How relevant is rare music anymore?

platurnplaturn 1 Post
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
Just curious as to what you Soulstrutters think at this point since practically every piece of music that's been put to wax by humans is now available for download in some far corner of the web if you know how to look for it.

Do people (or more so DJs/record collectors) care about music's limited availability the way we used to? Do you still get excited when you finally find that one thing you've been looking for forever, on record?

Is vinyl culture really making a comeback?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yes, I still get excited [pause]... but in the bigger scheme of things, I think the raerness of music is becoming less and less important.

There are still things that the interwebs can't help you with though, which I quite like.

• Welcome to the board, I caught you at Melt the other night and you killed it, so thanks.

I've collected records casually for a long ass time but I've never really coveted shit just because it was raer. That said, my balls sweat heavily when I chance upon a long time want. I don't know why that is considering I usually already have it in digital format. Must be the physicality of the item and the fact that I'm old enough to remember a time when the internet didn't exist.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Is this really Platurn's first post on The Strut?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    That said, my balls sweat heavily when I chance upon a long time want.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    the funny thing is I still find digging for records makes me different from everybody else. Rarity is not an issue. More like originality and format. True I buy rare/expensive boutique records. but, that's never as fun as dropping something no one has done(in your respective night) and making it work. And having everyone cop it cuz they have to ... that makes it your record in a sense. I don't claim the original .... just for us dudes. It never seems to grow old.

Yeah, I hear you on the thrill of finding stuff. I think newer generations of DJs/Music fans probably aren't going to get as excited about vinyl though.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    I think the raerness of music is becoming less and less important.

There are still things that the interwebs can't help you with though, which I quite like.

I think raerness is still important. Just as good as giving a crowd a buzz from a song they all know and can sing along too, is the pleasure from dropping some ish they've never heard before but are all feeling.

Although these days I can never tell if a bar full of *young people* who are vigourously nodding and swaying to a track do so because they like it, or because they're being ironic or something.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Cosmo said:

WELCOME hommie!

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    M*therf**kin???, spoon-bendin??? GIGANTOR vision said:
    these days I can never tell if a bar full of *young people* who are vigourously nodding and swaying to a track do so because they like it, or because they're being ironic or something.

so true - and chances are its not because they like it, sadly.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    it's cringe worthy seeing hipsters and young "trendsetters" walk into the club and mock the music right in front of the turntables. half the time i feel sorry for how stupid they look, the other half of the time, i wanna jump over the decks and backhand them in the nose.

it's a sad time we live in, maybe the dark ages of music... it's almost like everyone lacks soul and depth of character and identity... sheep (no pun intended) if you will....

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Interesting questions.

I'm a younger generation record collector/occasional dj, and I'm pretty indifferent to the rarity of a record. I buy rare stuff low, get a clean rip, play it for a few months, and sell it high. My collection consists of just enough records to throw a vinyl only night. Mostly cheap classics in various genres.

My attitude towards records probably has little to do with what the original poster meant by vinyl culture, but as a serious music fan I can't imagine living without vinyl. There's some stuff you really can't find online in a high quality format. And I've learned as much about music by digging through dollar bins as I have learned on the internet.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's up Platurn, welcome!

I think record digging is still relevant for folks who are serious about music. Some do it, some don't, it's true. It's not a disqualifier, but I definitely think dudes who think they can get it all online for free at this point, are kind of missing the point. There is still plenty of stuff that is not easy to get on the internet, for one; for two, I think that the mentality and the routine of looking for records and listening to them with the intent of finding something out - whatever that is, be it a break for a disco edit, a sound or a loop, a groove, or just a classic to play out - that mentality, that focus, is a little different than that of nabbing mp3s because you already know you need it, or you know to look for them. It's cutting your own trail through the wilderness versus following someone else's.

A lot of DJs and producers have fallen by the wayside, vinyl-wise, definitely. But I don't think it's a coincidence that few of them lead the pack in their lane. IMO, no offense to anyone, but to me that's a bit of a sucker move right there. The most thorough guys in the music game are still buying actual records.

Plus, you never want to be that dude who when everyone shows up to play vinyl, you don't have the joints or you are caught asking if you can bring your laptop. :nagl:

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Plus, you never want to be that dude who when everyone shows up to play vinyl, you don't have the joints or you are caught asking if you can bring your laptop. :nagl:

In fact, you want to be the dude who shows up who does have the joints, and then some.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Also

"How relevant is rare music anymore?"

shouldn't this be

"Is rare music still relevant?", or "How relevant is rare music now?"

'is' and 'anymore' together does not seem to compute. DB Cooper to breakdown the grammar syntax.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm sort of on a break from DJing at the moment - I've recently moved and am slowly planning to start a DJ-night somewhere. Right now I'm liking my hiatus, though. Before I moved I had a regular DJ gig I mainly did for the money. Even though it wasn't THAT bad, I've decided to never do that again. It kills of my love for DJing, and that's more important than money (well, as long as I have a day job, anyway).

Recently I've just been buying the records I want to listen to, and have cared very little about their play out potential, rarity, etc. However, for a few years me and some friends had a monthly night that had a really openminded audience - you could play almost anything, which meant we always tried to find new stuff to play. That's sort of what I'm missing these days - hopefully I'll get back into it. For me personally though, the vastness of online music is definitely a mixed thing. I'm glad I'm able to hear rare/impossible records, mixes, remixes and everything that's out there, but sometimes it's just too overwhelming. That's when you throw on a Thelonious Monk album and just chill the fuck out.

The other thig that mitigates the rarity factor is that more and more stuff is getting reissued, bootlegged and otherwise made available in a cheap format. When once upon a time you'd either sought out and original copy of something, or you didn't have it, nowadays even some of the rarest tracks, no mater what the genre, are avaialble on quality vinyl reissues. It makes the msic more accessible, wich is a great thing at the end of the day, but it has an oveall impact on the importance of rarity. I see this come into play when selling at record fairs too.

Kinetic said:
    The other thig that mitigates the rarity factor is that more and more stuff is getting reissued, bootlegged and otherwise made available in a cheap format. When once upon a time you'd either sought out and original copy of something, or you didn't have it, nowadays even some of the rarest tracks, no mater what the genre, are avaialble on quality vinyl reissues. It makes the msic more accessible, wich is a great thing at the end of the day, but it has an oveall impact on the importance of rarity. I see this come into play when selling at record fairs too.

That's true, and the amount of great reissues/comps coming out is also a mixed thing - I used to pick up new quality comps that interested be, but now there's an overwhelming amount! Soundway, Jazzman, Numero and many more... Definitely a factor that means less motivation to buy some OGs for me, especially when quality reissues are done right.

Kinetic said:

That's true, and the amount of great reissues/comps coming out is also a mixed thing - I used to pick up new quality comps that interested be, but now there's an overwhelming amount! Soundway, Jazzman, Numero and many more... Definitely a factor that means less motivation to buy some OGs for me, especially when quality reissues are done right. Take the Lyman Woodard album for example - great stuff, but not something I personally feel inclined to drop loot on when I have the Waxpo reissue... I'd rather buy something I haven't heard before.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    A lot of rare records are not really as good as the records they try to "emulate" and when they are available everywhere some of the appeal is lost. On the other hand, I couldn't afford a lot of the rare records when I started out and I'm very happy I got the chance to hear them without spending all the rent money.

I think sales of dj-oriented music on vinyl is gonna continue to decline but in rock and pop it will grow as more and more stop buying cds. Myself, I'm just starting listening to my vinyl collection again, especially Spotify has killed all other ways of listening to new music.

• djsheep said:
    it's cringe worthy seeing hipsters and young "trendsetters" walk into the club and mock the music right in front of the turntables. half the time i feel sorry for how stupid they look, the other half of the time, i wanna jump over the decks and backhand them in the nose...

i am so out of the loop, is this a real thing? trendsetters dancing ironically to music they don;t like? i don;t get it...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:

About damn time, too!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Cosmo said:

About damn time, too!

Haha... seriously! Welcome homie

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Jonny hit the nail on the head, but I would add one caveat. There are plenty of online stores for both new and old music in digital form, and digging through those databases/buying online is a worthy venture too. Digging for records in the real world and digging through digital music sites are of course very different disciplines in some ways, but also very similar in others, and the goal is the same- discover new music. Many of the things you use in the field to identify a good record (artist, label, year of release etc) are searchable terms at an online store. And while the notion of a "rare" mp3 might be a bit of a farce, there are certainly "overlooked" tracks that many, save for the really thorough or knowledgeable, will not find.

For what it's worth, I'm sure I get more trainspotters when I DJ from tunes that I've bought online than stuff I've bought on wax and then ripped. That's anecdotal of course, and reflects the gigs and types of music I play as much as anything, but I think it still says something about the validity of online digging from a DJs perspective.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Platurn used to post here as DJ Ice(landic) Tallboy.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    What's up Platurn, welcome!

I think record digging is still relevant for folks who are serious about music. Some do it, some don't, it's true. It's not a disqualifier, but I definitely think dudes who think they can get it all online for free at this point, are kind of missing the point. There is still plenty of stuff that is not easy to get on the internet, for one; for two, I think that the mentality and the routine of looking for records and listening to them with the intent of finding something out - whatever that is, be it a break for a disco edit, a sound or a loop, a groove, or just a classic to play out - that mentality, that focus, is a little different than that of nabbing mp3s because you already know you need it, or you know to look for them. It's cutting your own trail through the wilderness versus following someone else's.

A lot of DJs and producers have fallen by the wayside, vinyl-wise, definitely. But I don't think it's a coincidence that few of them lead the pack in their lane. IMO, no offense to anyone, but to me that's a bit of a sucker move right there. The most thorough guys in the music game are still buying actual records.

Hey Flaturn,

First of all, welcome to Soul Strut!!! You made a cool first post. To respond to your question, Jonny's post I quoted aptly states my position. I'm old-school (40 years old), so I'm from the era when you hunted down, physically, the records you wanted. I'll never give that up.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    b/w

What's up Platurn! It's about time!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    What matters to me is that you're not playing the same sounds everyone else is, and rare records are just one method of doing that. But the best DJ in the room, to me, is a DJ who knows crazy b-sides from popular artists, album cuts, all of that. Someone who has been spinning for years and years and goes through their records or microwave or whatever and pulls some shit out that was real big 10 years back and no one plays anymore, someone who can surprise you. I think that right there is the biggest challenge and it's one that comes with listening patience and experience. Anyone can buy a rare record.

I honestly think records can be a real distraction from some of that more important stuff. Not all the time, not for everyone, but there's only so many hours any on person has to look for and listen to music, and probably 99 percent of DJs would be better served just going through a whole Motown discography of common stuff searching out things they don't have. There are a lot of f**king retarded beats and mixes and remixes and edits that have been made pretty much just because something was rare.

Oh and welcome to Soulstrut Platurn!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    spelunk said:
    What matters to me is that you're not playing the same sounds everyone else is

preaching to the choir here, and i think that's one big difference between a lot of record/music lovers vs those people out there in the pews:

Becky wants to hear "what's hot" right now, i.e. what everyone else is playing.

Jonny's point about the way in which we search through vinyl and how it forces/encourages you to discover things on your own that you weren't already up on is pretty much the anti-thesis of that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts