Teh new LCD Soundsystem

2»

Comments

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    i've been playing the mp3s for the past month and it's been blowing my mind, i think its album of the year. LCD Soundsystem started out as a singles act and i think this is the most cohesive album they have put out yet...i'm gonna head up to the record shop and buy the double vinyl right about now.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    he was quoted by SFJ in a recent NYer as saying "the more you are like me, the less use you have for my band"

if that isn't the essence of the hipster aesthetic I dunno what is

Yeah, that was kind of a weird article.

best thing i got out of that article was these shoes:

FEIYUE, from china. had never heard of them, and was curious when they were mentioned in the article. really like them, and got them cheap off of ebay. super reliable seller--they got here in like a week

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_5521wt_1001

oh, and the album's alright and all, but meh.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    he was quoted by SFJ in a recent NYer as saying "the more you are like me, the less use you have for my band"

if that isn't the essence of the hipster aesthetic I dunno what is

Yeah, that was kind of a weird article.

best thing i got out of that article was these shoes:

FEIYUE, from china. had never heard of them, and was curious when they were mentioned in the article. really like them, and got them cheap off of ebay. super reliable seller--they got here in like a week

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_5521wt_1001

oh, and the album's alright and all, but meh.

Cue next year's smash: "(Not) Losing My Edge."

Feiyue, a reliable sneaker, good grip on the wet pavement. Bought on eBay, very reliable seller. I was there!

On a similar tip, I stopped trying to sort out a pair of Spring Court sneakers stateside. Yes, yes, glorified Cons but look at the ventilation.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i liked the last album. this one not so much. i am surprised at the pitchfork rating. normally when they give a record above a 9, i tend to agree that its a great record (otherwise its a crapshoot). but i dont think thats true in this case.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

I've never heard this dude's music, but that piece made it sound deeply unappealing.

Really you've never heard Lcd sound system ?

• has a record collector actually ever made good music?

serious question

only john fahey. sun city girls debatably

I put this quote in this thread because, god knows, we don't need another one discussing "hipsters." We beat that horse to death, burned its body and scattered the ashes in gentrifying neighborhoods across the land. However, here is 54-year-old Ms. Sharon Jones reluctantly pinpointing these folks to a "T" in this article in the Chicago Reader:

"Oh, you know, I guess like in The Jeffersons, when the white guy came downstairs in bell-bottoms or something and somebody said he was a hipster," Jones says, laughing. "You know, like a nerd trying to be cool."

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    he PLAYYYED himself in that tune when he mentions "Eric B and RAKEEEM" - Talk about cringe worthy...

absolutely. When I heard that song, it was perfect--
    headphones on the bus, latenight, coming back from my job I was too old for, some guy tearing apart all sorts of posers and claimers...it was great. It just kept going, too; i remember it being long (?). Loving it the whole way (even if I had to pretend to know every last thing he referenced---which is what you're talking about). Perfect, though, until he said "raKEEEEM," and I froze: dude sounded American--was he playing with me? Was he next-level meta-chopping this shit? It was hard to overlook, so I remember ascribing some "that's what he's saying man"-type meaning to it. But I've never been sure.
    O, ye wily hipster...

great song though. I've not heard the newer stuff. I ONLY LIKED THEIR EARLY STUFF MAN!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I put this quote in this thread because, god knows, we don't need another one discussing "hipsters." We beat that horse to death, burned its body and scattered the ashes in gentrifying neighborhoods across the land. However, here is 54-year-old Ms. Sharon Jones reluctantly pinpointing these folks to a "T" in this article in the Chicago Reader:

"Oh, you know, I guess like in The Jeffersons, when the white guy came downstairs in bell-bottoms or something and somebody said he was a hipster," Jones says, laughing. "You know, like a nerd trying to be cool."

it's fascinating though. All these weird adults who WERE there (or at least were alive) and should know better than to try and copy these cool kids who WEREN'T there in trying to be cool by dressing like Mars Blackmon--who I remember being marketed as kind of a nerd. It blows my mind!

• I saw LCD Soundsystem maybe eight years ago a the Bowery. first LCD show ever or first show in the US or something, opening up for The Rapture. Liked his singles then, great live band, but I don't really keep up on new music. Checked that Nike thing they did, sounded great, haven't listened to the stray album or two they've done since.

So I hear they're hanging it up and doing a final show at MSG come April. I see today they sold out 25,000 tickets in under ten minutes. Does that sound right? How can they have that many fans?

color me

Funny this thread got dug up. Happy to eat my words on this one -- bought the record and completely loved it, one of my favorites of last year. And this year's Hercules album is kinda bangin' too.

• "All My Friends," came up on a long drive recently on shuffle, and blew my fucking head off. Since then, it's been a LOT of LCD in rotation.

Some of the straight up dance stuff doesn't always do it for me, but goddamn... this band/dude was FIRE when they were on.

b/w

Music in a car is just killer... I miss driving music living in NYC.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you wanted a hit off this is a jam