MST3K

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Who rides? Favorite episodes? Favorite jokes? I just watched this compendium of Rowsdower jokes from "The Final Sacrifice" episode, which is easily one of my favorites, and cracked up.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ONE OF THE BEST OF ALL TIME.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Who rides? Favorite episodes? Favorite jokes? I just watched this compendium of Rowsdower jokes from "The Final Sacrifice" episode, which is easily one of my favorites, and cracked up.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    joel > mike

joel doing his shtick on old snl bumps

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Space Mutiny! The constant nicknames they give the muscle head is one of the funniest things the show has ever done.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    [colleges/local theater groups starting to do thier own live versions of this again which i cant imagnie being a pleasurable experience.

Yeah, that's just a recipe for horrible lameness.

I also want to give a nod to when they would rip on those short educational films from the '50s.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    *paging dukeofdelridge*

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Big time fan here. One of the shows I grew up watching with my dad. Some of the funniest one-liners I've ever heard were delivered on that show.

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    One of my favorite shorts.

Nerd alert - I own every episode.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    joel > mike

I get homesick whenever I see Joel episodes! It started on a little UHF channel in Mpls/St.Paul (Channel 26 I believe) back in the late 80s. I love the whole horror host feel of the early episodes, and they were a lot of fun. This was back in the day when you would see a lot of those films being shown on Channel 26 during regular hours, but as straight programming! The good old days!

One of my faves:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    One of my favorite shorts.

Nerd alert - I own every episode.

I need own "The Final Sacrifice" episode for make funny viewing. Sadly, it never got issued on DVD, so my efforts to own it have failed thus far...do you have it somewhere?

Also: The "Gamera" episode.

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    I filled out my missing episodes by ordering from this guy -

http://www.cupandblade.com/store/catalog/index.php

They are pretty cheap. If you want one or two though I can rip a dvd.

There were several Gamera episodes, by the way.

As for Mike v. Joel, yes, Joel is better, but I think there are lots of good eps with Mike. The last two years lost a bit of steam though.

Devil Doll is a Mike ep that slays me every time. So sublimely creepy and weird.

• watched tons of it in high school. would watch it with friends and we would have a running commentary on the commentary.

helped me step my bad movie watching game up. i would try to track down copies of the movies so i could enjoy them sans commentary.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I ride. This show was one of the factors that got me into weird, rare movies. Unfortunately, I am too young to have experienced the Elvira, Svengoolie, UHF station creature feature, etc. antics of yore or even to have gotten into the show circa Joel. So, I have boots of almost all the eps I have gotten on the grey market. I guess I didn't have the foresight to tape them; keeping in mind the sporadic broadcasting of various episodes due to movie rights. The weird Italian post-apocalypse, American movie rip-off, sword-and-sandal and spy movies are my favorite episodes. Especially this one...

These are the ones that MST fans sleep on. The biggie episodes with Space Mutiny, Final Sacrifice and Manos are all well and good (and rather impressive that such bizarre movies stood the test of time simply because of their association with MST) but aren't all that funny beyond the first or second viewing, to be honest.

I also think it's funny how some popular actors and actresses in the movies put through the ringer have given their thumbs-up approval of the show and some have expressed complete disgust with it.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    This is the song, written for the train chase
    This is the fight: Rocky and Ken
    He tried to kill him with a fork-lift.....

• Big time fan here. One of the shows I grew up watching with my dad.

Here's my top 10:

widely recognized:
    Soultaker
    Werewolf
    Future War
    Space Mutiny
    Final Sacrifice
    Final Justice
    Laserblast

slept on:
    Pod People
    The Screaming Skull
    Hamlet
    Danger Diabolik (pretty watchable, Dino Delaurentis did this)

One of the most memorable riffs in my mind comes from Pod People. Tom Servo riffs on the new age soundtrack by pretending to be a new age DJ. Then the crew does a skit where they illustrate how to get a record deal with Windham Hill. Last night I was listening to a new age tape and thought how funny and on point that riff was.

Thanks for reminding me about Devil Fish! I'll watch that now. Keep posting slept on favorites!

• Also, you can tell that the MST3k writers are into records. Once I got into records myself, I got so many more of the references.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh, Mitchell ...

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    My, My, My, My Mitchell..

b/w

...Damn, he's got a 10 speed!!!

I ride!!!!!

Been a loyal viewer since 1990. Shit is mad funny and I was happy to see a show that talks as much shit as I do, if it's a horrible, but great film!

Best Brains Inc. is a great production team and the Riff Trax, Film Crew, and Cinematic Titanic stuff is pretty hilarious too. Got to see the Riff Trax a couple years ago live here in the bay and They did "Over The Top". Mad funny!!!!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'm trying to remember the name of that cheap Conan style movie they watched where the guy fashions himself a deerskin hang glider and starts dropping bombs on his enemy's castle at the end. I just remember them saying "OK ... so he kills a deer, dries out the skin, conquers the theory of flight ... "

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction. That one deserves a re-watch.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i was hoping someone would mention mitchell.
    comedy central was the lick back then.
    ive only seen a few dvds of the shows for sale, but never a complete season. i wouldnt mind having that in my life.

edit: i just saw the link posted for cupandblade. thats impressive

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm trying to remember the name of that cheap Conan style movie they watched where the guy fashions himself a deerskin hang glider and starts dropping bombs on his enemy's castle at the end. I just remember them saying "OK ... so he kills a deer, dries out the skin, conquers the theory of flight ... "

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction. That one deserves a re-watch.

Cave Dwellers (aka the second Ator movie with Miles O'Keefe). Third season. This was on one of those Rhino sets

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Cave Dwellers (aka the second Ator movie with Miles O'Keefe). Third season. This was on one of those Rhino sets

Many thanks! My lady and I have a sweet spot for horrible Conan-esque movies anyway, so this'll be a perfect episode to revisit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i was hoping someone would mention mitchell.

MITCHELL!!
    [/b]