Now, That's What I Call a Hail Storm

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    That is crazy but those were about golfball sized, last week in northern Oklahoma they had a storm with softball sized hail. Broke out the windshields of every car at one dealership.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    god hates okies

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Actually fairly common down here.....especially in the Texas panhandle....check this out....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The one dude says
    "oh my god!"
    "that's insane!"
    and 'I've never seen anything like this!"
    about 50 times in a row.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I was hoping this thread would be about Strom Thurmond

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Sydney_hailstorm

So im living in Cronulla, Sydney, my flatmate and i had a ritual of walking along the coast to the point overlooking the national park and watching the big storms swing out to sea. we would drink longnecks and smoke spliffs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kClV0dK9DpFFDaMlUyS7nQ

On April 14, 1999 we watched the biggest darkest meanest sonofabitch supercell forming. As they always turned out to sea we chilled on the cliff, smoking and watching the storm. then we noticed it was not turning.

We decided to head home (a 15 minute jog) when we saw the surface of the ocean vibrating and rippling.

The wind died and the air pressure was intense. Shit got real serious real quick. The light changed and we started jogging a bit faster.

By the time we got home car windscreens were smashing behind us, we thought at first some kids were throwing rocks but when we turned, a curtain of ice was smashing its way towards us pummeling everything in its path. The last 2 minutes was a hard out sprint.

I called my brother who lived in Bondi on the other side of the city but still on the coast and told him to get inside. You have never seen anything like this.

We had hailstones the size of grapefruit smash through our glass door, my brothers roof was taken apart. every car parked outside was dented, all windows smashed, trees were shredded, roofs were battered.

The city was a warzone.

It is the most impressive storm i have ever seen and im a freak for storms, i chase em down. The coolest part was I got to watch that bad boy head in and be one of the first to see it hit.