Gentlemen Broncos (Sam Rockwell)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
not really that good of a movie, but it's worth it for the Sam Rockwell scenes as part of the movie within the movie. Overall it's got a kind of Napoleon Dynamite thing going on and it's not that great, but Yeast Lords is pretty awesome. He's getting praise in the Iron Man thread. He's super funny in this movie too.Broncanus!

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i think i'm in the minority, as i really enjoyed this film.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've only seen the clip where Jemaine Clement as Dr. Ronald Chevalier explains how to name your sci-fi heroes and it's beyond hilarious, but from what I've heard the rest of the movie is a lot of empty quirk so I decided to wait and see the movie on cable. I'm still waiting.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Probably get clowned saying this.

But Galaxy Quest was actually a pretty funny movie. And Rockwell was great.

Also liked him in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Moon

Have not seen Gentlemen Broncos. Will check out. Thx

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    i think i'm in the minority, as i really enjoyed this film.

It's definitely enjoyable. I thought it would be worse, but it's pretty funny. It's got some moments where it seems like it's trying too hard, but it's totally worth it for the totally over the top ridiculous moments.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    right now its got a low IMDB rating but i can see it growing in popularity as a cult-comedy.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    it's totally worth it for the totally over the top ridiculous moments.

I totally just added it to my Netflix queue.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    It's the worst movie you must see. Just imagine a flaming tranny scifi hero.
    Rent the DVD so you can see the deleted scene "Brutus's Cave", which I think about every time I want to crack up.
    The movie is endlessly quotable.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    He was great in Moon, I will check this out.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Gentlemen Broncos fucking rules.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My favorite Sam Rockwell movie is Box of Moonlight. You can watch the whole thing on youtube.

• Moon was such a great film. Gentleman Broncos was definitely hilarious. Dr. Roland Chevalier was easily the most outlandish character. Broncanus is classic.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Great movie.

I recommend seeing it drunk.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Somehow toes the line between incredible and unwatchable. Chevalier was that dude and the movie was worth it almost alone for the fantasy novel cover art.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Somehow toes the line between incredible and unwatchable. Chevalier was that dude and the movie was worth it almost alone for the fantasy novel cover art.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14790_best-worst-fantasy-science-fiction-book-covers.html

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hadn't seen anything about this film before this thread but will check it out as I ride for Rockwell related movies. Guy has a great amount of screen charisma.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Great movie.

I recommend seeing it drunk.

Mamet rides for Galaxy Quest:

Now, when you get a great script done with great actors then you have a classic.
    The Godfather, A Place on the Sun, Dodsworth, Galaxy Quest?these are perfect films. They start with a simple premise and proceed logically, and inevitably, toward a conclusion both surprising and inevitable.
    Bambi vs. Godzilla pg 69

While I wouldn't necessarily compare Galaxy Quest to The Godfather, it is a pretty entertaining movie that even overcomes the casting of Tim Allen.

• I finally saw this yesterday.

the Rockwell scenes are indeed great.

and Dr. Ronald Chevalier is a great villain; I was feeling his 80's George Lucas stylings.

[i]http://i.indiewire.com/images/uploads/i/20090630_gentlemenbroncos.jpg

and there's a great Scorpions musical montage.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    DOR said:

Also liked him in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Moon

Have not seen Gentlemen Broncos. Will check out. Thx

I liked Galaxy Quest. Rockwell was a great scumball in The Green Mile, too. Kind of slept-on as an actor, I feel. Never even seems to turn up in "most slept-on" lists.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockwell was a great scumball in The Green Mile, too. Kind of slept-on as an actor, I feel. Never even seems to turn up in "most slept-on" lists.

Yeah, he's pretty slept-on as a slept-on actor.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockwell was a great scumball in The Green Mile, too. Kind of slept-on as an actor, I feel. Never even seems to turn up in "most slept-on" lists.

:post_modern:

• am I the only one for whom all these posts are appearing in italics?

• DocMcCoy said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    DocMcCoy said:

:post_modern:

it's like a lot of folls forget to sleep on him; like he's off the sleep-on radar for lots of people.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    am I the only one for whom all these posts are appearing in italics?

Not sure what exactly do you mean by italics?

I've been having a strange urge to revisit this movie.