i've become a box-set sucker

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ^^^ never seen or even heard of that, fucking ridiculous

We just got the 3 CD first part of a box set in the US, which only covered up to '76 I think?

Is the pressing as shoddy as I'd expect on that beast?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No, the pressing is good. Streetsounds ruled this game bitd. No wonder they went bust. No way they made profit on this stuff, IIRC it retailed for about ?30 ($45 ish). Kind of made having any of the og redundant.

One underrated benefit of the box set is the stability it adds to teh expedit, plus the nice bookend effect it has in a gang of comps.

I actually meant that as a jab at StreetSounds... (based on the ones I've heard) they kinda exemplify the shallow-as-fuck pressings I associate with UK reissues of the 80s (alongside Charly and other 'crust' oriented outfits of the era)...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yeah, Charly is awful. As is Kent.

Actually Charly was situated at the end of my road back then, and the geezers in the warehouse were mad suspect.

The quality of Streetsounds was up there IMHO. Check those Jazz Juice comps. That's quality oomph and clarity right there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Streetsounds

Are you qualified to speak on the past, present and future of Morgan Khan? (pls consider this to include all variations of his surname)?

I found the Electro stuff was attracting a juvenile element in it's time. Kind of put me off their product when vinyls were my drug of choice.

That Philly box looks worthy doe.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Ninja Tune buyer = profit.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Streetsounds

Are you qualified to speak on the past, present and future of Morgan Khan? (pls consider this to include all variations of his surname)?

I found the Electro stuff was attracting a juvenile element in it's time. Kind of put me off their product when vinyls were my drug of choice.

That Philly box looks worthy doe.

hes back in the game don't you know, so you best watch ya mouf.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Favourite box set

14 LPs of goodness

YOU SOUND BRITISH

YOU SOUND BRITISH

Well at least he didn't say its a right corker (aside from the few duffers) and that the pressing isn't pants.

• I just loaded our Sun Ra singles 3x7" box-set onto Jazzman if you have the need for a 3x7" boxset of glow in the dark space jazz.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I just loaded our Sun Ra singles 3x7" box-set onto Jazzman if you have the need for a 3x7" boxset of glow in the dark space jazz.

DUDE, POSTS LIKE THIS DONT DO MUCH TO HELP ME BREAK MY BOXSET HABIT!