So so tired

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

KING DRIIS - HOLD ON from Pricefilms on Vimeo.

Idris Elba produced by 9th Wonder.

He kills it especially @ 2:25

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

You need to check Tinchy Stryder.

Sounds British

Thank you, no

^^Knows who Tinchy Stryder is.

Checking for the man like Stryder is best avoided though.

As Senior says, N-Dubz are the truth.

not a big tinchy fan, though i can't imagine how someone could dislike him and then really rate gucci mane by the same turn.

best just stick to the roll deep reissue compilation

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I really don't get the Gucci Mane hate. What's not to like?

Tinchy Styder on the otherhand is total

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

You need to check Tinchy Stryder.

Sounds British

Thank you, no

^^Knows who Tinchy Stryder is.

Checking for the man like Stryder is best avoided though.

As Senior says, N-Dubz are the truth.

not a big tinchy fan, though i can't imagine how someone could dislike him and then really rate gucci mane by the same turn.

Well I guess this is what it boils down to with the the two schools of thought and HC's original post though isn't it:

Appreciates what Gucci brings to the table and the various directions rap is going = Rap isn't dead
    Sees no difference between Gucci Mane & Tinchy Stryder = Rap is dead

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Well I guess this is what it boils down to with the the two schools of thought and HC's original post though isn't it:

Appreciates what Gucci brings to the table and the various directions rap is going = Rap isn't dead
    Sees no difference between Gucci Mane & Tinchy Stryder = Rap is dead

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just to clarify, British isn't one of the new directions in rap that I condone.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Gucci Mane hate

In what way does Slick Rick constitute a new direction in rap?

In what way does Slick Rick constitute a new direction in rap?

Ricky D ain't British unless we say he's British.

haha i'm just folkin with you.

Rockwell's British, right?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Just listened to Gucci Mane's avante garde masterpiece "Lemonade" on youtube. If ever an example was needed that rap hasn't dumbed down, that it doesn't follow a cookie-cutter fomulae based around crass materialism & pouting bimbos, that thought provoking lyrisism isn't dead, and that hip-hop hasn't been reduced to a bland, regressive pop variant, then this sure as fuck isn't it. The guy's delivery, the music, it's all about as interesting as somebody else's tax return. If there were ever bubbles in his lemonade, Gucci's charisma-bypass has left it flat. Not even interesting enough to feel sour about, this lemonade doesn't suck, it blows.

Have a nice weekend!

rowwwwrrrrrrrrr....Just listened to Gucci Mane's avante garde masterpiece "Lemonade" on youtube. If ever an example was needed that rap hasn't dumbed down, that it doesn't follow a cookie-cutter fomulae based around crass materialism & pouting bimbos, that thought provoking lyrisism isn't dead, and that hip-hop hasn't been reduced to a bland, regressive pop variant, then this sure as fuck isn't it. The guy's delivery, the music, it's all about as interesting as somebody else's tax return. If there were ever bubbles in his lemonade, Gucci's charisma-bypass has left it flat. Not even interesting enough to feel sour about, this lemonade doesn't suck, it blows. Meeeowwwwww

I personally don't listen to Gucci Mane...(actually I do have a copy of the So Icy single from a few years back). Why some of y'all have so much riding on him is bizarre to say the least.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "RAP THREADS ON SOULSTRUT"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Here's the way I've always understood it; when people listen to music, it's a personal, individual experience, right? Everyone reacts to music in different ways - can we agree on that much? OK, well, why is it so important to some people that everyone else should have the same experience as them? Why do some people get so upset at the thought that other people's relationship to music may differ from theirs, to the extent that they'll assert that these relationships are invalid, or even flat-out wrong?

Feel free to discuss, or alternately, K.I.M.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That makes way too much sense, Paul. Remove it immediately from this RAP THREAD ON SOULSTRUT.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's the way I've always understood it; when people listen to music, it's a personal, individual experience, right? Everyone reacts to music in different ways - can we agree on that much? OK, well, why is it so important to some people that everyone else should have the same experience as them? Why do some people get so upset at the thought that other people's relationship to music may differ from theirs, to the extent that they'll assert that these relationships are invalid, or even flat-out wrong?

Because many people use music as a measuring stick for how hip/cool/down they are.

Over the years I've seen this in the realm of Industrial/Experimental/Free Jazz.

"I'm so hip I listen to the unlistenable"

TOP THAT MOFO!!!!

A thousand times Yes.
    I gave up reasoning with it, it's ridiculous at this point. I prefer to act through John Cage's cat now, but YES.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Because music isn't just a personal experience, especially when dealing with Arfican-originated forms of music. I grew up with that collective concept in NOLA with the Mardi Gras brass bands and such. I live through the same sort of thing here in Texas now with the Screwed Up rap scene and such.

So when you have someone detached from those communities declaring an individual conclusion that pertains to that community...and it's squarely an incorrect conclusion...the need to tell that individual to shut up presents itself.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I live through the same sort of thing here in Texas now with the Screwed Up rap scene and such.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm soooooooooo tired.

Because music isn't just a personal experience, especially when dealing with Arfican-originated forms of music. I grew up with that collective concept in NOLA with the Mardi Gras brass bands and such. I live through the same sort of thing here in Texas now with the Screwed Up rap scene and such.

So when you have someone detached from those communities declaring an individual conclusion that pertains to that community...and it's squarely an incorrect conclusion...the need to tell that individual to shut up presents itself.

It's not special to African culture. The collective concept/appeal of music is universal.

But I do agree with your second point, which is the most frustrating part of the shit-talkers, more than the condescension. That because it does nothing for them, it has no value. It is so fcking pompous to dismiss what it means to and provides for so many others.
    And before folks get their Boscoe onesies in a knot, a good ribbing is a good ribbing. That is not what I am not talking about.

I live through the same sort of thing here in Texas now with the Screwed Up rap scene and such.

How is that funny?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm soooooooooo tired.

"Let's get some fu[/b]ckin' Fronch toast."

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Because many people use music as a measuring stick for how hip/cool/down they are.

Over the years I've seen this in the realm of Industrial/Experimental/Free Jazz.

TOP THAT MOFO!!!!

you do realize that your feelings towards people into the styles of music you listed above are pretty much what docmccoy is talking about, right?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

whoever cast this video did a good job with the ladies. that is all.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts

Quote of the week !!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

TOP THAT MOFO!!!!

you do realize that your feelings towards people into the styles of music you listed above are pretty much what docmccoy is talking about, right?

I think you misunderstood my post.

Doc asked us to discuss why some people belittle or scoff at what others listen to.

I'm suggesting it's a game of oneupmanship.

At the bottom we have folks who listen to commercial pop music.....then we have folks who scoff at them because THEY listen to "deeper" less commercial music.....and the next guy listens to undergound music and scoffs at dude #2...

This continues to the point when people "listen to the unlistenable" to show just how "deep" or musically hip they are....and it's tough to top the unlistenable.