Post your favorite Marvin Gaye related song!

chimachima 33 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Watched an old VHS of this yesterday

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Marvin Gaye vs Marvin Related?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Marvin Gaye vs Marvin Related?

Anything GAY.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anything GAY.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    marvin's og name was "gay". ritz talks about how marvin changed it and how that was all part of the embarrassment he had towards his family and background and possibly his own sexual insecurity....

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    No song but I saw a documentary once about Marvin living in Oostende in Belgium. He was walking into some pub with a couple of locals hanging at the bar. He's the only black dude in the bar.
    Being a superstar already nobody had the slightest clue who he was. Weird to see that.

I'm sure there's a clip of this on YouTube somewhere but I couldn't find it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Anything GAY.

At first glance I thought you'd somehow turned the 'quote function' into a speech bubble..? (little white triangle related)

-

Anyway. Not my all time favourite, but I've been playing this one again lately.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Such an incredible duo both ending in tragedy.

- spidey

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "...listening to Marvin all night long..."

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I had, "Pride & Joy," stuck in my head today.

So, for today, its "Pride & Joy."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

This is an easy one:

This song has been my shit since I was 7 years old. It's so silky smooth, soulful, and beautiful. I still have my original "I Want You" LP sent by the Columbia Record Club in 1976. Where the fuck is Terre Haute, Indiana anyway?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• scribescribe 16 Posts
    Love this live version, especially the way "What's Happening Brother" sounds:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This seems as good a place as any to mention that, while I've listened to and loved Here, My Dear for many years I've only recently become obsessed with a single part of Time To Get It Together.

It happens at 3.04/5 in this version on YouTube and is a really unexpectedly rough cut in such a smooth song but I love it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    it changes week to week, i guess at the moment it would be a toss-up between T Plays It Cool and Where Are We Going.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Inner City Blues

[insert a good version of the Donny Hathaway cover here, which (gasp)I think is better than the og(/gasp)]

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

An early favourite. When I see clips like these I always think of how weird it must be to have performed "live" like this - alone on a stage doing singback in front of a tv audience. That "Distant lover" clip is like the opposite of that...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Not my favorite, but just wanted to throw this one in here:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

not really my fav. but its a nice flip.
    that scarface lp was my shit bitd - hard to find on vinyl

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    brand nubian - meaning of the 5%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAmKnCfAnw

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

kills it.

- spidey

Marvin on drums.

-d

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This is like going to ESPNZone forums and posting "who likes Michael Jordan?"

Dumbass Germans.

HABEN ZE DER BAN!