Mike Morton Congregation's "Move on Up"

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I'm guessing you could probably repave every street in the UK with these "Non Stop Top 20 Dance Party" terds, but I really like their version of Move on Up. Unfortunately when they appear to be going into the breakdown, the "Fake crowd" claps. On the back, the personnel are listed. And Mike Giles is cited for drums. Does anyone know if that is the same guy from King Crimson/McDonald Giles?I don't have a picture, but here one from a recent ebay auction that has the cover.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIKE-MORTON-CONGRE...6#ht_619wt_1165

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    agreed, its brilliant. shame its totally short and has loads of applause at the beginning and a shit fade out at the end.

pagin skel/senior for "teh konwlgede"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    agreed, its brilliant. shame its totally short and has loads of applause at the beginning and a shit fade out at the end.

It's the best cover I've heard to that song, even though I can't think of any other than that Destination 12" on Butterfly.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Jam did a decent cover, it's the live version of it that shines.

edit - live footage

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    There was a recent 45 on Genuine with a cxover and the NZ group Quincy Conserve do an ok cover as well, but it's a little rocky.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    nice version

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

It's the best cover I've heard to that song, even though I can't think of any other than that Destination 12" on Butterfly.

Swedish release by Micke Hagstr?m. I think this is one of the more obscure versions.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Don't think I've heard that particular Mike Morton before but tbh they all kind of blend into much of a muchness at a point and to my shame I blank them these days.
    There was a bit of discussion about this on VG+ a few years ago:

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php?t=765

But I would be greatly surprised if Mr skel couldn't give you a full rundown on these poptacular hits.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I bought a Top of the Pops album with a version of Move on Up on it, hoping for either comic value or a decent cover in it's own right - but it replicates the original so exactly that if you'd play it out, I doubt people would spot the difference!

Sort of off topic, but I once started talking to a girl on a train and I had a record bag with me so we talked a bit about DJ:ing. She asked me what style of music I played and I gave Curtis as a reference. Not even when I sang "Move on up" to her did she recognise the song at all. Sometimes you get a reality check when you think songs are "obvious" to people...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Sorry, nothing to add that's not on the VG+ thread

What I will do over the next couple of days is load Soundcloud up with a few tracks of similar ilk from some e.p.s by Alan Caddy. Talmbout that bubbling bass thing that can only be found on early 70s UK library schtick, and drumming of unparalleled technical efficiency and flair (but with a negative quotient of swing) all applied to the righteous pop rock hits of the day.
    You will dig it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    pretty good thread on vgplus. trying to remember if mike morton also did the mickey mouse march 7" with the braek, that would be the other (vaguely) good one worth mentioning.

i have the burning bridges record, contains approximately 5.6 seconds of funky music.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

That destination version has been working well for me when I have played it out

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    OK, more on the 'facsimile' sound. These from The Discos, no doubt a bunch of studio musos from the classical world, engaged to copy the SNF OST for the budget label Stereo Gold Award.
    I actually prefer these versions, probably for all the same reasons that you won't.
    The hall reverb on K Jee is pretty special. Teddington Lock soundstage, recorded live, probably in one take. Dudes nailed it. The timing is totally on the button. Up there with the Morton Move On Up? Maybe...

The Discos - K Jee by skel

The Discos - Night Fever by skel

Then there's these two tracks culled from budget facsimile records from the early 70s. The pop hits of the day, with extra burbling KPM bass moves.

Alan Caddy - Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys by skel

Alan Caddy - Gypsies Tramps and Thieves by skel

You must deal.

• There was a recent 45 on Genuine with a cxover and the NZ group Quincy Conserve do an ok cover as well, but it's a little rocky.

I've always thought the QC cover is terrible - I remember when I first saw it on the back of that tasteful LP i had really high hopes....and then I heard it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's the best cover I've heard to that song

IMO the best "Move On Up" version is by Greyhound:

Wasn't familiar with the Destination version. Not bad in a disco style. For some reason I've always passed on that LP. Never even bothered looking at the tracklist. Will pick it up next time.