So so tired

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I am so so tired of hearing unimaginative, disconnected, apparently friendless, oldtimers announcing how HIP-HOP IS DEAD. Obviosuly, they've grown lazy on top of close-minded and would prefer to just rest on the laurels of what they already know. I mean, why not just continue to regurgitate the same 15 years of boxed hip-hop as if nothing outside of it could ever touch it...when it's such an easy way out?There is still so much good rap music being made. It's just more likely to be...and here's a word that used to be considered golden yet has since eveidently turned to shit...UNDERGROUND. I personally encounter talented and enthusiastic and hard-working hip-hop artists in abundance on the daily. From rappers to deejays to dancers to graphic artists...I know this take of mine will be viewed as somehow negative...but how negative does one have to be in order to put blinders on big enough to no longer see the forest for the trees?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

You need to check Tinchy Stryder.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sounds British

Thank you, no

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Sounds British

Thank you, no

While not a fan of most British rap. It's not all terrible.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Please 2 D.E.L.E.T.E. before the British dudes start postin dude who's 'Hustle They Respect' or the rest of the EURO_MENS talk about Illmatic for the 1000th time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Okay, so hip-hop discussion amongst old white dudes who were only ever casual fans of hip-hop to begin with is definitely dead.

But I swear, hip-hop itself is still alive and well.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Please 2 D.E.L.E.T.E. before the British dudes start postin dude who's 'Hustle They Respect' or the rest of the EURO_MENS talk about Illmatic for the 1000th time.

DANCING TO ILLMATIC, DOING THE RESPECT HUSTLE.[/b]

I never heard Hip Hop Is Dead before the South "took over".

Yep. And not to bring up that ghostbumped thread...but you never heard real rap and pop were the same until then either. There were distinctions back then that have since been obscured by those who seemingly just want to lump everything that isn't leading-up-to-and-including-Biggie as disposable.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Don't you make this exact post biannually?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Don't you make this exact post bi-weekly?

Guilty as charged.

You mean, in between when people were saying the west "took over" or after???

I used to love her -> she's dead.

Okay, so hip-hop discussion amongst old white dudes who were only ever casual fans of hip-hop to begin with is definitely dead.

But I swear, hip-hop itself is still alive and well.

So says the old white dude...

You mean, in between when people were saying the west "took over" or after???

Not in The Bronx.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

hahaha

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i feel bad for all the dudes still walking in here thinking its their meal ticket out the ghetto. maybe its not dead, but i dont think it hurts to tell these dudes to move along. i mean, if its cuz they love it and all then yeah, go for it. but its left a lot of folks stranded and i dont want to perpetuate false hopes for them. i'll say this though, the amount of fools coming in here talking about their demo and mixtape, that shit has dropped off dramatically. so maybe they already know.

i feel bad for all the dudes still walking in here thinking its their meal ticket out the ghetto. maybe its not dead, but i dont think it hurts to tell these dudes to move along. i mean, if its cuz they love it and all then yeah, go for it. but its left a lot of folks stranded and i dont want to perpetuate false hopes for them. i'll say this though, the amount of fools coming in here talking about their demo and mixtape, that shit has dropped off dramatically. so maybe they already know.

The idea that they're going to get signed by some big company and receive a fat check up front to buy their mama a house with is indeed gone. But dudes making mixtapes and doing shows, what's now called grinding, is in my estimation as rampant as ever.

yeah, but im talking about poor folk that dont have dildos and microwaves to cook hot pockets in. u white boys can make them mixtapes all the live long day.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Psychedelic music died the day Izod wearing accountants and pseudo intellectual Yuppies "discovered" it.

I'll assume Hip-Hop suffered a similar fate.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Question to Harvey - Do you think the "hip-hop" of today is better than the hip-hop of say the 90's?

yeah, but im talking about poor folk that dont have dildos and microwaves to cook hot pockets in. u white boys can make them mixtapes all the live long day.

Noone's posts have ever stumped me like yours.

Question to Harvey - Do you think the "hip-hop" of today is better than the hip-hop of say the 90's?

They're both good. In some cases, yes...the stuff today is better. In other cases, no chance. It's all situational.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

are dildos objects specific to the rich? mostly-serious question.

did you score yours at the goodwill?

what i mean is that most folks around here are usually huddling around 1 dudes rig that has been patchworked together with hand me downs and outdated gear. and in this economy i think a lot of that gear has been pawned or otherwise sold off.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That's an amazing picture.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Psychedelic music died the day Izod wearing accountants and pseudo intellectual Yuppies "discovered" it.

I'll assume Hip-Hop suffered a similar fate.

I would love to find an office of accountants wearing Izods.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

LOL. The first time I heard Tinchy was the first time when I really did consider whether hip hop was dead. Then I heard Ndubz and I knew it would be going strong for many years yet.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Sounds British

Thank you, no

^^Knows who Tinchy Stryder is.

Checking for the man like Stryder is best avoided though.

As Senior says, N-Dubz are the truth.