so, let me make sure i'm clear on this...

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
...as of this weekend all of the classic SOULSTRUT threads from the days of yore will vanish into the ether? no bookmarks, no waybackmachinery, no nothing? just GONE???those threads are a very, very vital part of all of our lives and a CRITICAL piece of internets history. i hope i'm mistaken about this... if not then Raj Mahal should be quartered, drawn and keelhauled in effigy

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    to quote steve powers, "gotta break a few eggs to make that omlette"

• to quote steve powers, "gotta break a few eggs to make that omlette"

Pussy!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    to quote steve powers, "gotta break a few eggs to make that omlette"

Pussy!
    hi nate

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this schitt ain't real right? right?

• JehovWetJehovWet 40 Posts
    ...as of this weekend all of the classic SOULSTRUT threads from the days of yore will vanish into the ether? no bookmarks, no waybackmachinery, no nothing? just GONE???

I've been helping RAJ with this part of the new Strut, so I'll answer: NOPE. All the threads from the current Strut database (dating back to early January 2005) are going to be converted and moved to the new Strut along with all the user accounts. The posts will still maintain all their author/poster/timestamp information, too, except for snafu posts that have a deleted member. It should include everything up until the current forums get closed for conversion, so everyone can pick up where they left off when the system comes back up on the other side.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ...as of this weekend all of the classic SOULSTRUT threads from the days of yore will vanish into the ether? no bookmarks, no waybackmachinery, no nothing? just GONE???

I've been helping RAJ with this part of the new Strut, so I'll answer: NOPE. All the threads from the current Strut database (dating back to early January 2005) are going to be converted and moved to the new Strut along with all the user accounts. The posts will still maintain all their author/poster/timestamp information, too, except for snafu posts that have a deleted member. It should include everything up until the current forums get closed for conversion, so everyone can pick up where they left off when the system comes back up on the other side.

Thanks, JehovWet!!! That's a relief as a lot of valuable information and incredible dialogues have occurred over the years. Thanks for all of your website conversion efforts as well.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If I understand Raj's post, it's just the stuff in the "favourite posts" subsection of the My Home section that won't transfer over - is that right? The new database should be searchable as per the pre-crash version of the current site?

• JehovWetJehovWet 40 Posts
    If I understand Raj's post, it's just the stuff in the "favourite posts" subsection of the My Home section that won't transfer over - is that right? The new database should be searchable as per the pre-crash version of the current site?

That's correct. It's the user-specific information that won't make it over like PMs, avatars, favorites, and custom locations so save copies of anything you'll miss. The converted old threads should be browseable and searchable in the new Strut.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    well that is GREAT news, JehovWet! my greatest fears have been dashed and i can now move on with my life. my apologies, Raj Mahal... your effigy can now come out from it's secret hiding place

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    maybe the search function will be even BETTER, which isn't hard to imagine

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    we're going to lose our pms? Is there anyway to save them somehow? Do i just copy and paste them all?