Post your favorite tune by Chicago

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Check the guitar work...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn that's a tougher question than you would think. Knowing this will just turn into a "Post a Chicago YouTube" thread and since Street Player was already posted, I'll just throw this joint up. I love this tune.

DUDE LOOK AT PETER KILLING THAT SHIT.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Check the guitar work...

Terry Kath, underrated guitar hero.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    "A Hit By Varese", the song that introduced me to Chicago beyond "If You Leave Me Now" on the radio.

"Happy Cause I'm Going Home" is a fave too. Best lalala singalong song ever?

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts
    25 or 6 to 4

• 25 or 6 to 4

I'm not very familiar with Chicago so I'll have to say this as well.

Best album for me to get familiar?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

DUDE LOOK AT PETER KILLING THAT SHIT.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    25 or 6 to 4

Haha, whenever the family of my ex-girl was gathering and they were drunk enough some uncle would throw in a Chicago CD and everybody was getting down to this song in the living room (along with some old Manfred Krug songs). That was great.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If "Happy 'Cause I'm Going Home" hadn't been picked at the top of the thread, I'd have gone with that. So I'll go with this instead.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    25 or 6 to 4

I ride for I-VII, but haven't really listened to the Carnegie Hall (IV) box, but it does have a sick poster. Sreet Player is on 13, which is pretty good LP. the 12" mix is better, but really hard to find. I was surprised to see how many different Chicago LP tracks were listed throughout Vince Alletti's Disco Files book. I had always assumed they were mostly a radio oriented rock band, but DJs were rocking their stuff way before Street Player.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    25 or 6 to 4

haven't really listened to the Carnegie Hall (IV) box,

ive had this box sitting on the shelf for like 10 years plus, must have checked it back when it somehow fell into my record bag, not the worlds biggest chicago fan, have been thinking about listening to the box though, but daamn, its like four live albums in a row, quite the uncomfortably large dose of vocal horn rock..

since their records are common and cheap, i feel confident that ive heard all their earlier albums, and the brown leather lookish (no idear which number) is the better imo, bit more experimental with jazzy instrumental fusion like parts..

it does have a nice booklet, but unfortunately no poster, a pity.. i would have loved to have those hairy stan bronstein look a likes up on the wall !!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I'm not knowing anything I need to hear apart from this cut by Chicago, but I bang the fuck out of this in disco/funk sets. Are there other cuts by them that are along similar lines?

I'm not knowing anything I need to hear apart from this cut by Chicago, but I bang the fuck out of this in disco/funk sets. Are there other cuts by them that are along similar lines?

especially back in the mid 90s when bucketheads has their big hit based on that song, never owned a copy of buckethead record, but street player got play!!

also i should add, though its prolly common knowledge, that this one holds the dopest chicago drumbreak.. im sure u cats know already..

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sreet Player is on 13, which is pretty good LP. the 12" mix is better, but really hard to find.

I come across the euro press of this once in a while. Got a dupe right now. Nice to have on loud 45rpm 12".

Upskiboo, you're actually the one who introduced me "A Hit By Varese" maaaaany years ago @frederiksborgvej.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• rayray 77 Posts
    "Sing a Mean Tune Kid"

(Original version doesn't seem to be on Youtube...)

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I used to, and still do, play this in sets

• imma go ahaedand say 25 or 6 to 4.

terry kath kills this.

forwardslash quote "terry kath underrated blah blah" end forward slash.

true true bout it bout it.

where's that drinkin 'n postin graemlin?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've always loved this joint since childhood:

The vocals, instrumentation, and arranging is .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak