here!

i would definitely say that rare music still has it's relevance amongst collectors and aficionados...but it's definitely been watered down since the internet started getting blog heavy.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    If anyone thinks that things have changed so drastically that everything is out there to be downloaded, you've got some growing to do.

That said, def alot of raers are now easy to play via serato, etc., and def alot out there in general for the casual listener. But there are still worlds beneath worlds....albeit the quantity of finds within those worlds are smaller and ever decreasing. But there's also a quality issue. Maybe some guy in Japan recorded a super rare 45 or 12 but it's 160 bit rate. Maybe there's isn't another that's accessible with a better bit rate just yet. Tis nice to play the record then.

And I do feel you guys on the digital edits thing and making stuff your own/adding your own style and twist to the digital files you've got. I can't wait to get to work on that myself.