Joy Division Appreciation

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I'm at work and I just had a convo with this 21 year old female I know (work related) and she was listening to the following song.

So, I was like "Oh are you listening to this because it's the 30 year anniversary of Ian Curtis death?"Her reply was naw, she was at some hipster club last night and the DJ dropped this song and she used Shazam on her iphone to find the song on youtube.Anyways, I didn't pick up on Joy Division til later in my high school days. Is the movie Control worth checking out?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Is the movie Control worth checking out?

YES! Easily one of the best rock biopics ever made.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Hells yeah! Plus, there's live footage of Joy Division in the bonus features.

That video you posted kinda sucks.

^^^^THIS

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    both those ^^^ songs were my two introductions to joy division via watching 411vm vhs' as a kid.

never looked back.

Hells yeah! Plus, there's live footage of Joy Division in the bonus features.

Yes. And the footage of the "band" from the movie is cool too. Mainly because you can appreciate how much Sam Riley was into the character. Dude nailed that shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I quickly learned to like Joy Division as Substance was often the only cd that the tennis chicks I used to date back in high school had in their collections that was bearable.

Actually I don't know WTF is up with that version? Bono comes on right at the best part talking shit. Ian Curtis is my favorite dancer. I know there are full versions of songs performed live on youtubes including Transmission and She's Lost Control.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    That video you posted kinda sucks.

^^^^THIS

That was the video I wanted to post. But I threw up Love because it was what the youth I was talking to was playing.

Thx for the recommendation on Control. Will check out soon.

• Unknown Pleasures was an album that quickly grew on me, mainly because of Disorder. I'm definitely going to check out Control now.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Her reply was naw, she was at some hipster club last night and the DJ dropped this song and she used Shazam on her iphone to find the song on youtube.

Good for her I say. At least it wasn't some Lil' (insert random rapper name here) tune.
    Sorry, old guy rant over.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Ceremony is my fave Joy Division/New Order song. I was always a bigger fan of the early NO stuff than Joy Division. The mood of the Joy Division records gets too oppressive for me.

• The mood of the Joy Division records gets too oppressive for me.

Listening to live recordings of Joy Division, they sounded more like an electro-punk group in a sense. The mood on their studio albums are depressive and moody, but they're still great listens for when you're in that mood.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    check THIS out: http://neworder-recycle.blogspot.com/

dudes are doing a service for fans, big time.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    http://joydivision-neworder.blogspot.com/

No doubt there are bootlegs I've never heard and there's a Strut opinion to counter this, but their live albums are solid.
    "Who would you go back in time to see live?" is a fun game, but really, Joy Division is one band I truly smart over not being able to experience live.
    I have mentioned it a few times here over the years - their version of Sister Ray is amazing and I will never tire of Warsaw.

Only found on that Peel Session EP, no?

Does anyone care to argue that Joy Division > New Order, though?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    early no stands toe to toe with joy division. later no, well, it really is a dividing line. i ride for all their albums -- to one degree or another -- except for the very LAST one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Not that I know of...? Link?

Sister Ray (live) is on post-death collection 'Still' - double LP with recordings from their last live show and studio cuts.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    my homie + ceremony

Not that I know of...? Link?

Sister Ray (live) is on post-death collection 'Still' - double LP with recordings from their last live show and studio cuts.

This is something I remember from the late 80's, looking at the Peel Session EPs in the CD Import section of Tower Records. But now, I'm not sure if it might've been New Order Peel Session that had the cover? I was fanatical about them both at one time, but it was more than 20 years ago.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    new order did a cover of sister ray too.

I could be tripping -- this was a long time ago. At the time I didn't even know "Sister Ray" was a VU cover.

NO vs JD is a difficult situation for me. It's of the few examples of a band moving forward after an important member passed.

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    NO vs JD is a difficult situation for me. It's of the few examples of a band moving forward after an important member passed.

agreed. I can't really compare the two since they were doing totally different things. I ride for both.

• bludgerbludger 32 Posts
    (work related)

is this the new [no homo]?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I saw JD supporting Blondie sometime around Parallel Lines.

Myself and Joe Bloke mates were a bit meh. We didn't think art, seminal, passion etc. We thought 'nutter'.

Plus we'd gone to drool over D.Harry and get raucous over Hanging On The Telephone.

Sorry.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://joydivision-neworder.blogspot.com/

No doubt there are bootlegs I've never heard and there's a Strut opinion to counter this, but their live albums are solid.
    "Who would you go back in time to see live?" is a fun game, but really, Joy Division is one band I truly smart over not being able to experience live.
    I have mentioned it a few times here over the years - their version of Sister Ray is amazing and I will never tire of Warsaw.

I saw them three times; twice as headliners, and once opening for the Buzzcocks. A couple of friends of mine used to roadie for them occasionally, and through them I ended up with a bunch of bootleg cassettes of varying quality, all of which I managed to lose down the years.

Actually, one of the great things about Control is the performance sequences. I may have mentioned this in a previous thread about the movie, but if the dudes playing the respective members of Joy Division had decided to go out as a tribute act, they'd have cleaned up. The scene where they perform Dead Souls gave me chills at how absolutely dead-on they got it; moves, sound, phrasing, the lot.

I was talking to a couple of friends yesterday about the recent veneration of Curtis. Obviously, the music is a different matter, but I can't help but find it strange how his death seems to have become fetishised, especially by people to whom it can't possibly have meant anything at the time. I mean, I remember being pretty upset by the news, but it has to be said that the wider world didn't give a fuck. A friend told me how she'd been asked a few years ago by her 17-y-o nephew how the newspapers reacted to Curtis' death at the time, as if such a thing would have been a major story. The Manchester Evening News coverage consisted of a single column on page 5 or 6, which said something like "Local singer found dead on eve of tour". With the resurgence of interest in Joy Division over the last decade, it's easy to forget how comparatively marginal they were at the time. I've no doubt they were on the cusp of a commercial breakthrough that would have come even if Curtis hadn't topped himself, but they were nowhere remotely near, say, a Nirvana level of visibility and success at the time of his death.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    As an 11/12 y.o. kid, JD had some visibility in terms of what the kids were listening to. Those performances were deemed hilarious, the debate was what drugs he was on. Knowledge of JD was usually handed down via cassettes from older siblings; most of the kids at my school were nu-Mods or Trogs (metal/rock); fishtail parkas with union jacks and RAF roundels or leathers/denims with BLACK & SABBATH written like a cross down the back in amateurish "Olde English" fonts.

I would say NO > JD. NO broke some ground with their product; you could see there was a nod to Moroder in there but it still had that cold vibe, no cheese. JD were tail-end punk as far as I was concerned. And basically very much a Curtis vehicle. IMHO, A Certain Ratio were more original; I liked their sound better. Cosine on the morose nature of the JD product. Sharing those sentiments on vinyl not particularly uplifting.

I lived in Manc for a while and bumped into a few of those heads. The Factory HQ was 100 yards from UMIST. I was told that NO had to come with something completely different as they were sick of being labelled as Curtis' ex-bandmates - as if they had nothing to offer themselves - which they all did. I think NO definitely worked; the side projects I've heard from the splinter outfits seem lacking.