Janelle Mon?e.

2»

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    shes pretty damn good on a dance cut. id listen to most anything by here from the tracks here. however i dont think her debarge cover was good. her voice on that track sounds amateurish and she should stick to the uptempo ones.

great dancers as well!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I really like her album and I didn't think I would. Heard Tightrope, really liked it but thought her album might disappoint and be full of those kinds of tracks. Then it turned out surprisingly diverse and has some very interesting twists in there. For instance there are a few moments where she goes into 70s folk territory. The arrangements are also very nice throughout the album.

Hope she gets big.

Had a listen through first thing this morning and wasn't entirely convinced by the album as a whole, seemed to suffer the same issues as her EP with too much thrown into the mix. However the folky songs were a nice surprise as was what sounded like an interpolation of Tomita's version of Clair De Lune on one of the last tracks.

Think I'll sit with it and give it a few more listens through before firmly coming down on the nay or yay side of the fence. Tightrope is great though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Okay, I feel stupid for asking this 'cause I should know, but what classic AM gold song is this sample from/interpolation of:

I'm not thinking of "Sound Of Silence," am I?

• Sorry a bit late to Janelle, i just picked up the album today.

She's incredible. I read that she's touring with Erykah Badu at the moment. Now that would be a great night.

My only complaint is that the album is waaaay too overproduced. I guess i'm talking about the mix, it's mixed like a Celine Dion album. Totally ruins all the songs for me. Such a shame - i love everything else about it.

Compare the audio of the Letterman performance of Tightrope to the album version. So much rawer live, a much more dangerous sound that suits her style IMO.