Glee: the "funk episode"

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
oh holy hell...I hope some of y'all are catching this...

Comments

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    They saved the best (P-Funk) for the end, along with some borderline songs (Queen's 'Another One Bites The Dust' and Beck's 'Loser').

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    People on here watch Glee? I don't know why I'm surprised.

Beck and Queen are definitely, unequivocally, not funk.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I don't "watch Glee"...I swear! My wife was flipping through the channels and they said something about funk and I was like "whoa whoa I have to see this". I don't understand how my late 20s/early 30s friends think this is genuinely good.

Hey it's ok, you be you and all that. ;)

I do have a few female friends who express their love for it but as far as I can tell it's just the latest in their eternal campaign to watch as many cornily camp tv programmes as possible.

Never seen it though so maybe I'm missing out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Junior said:
    Never seen it though

^^^ This point usually essential for all truly-relevant Strut critiques

Yeah, the wife watches it - has 'em all downloaded. I myself only see it when I retire to the bedroom and she's pre-engrossed. It is quite tongue-in-cheek and the cheerleader teacher is very dry. They can sing an' all that, but it's by-the-book and a bit polished.

They covered Kanye's "Gold Digger" and didn't drop the N-bomb, for example.

Probably wise.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    Junior said:
    People on here watch Glee? I don't know why I'm surprised.

Beck and Queen are definitely, unequivocally, not funk.

my gf put that show on for a minute last night...we both laughed at how terrible it is...I remember seeing some dude about my age dancing and singing for a older looking ellen...and it was turribulls to say the least..what is the fascination with this show? don't get it....at all...I watched literally 3 or so minutes...and I want to sue them for the damage my eyes, ears, and soul sustained...

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I watch the show and like it. So do millions of other people, which is why it has the 9 PM Tuesday slot on FOX. I like musicals and Broadway and stuff, so it works for me.

It's a musical, so of course it's a bit corny. Plus, it takes place in a high school and the target audience is the teen demographic, so of course it will seem immature to older audiences. It has a feel-good message and basically addresses the importance of arts education, which I think is pretty cool. Sometimes they take risks with the music, but they have to include mainstream stuff like Kanye and Gaga in order to hold the attention of the young viewers. From the comments in this thread (and from talking to friends) it seems like the show appeals more to women than men. It might be hard to figure out the story line at this point since so much has happened with the characters in past episodes.

The funk episode wasn't very funky, but kids these days probably don't know what funk is anyway. "Give Up the Funk" and "Tell Me Something Good" were cool. They had pregnant girls dancing to "It's a Man's World" (more soul than funk, right?) which I liked (the performance more than the song). They have to include songs like Beck's "Loser" so as not to offend the funk hatterz. Even the Gaga episode wasn't all Gaga. The Madonna episode was my least favorite. I'm 22 and Madonna seems really old school to me, so a whole episode based on her songs had me lost.

Yeah fair enough - the whole thing just seems very contrived though, I understand that there's a big market here in the wake of stuff like Mamma Mia but all the trailers make it seem very calculated rather than, say, a true celebration of the musical etc.

Like I said though, never seen any of it beyond the trailers so was making a standard snap judgement on it from initial impressions anyway.

The Madonna one would probably be the only episode I would like to see.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Hatters stopped believing.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm glad they covered a Parliament song.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Almond said:
    The Madonna episode was my least favorite. I'm 22 and Madonna seems really old school to me, so a whole episode based on her songs had me lost.

:latte:

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    sorry but the show is terrible

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    High School High muthafuckas?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    batmon said:
    High School High muthafuckas?

Random fact: the actor who played the sleazy Harry Ellis character from Die Hard later directed High School High (and PCU).