Latin Motel (Joe Bataan/Pete Rodriguez discogs)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I was getting annoyed at how little, accurate info was out there so I just decided to throw these together. Corrections/additions welcome. Thanks to Faux, Garcia and Reynaldo for their discographic work which came in very handy.http://soul-sides.com/2010/05/the-joe-bataan-pete-rodriguez-discographies.html

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Between you all plus a few other folks, I don't think it would be out of the question to write a fairly comprehensive discography book of salsa/boogaloo/latin soul recorded in the USA, especially if it included 45s it'd be a pretty hefty resource. Reynaldo probably has half of it scanned in and typed out by now.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Between you all plus a few other folks, I don't think it would be out of the question to write a fairly comprehensive discography book of salsa/boogaloo/latin soul recorded in the USA, especially if it included 45s it'd be a pretty hefty resource. Reynaldo probably has half of it scanned in and typed out by now.

This has come to mind. Seriously though, Faux and Garcia did an incredible job with all their discogs and the fact that Rey took on the Fania LP AND 45 discogs is impressive in its own right.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Nice list. I would put "Now" on the essential list for Pete, one of my favorite albums of his for sure, all subjective though for sure. Can't belive nobody's heard from Pete in 40 years! I'll reach out to my people in PR and see if they have anything to add.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

At this point, I think the internet is a much better suited medium for discographies--for one thing, it allows for constant revision.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Oliver, FYI: I am pretty sure that "Garcia Vega" is not Garcia Vega's real name.

That, or he's been lying to me.

Oliver, FYI: I am pretty sure that "Garcia Vega" is not Garcia Vega's real name.

That, or he's been lying to me.

I know but I didn't have his real name handy so I just went with what I knew.

And I agree: internet discog > printed discog. No dough though!

Nice list. I would put "Now" on the essential list for Pete, one of my favorite albums of his for sure, all subjective though for sure. Can't belive nobody's heard from Pete in 40 years! I'll reach out to my people in PR and see if they have anything to add.

Yeah - pretty nuts. I went with all the usual suspects to try to track him down: Mike Amadeo, Joe Conzo Sr., Joe Bataan, Bobby Marin and Benny Bonilla. Nada. I tried tracking down Manny Rodriguez too but he hasn't been heard of in decades either; he moved down to Venice FL at some point and I did find a 74 year old guy near there named Manny Rodriguez but turned out to be a false lead.

If you have any luck, please let me know!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Hahaha, government name or internet alias is all good with me.

At this point, I think the internet is a much better suited medium for discographies--for one thing, it allows for constant revision.

Yeah, probably true, but at the same time stuff like Acid Archives and the god-awful "Funk Lexicon" continue to sell, and I mean people buy those Japanese rare groove guides even though they don't understand a single word of them.

I agree it's way more useful for the general public online, but kind of fruitless for the compilers.

Nice list. I would put "Now" on the essential list for Pete

I've just never sat with it so I couldn't really evaluate properly. Best LP cover though!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Looks good, OW. Artist discogs are especially useful for artists with deep catalogs; and including the year of release is important. The ones on HYP are a big help. A way to expand the info/usefulness would be to include the song titles, like the Both Sides Now dudes do. I've contemplated doing individual artist discogs but my personality is better suited to the more linear and impersonal label discography.

I agree with faux that online > book when it comes to reference stuff like this. Online info is easier to search, copy, edit, reformat, etc.--and it's cheaper to produce. I'd be down to do a book just for vanity's sake, though.

Looks good, OW. Artist discogs are especially useful for artists with deep catalogs; and including the year of release is important. The ones on HYP are a big help. A way to expand the info/usefulness would be to include the song titles, like the Both Sides Now dudes do.

yeah, I thought about it. Too lazy. If someone feels like organizing them, I'm down to cut n' paste (and in any case, I'd need help with all the Remo releases).

If you guys are serious about putting it online, talk to discogs to see how content can be organized using their system but then presented in different formats through their API. It's really how any discography should be assembled these days given their clout and organized system.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i really commend rey and faux's effort and am glad i contributed one tiny thing(a PR rec). There may still be more to add.
    i hope the list continues to grow and gets revised further
    and your connections to fania.com put you in a perfect position oliver

• bobo0016bobo0016 14 Posts

Whoa, I didn't know he's not been heard from for so long. "Now" is one of my favorites too, and I object to the Christmas Boogaloos lp in the completists category, there's several good songs on that album.

If you guys are serious about putting it online, talk to discogs to see how content can be organized using their system but then presented in different formats through their API. It's really how any discography should be assembled these days given their clout and organized system.

I thought about this but man, the discogs system is a pain in the ass to 1) write for and 2) organize. I applaud them as a resource in general but I fault them for having a less-than-manageable system for contributing or reaggregating data to fit user needs.

The Groovecollector.com site is actually superior in this sense; less hoops to jump through, but their information is incredibly prone to misinformation.

Whoa, I didn't know he's not been heard from for so long. "Now" is one of my favorites too, and I object to the Christmas Boogaloos lp in the completists category, there's several good songs on that album.

I'll revisit the latter but dude, it's called *personal recommendations* for a reason.