Fender Rhodes MK I '74 88 Keys Question

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
so, was wondering if any of you guys could give me some pro's or con's on this particular model before i take the plunge. thanks

Comments

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    ask DOR if they have one in storage at his work

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    its big and heavy.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Depends on price and condition but you should seriously think about it. Check the hammer tips, bushings, electronics (mainly if it's a suitcase, but it's more likely to be a stage), tines etc - if it's in nice condition then it's a no-brainer. I love my suitcase Rhodes (it's a '75 mk1 suitcase 88) and it sounds amazing. I posted a video of mine on soulstrut yesterday - check the 'Herbie on Rhodes..' thread to hear what a Rhodes should sound like...
    Hope that helps,
    Tom

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    very helpful. its a suitcase one with a speaker and guy swears its completely mint internally. he wants 6 bills, i think i am taking the plunge...

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    very helpful. its a suitcase one with a speaker and guy swears its completely mint internally. he wants 6 bills, i think i am taking the plunge...

Do it, you won't regret it. I bought one for $600 years ago, and hate that I had to give in up in a move. Wish I still had it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That's cheap. Make sure the amp works, look inside at the tines/hammer tips/overall condition, check the action of the keys etc. Basically just test it and check it out in general. If it's cool for the most part, they're pretty easy to repair. I would DO EET.

You're gonna need help moving that thing, too.

thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated. will post photos if and when i close the deal...

life is great! that was the best 6 bills i may have ever dropped. i am in love. starting next week, back to square one to re-learn theory..

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Wow, that's in great condition.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Daaaaamn! You got a GREAT deal.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    the amp!! wow. great haul.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ok, Rhodes people, this looks similar (maybe a bit more basic) to the one I used to have, but mine didn't have legs & the amp/speaker was all black & was the length of the keyboard itself, the keyboard sat on top of the massive speaker/amp, I don't think it said Fender on it at all either. I sold it when I finished high school because I play guitar more & didn't have anywhere to put it when I moved out of my parent's place. I always think one day I'll find another one for the $200 I bought it for (onsold it for $500 which paid a few weeks rent), but this was 15 years ago now, so I'm pretty sure I'll never score one for that price again. What damn model did I have???

• ok, Rhodes people, this looks similar (maybe a bit more basic) to the one I used to have, but mine didn't have legs & the amp/speaker was all black & was the length of the keyboard itself, the keyboard sat on top of the massive speaker/amp, I don't think it said Fender on it at all either. I sold it when I finished high school because I play guitar more & didn't have anywhere to put it when I moved out of my parent's place. I always think one day I'll find another one for the $200 I bought it for (onsold it for $500 which paid a few weeks rent), but this was 15 years ago now, so I'm pretty sure I'll never score one for that price again. What damn model did I have???

like this?

yeah, that sort of setup, but all black & just Rhodes, not Fender Rhodes. It was massive.

• chasechase 767 Posts

this one?

80s model, not as sought after as the 70s versions, I think after cbs bought fender they stopped labeling it as a "fender", but the same people made them. I have this same rhodes, I got it like 5 years ago for $350 and the amp doesn't work, which is still a pretty good deal

• chasechase 767 Posts
    life is great! that was the best 6 bills i may have ever dropped. i am in love. starting next week, back to square one to re-learn theory..

beautiful condition, and those satellite speakers are hard to come by. great come up.

and thats a stage, not a suitcase

this one?

80s model, not as sought after as the 70s versions, I think after cbs bought fender they stopped labeling it as a "fender", but the same people made them. I have this same rhodes, I got it like 5 years ago for $350 and the amp doesn't work, which is still a pretty good deal
    that looks more like it, I think the guy I sold it to said it was from the late 70s, sounded good.

• doomdoom 305 Posts

this one?

that looks more like it, I think the guy I sold it to said it was from the late 70s, sounded good.

mark ii is 1979-1983 so it could be 70s. my personal fave of the rhodes family, because of its discrete attack of the sounds. also got one cheap, not the best condition tho. but i think that adds character anyways.