All The People 'Cramp Your Style' OG or Boot?

3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Hopefully some strutters can shed some light on this as I'm sure there's more then a few people with definite original pressings in their collections... I just picked up a copy of All The People's 'Cramp Your Style' which the seller claims is an original pressing but, having just received it, I'm having some doubts to its provenance... I know there was a reissue that Dusty Groove amongst others was carrying not too long back although I don't think this is the same based on the label scan I've seen... However, the copy I just picked up has one of those euro-style raised rings with indentations (at least I've only seen this style on euro pressed singles) after the deadwax around the label such as the copy seen below...Around the center hole, there's also some rather significant label fraying (as it wasn't cut cleanly) and the Blue Candle logo is close to the center hole which seems common to the variaition which I picked up... I've spoken with one other person so far who has an original and their copy does not share these characteristics... Their pressing also has a slightly varied matrix being BC-563 / BC-564 while the matrix on my copy is followed by -Z1 and -Z2... Oddly enough though, when I checked past auctions on Collectors Frenzy I found that the majority of the copies sold were the same as mine with that raised circle visible in pics... looking at other Blue Candle 45's on there I did find one other release with this same feature ( http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=380211700838 ) however all other releases don't seem to share this...So a couple questions... firstly, can anyone help determine if is this in fact an original, some kind of euro boot, a legit later press, etc... also, does anyone happen to know anything more about these raised rings around 45 labels? Was this just unique to euro presses? Were there any/many US releases with this characteristic? I'm guessing this would depend on the pressing plant?Any help would be appreciated and at the very least hope one/some of the heavy 45 collectors here can shed some light... Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    those 'raised rings with indentations' are pretty common on US 70's records - lots of 45s on 'People' have them for example

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Looks legit to me

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Looks legit to me

My copy looks exactly the same, label discoloration and all.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Also: thank the record gods this was never pressed on styrene!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    those 'raised rings with indentations' are pretty common

What was the idea behind this feature anyway?

Just to do extra damage to your needle if it jumps the trailoff?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Definitely OG. It was pressed with and without indentations. My copy of Robert Moore's "Tears of the world" on Blue Candle is also like that.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the knowledge dropped...

those 'raised rings with indentations' are pretty common on US 70's records - lots of 45s on 'People' have them for example

Funny though as I checked all my People 45's (25+ titles) and none have this...

What was the idea behind this feature anyway?

I always figured this was more to benefit the manufacturers then consumers... maybe label placement/centering related??