Joy Division Appreciation

2»

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I remember the impact of Curtis' death was muted at the time, as Doc says. By and large it was confined to the music weeklies. Chiefly among these I recall vividly Dave McCulloch in Sounds in an angst-ridden polemic talmbout 'Ian Curtis died for your sins', and then getting roundly ridiculed in the letters pages in the following weeks.

JD was my first interaction with that side of the punk movement that was moving to a darker, sparser sound.
    For a mid-teens lad revelling more in the 'lad' culture of Oi, the anger and aggression of Anarchopunk and the resurgence of metal via NWOBHM, that whole nascent shoegaze splinter group seemed an introspection too far, somewhat at odds with the teenage revelations of S&D&R n R that was going on for my generation at the time.

The release and success of LWTUA shortly thereafter was, in retrospect, a genius accidental marketing move. With hindsight it all seems so apt, so perfect.

Best believe at the time it was "see that geezer Ian Curtis is dead? Mad. 'Ere, listen to this record by the Chords...."

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ian Curtis is my favorite dancer.

Yes! Big fan of the spasm style.

Being too young for JD I grew up hearing a lot of NO but, putting all the mythology etc to the side, I would much rather listen to JD these days than NO I'm afraid. I must confess that this is at least in part due to my preference for my preference for the Jim Morrison style vocals of Curtis over Sumner's more local tones.

I also love any live version of New Dawn Fades

• love this...

need these...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    need these...

Wow. I have the shirt. Oven mitts. Crazy.

That Steel Band cover is excellent. May be the best.

I always loved Galaxie 500's cover of Ceremony too.

• Although I prefer Joy Division over New Order, I love how New Order was able to create their own sound and detract from the idea of being Ian Curtis' ex-bandmates. Power, Corruption and Lies is one of my favorite albums, but I loved how Movement was a good bridge between the old Joy Division sound and the then soon-to-be New Order sound.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    need these...

maybe you need this shirt too

Power, Corruption and Lies

That and the Temptation 12" are their two best pieces. But, to be honest, I have not really listened to much after Technique.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I love Joy Division (and New Order) but the very first time I heard them I thought something was wrong with the audio track.

need these...

maybe you need this shirt too

Cute, but not my style.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts