Weeekend Finds

danmccauleydanmccauley 25 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Masaaki Hirao (King,Japan)

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    $11 chicago finds this past weekend, at my favorite chi-town book/record store:

IMG src=http://lh5.ggpht.com/MyJazzWorld/SGfutkdHb8I/AAAAAAAACZM/7-_t6u3z_nU/s288/LionelHampton_ThereItIs.jpg>

lionel hampton - there it is! (sealed)

IMG src=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OAMgTxjCx20/SgeS0BMPutI/AAAAAAAAANM/6aPiPf_aJgs/s320/compost.jpg>

compost - life is round (finally)

IMG src=http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/c9d2929ea9c59ec7e65e86493e0ce35d/256105.jpg>

sweet salvation - s/t

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    mostly from my local sources, with a couple strut trades mixed in...

^^hilarious xrated barbara mckay

^^1st time ive ever seen the smokey, straight up white whale mystery.

^^masqueraders is a nice issac hayes production

...my last batch seemed to vanish without a trace right after i posted them.. so in the interest of good record pr0n, here they are again... 2 weeks ago finds, many from the ithaca NY "friends of the library" sale..

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    fishmongerfunk: How is that Clifford Jordan LP?

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    Sick finds karlophone. Is the Chicago Gangsters a trade or find?

Sick finds karlophone. Is the Chicago Gangsters a trade or find?

never ever saw this 45 (especially the pic sleeve) before, i must keep! sorry.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Karlophone: LOL at the Comic Bill MurrY[/b] on Mo Do! Is that the same Buffalo label, that put out those Bob & Gene records?

Karlophone: LOL at the Comic Bill MurrY[/b] on Mo Do! Is that the same Buffalo label, that put out those Bob & Gene records?

indeed it is! half ealy 70s somewhat 'rude' nightclub comedy, half hammond instrumentals. weird. i was going to do some research into the modo label to see if there are any other actual LPs on the label, which so far as i knew was all 45s. Im from the area and modo stuff is scarce even around here. the Bob+Gene reissue that i think the Daptone guys did is so sweet, but that was an LP they compiled. theres probably a nice modo discography online now that they did all the research.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts

Very glad to pick these up for low prices, all in great condition.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Tanjah is a fantastic record, very unique in Weston's catalog.

indeed it is! half ealy 70s somewhat 'rude' nightclub comedy, half hammond instrumentals. weird. i was going to do some research into the modo label to see if there are any other actual LPs on the label, which so far as i knew was all 45s. Im from the area and modo stuff is scarce even around here. the Bob+Gene reissue that i think the Daptone guys did is so sweet, but that was an LP they compiled. theres probably a nice modo discography online now that they did all the research.

I'm guessing the Brits predated Daptone with this knowledge.

From Soulful Kind Of Music:

101 - Bob & Gene - Your Name / You Gave Me Love
    102 - 4 Andantes - Hipper Than Me / The End Of Love
    103 - Gerald Trotter - One More Hurt (Won't Hurt Much More) / The Love In My Heart
    104 - Bob & Gene - I Really, Really Love You / Which Love
    105 - Carlena Weaver / Majestic Sounds Ltd. - Smile A Rainbow/Happy Mood
    106 - Mary Lewis/Sharon Lidge - What A Friend / God Can
    615 - Rev. C.T. Nelson - Great Consolation / A Prayer
    108 - Bob & Gene - Sailboat / I Can Be Cool
    109 - The Singing Sons - The Day The Lord Had Made / Keep Our Hand
    110 - Alfred O - Do What You Want To Do / A Vacation From Love
    111 - Bob & Gene - It Won't Go / If This World Were Mine
    111 - Rev. Guy J. Graves - Amazing Grace / Why Am I Treated So Bad
    112 - Bible Tones Of Buffalo - I've Got Religion / Jesus Cares
    113 - ?
    114 - Bob & Gene - Don't Leave Me Girl / Gotta Find A Way
    115 - The Five Great Wonders - I've Got To Make The Journey / Wipe Away Our Tears
    116 - King's Of Harmony - Resting Easy / Leak in The Building
    117 - Open Door Church Of God In Christ - Jesus / Better Way
    118 - The Morning Stars - Wait On Jesus / Step On Board
    119 - James T. Horn - Glory Bound Train / Your Life Depend
    120 - The Northington Singers w / lead. Martha Craft - Unbelieving Souls / Calling Me
    121 - Sharon Graves/Rev.Guy Graves - Away From Home / Think About It
    122 - ?
    123 - The Patterson Specials - I'll Overcome / Show Me the Way
    124 - The A.C.G.C. - No Mountain High Enough / Put A Little Love In Your Heart
    125 - Bob & Gene - If This World Were Mine / It Won't Go
    126 - Nancy Lee & Al Johnson & the Soul-Jers - X-Mas Dream / X-Mas Commercial Blues
    127 - Nancy Lee - No Words For Love / In My Dreams
    128 - Bob & Gene - Don't Leave Me / Gotta Find A Way
    0625 - Bob & Gene - Don't Leave Me / Gotta Find A Way
    11138 - Bob & Gene - Sailboat / I Really Really Love You
    22627/8 - Gerald Trotter - One More Hurt (Won't Hurt Much More) / The Love In My Heart - ?

It is beautiful indeed. I picked it up because I was looking for 'In Memory Of', a great track that I had on a compilation. I was looking for his Highlife lp, because I know the track is on that album:

But it's on Tanjah too, apparently. I'm still after Highlife though, as that album features a great song called 'Niger Mambo'

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    fishmongerfunk: How is that Clifford Jordan LP?

really great actually. it has a version of "john coltrane" that is just sick. much better than his other muse titles and perhaps one of the top 5 or 10 releases on muse of all time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    all of these are up for grabs if you wanna holleur, but I will have to give the sitar track on the Levin another chance before I commit to getting rid of it...

all of these are up for grabs if you wanna holleur, but I will have to give the sitar track on the Levin another chance before I commit to getting rid of it...

What is Poum??

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Poum! is some private pressed free/spiritual jazz with a ragtime/classic jazz fetish...cool, but clarinet in a free setting kinda drives me batty...bass clarinet is cool but a standard clarinet skronking about is a little much for me...

Poum! is some private pressed free/spiritual jazz with a ragtime/classic jazz fetish...cool, but clarinet in a free setting kinda drives me batty...bass clarinet is cool but a standard clarinet skronking about is a little much for me...

Thanks.....doesn't sound like it's for my ears.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

It is beautiful indeed. I picked it up because I was looking for 'In Memory Of', a great track that I had on a compilation. I was looking for his Highlife lp, because I know the track is on that album:

But it's on Tanjah too, apparently. I'm still after Highlife though, as that album features a great song called 'Niger Mambo'

Nice finds. Companionship is a stunning record.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Totally different versions, Weston only played electric piano very infrequently, but recorded his own compositions over and over throughout the years, always re-arranging and re-casting them. One of the greats, IMO.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    another first timer on soulstrut, guessing first timer on the internet maybe, a private thingy i turned up recently..

had a lot of homemade stuff inside, heres some of it:

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    found a p j murphy quintet inside a dillards 'wheatstraw suite' sleeve. so happy. facemelting frat rock.

Totally different versions, Weston only played electric piano very infrequently, but recorded his own compositions over and over throughout the years, always re-arranging and re-casting them. One of the greats, IMO.

Wow, I'd really want to hear that other version now. Do you know where I can hear it online?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

I was under the impression that that Poum was worth a preeeetty penny. I might be mistaken, though. Just a heads up in case.

103 - Gerald Trotter - One More Hurt (Won't Hurt Much More) / The Love In My Heart
    113 - ?
    115 - The Five Great Wonders - I've Got To Make The Journey / Wipe Away Our Tears
    120 - The Northington Singers w / lead. Martha Craft - Unbelieving Souls / Calling Me
    122 - ?
    126 - Nancy Lee & Al Johnson & the Soul-Jers - X-Mas Dream / X-Mas Commercial Blues
    22627/8 - Gerald Trotter - One More Hurt (Won't Hurt Much More) / The Love In My Heart - ?

in case anyone is interested..

the LP's cat # is A101, with index #'s 26629 and 26630. like many modo pieces, it was mfg at Rite Record Productions in Cincinnati.

ill go out on a limb and say this would be modos 1st LP ("A"lbum 101), and later ones would be A102, etc. but are there any later ones...???

113 - ?
    122 - ?

in case anyone is interested..

the LP's cat # is A101, with index #'s 26629 and 26630. like many modo pieces, it was mfg at Rite Record Productions in Cincinnati.

ill go out on a limb and say this would be modos 1st LP ("A"lbum 101), and later ones would be A102, etc. but are there any later ones...???

I guess the unreleased Bob & Gene stuff was supposed be originally on an LP, which was left unreleased.

By the way, can anybody confirm the existence of this:

11138 - Bob & Gene - Sailboat / I Really Really Love You[/b]

I have, 104 - Bob & Gene - I Really, Really Love You / Which Love , but the sound quality is god awful. It would be nice to know if IRRLY was any better on the other pressing. "Sailboat" is also one of their best tunes so wouldn't mind getting a copy.

• subsub 311 Posts
    another first timer on soulstrut, guessing first timer on the internet maybe, a private thingy i turned up recently..

had a lot of homemade stuff inside, heres some of it:

sound clip?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

sound clip?

yeah i'll see what i can do, a couple of short clips maybe, its from the early 80s, various bands, and a mix of genres, theres some boogie, rap, some new wave, some punk, tracks are pretty cool actually, but mostly with danish vocals..