Haryou pressing roundup

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Can anyone out there speak with authority, confidence and/or impudence on the known pressings, bootlegs and general issuance wrinkles on this LP? In other words, how to truly identify the level of OG-ness.If so, please to speak up.

Comments

• francozola0francozola0 129 Posts
    As far as I know Esp pressing first it has a stamp of sounds of ghetto youth in the middle of the faces which are in black and white not colour. The label is orange with ESP DISK 209 west end ave NY NY 10023 under the spindle hole. Second press is like above and is on Oro 5 supposedly they have different sound quality. There was an ubiquity reissue about ten years ago which was pretty good quality pressing I dont know anything about the bootlegs. As always I stand to be corrected.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thanks Franco

What with being in Ireland, what's your digging MO?

b/w I need some Lizzy raer

• SoundclashSoundclash 77 Posts
    http://www.geocities.jp/tfgroove/croom

The picture of the black & white cover is missing though... (but it is included in the Rare Groove A to Z book written by this same dude)

I dont have an MO other than work hard and pay big. None of the records I want are here. Its ok for UK Jazz psych and folky stuff but forget about the funk. Shades of a blue orphanage is the Lizzy raer you need. Take it easy Skel.

I dont have an MO other than work hard and pay big. None of the records I want are here. Its ok for UK Jazz psych and folky stuff but forget about the funk. Shades of a blue orphanage is the Lizzy raer you need. Take it easy Skel.

Mate I have Shades.

What I need is a mint og new day ep

Will swap for promo Rocker + Randolph's Tango withdrawn issue

Holler!

Sure Ill keep the eyes peeled mate

http://www.geocities.jp/tfgroove/croom

The picture of the black & white cover is missing though... (but it is included in the Rare Groove A to Z book written by this same dude)

Not understanding this one...
    is dude asking questions or making statement?

Hes sayinhg that the picture of the first pressing is included in Dj Muros Rare Groove AZ and he doesnt have one youll see the one you want on Popsike.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ORO was a short-lived ESP subsidiary that only put out four records. It would make more sense (to me) if Har-You came out on ORO first with the color cover, and then once the label was discontinued it got repressed by ESP with the black cover. Just read the quote below from the founder; it sounds like he realized that he didn't need to create a new label to put out more popular-sounding music. I don't know how much sense it would make for ESP to have released the record on ESP first, then changed their mind about what label it needed to be under and release it on ORO, and then change their mind back.

All About Jazz[/b]: You did set up the Oro subsidiary later; how did that come about?

Bernard Stollman[/b]: Well, there were only four titles?All That the Name Implies, a group that was around for a nanosecond; Bruce Mackay [1069]; Todd Kelley [1097] and the Haryou Percussion Group [1067]. The idea was for a ?pop? label, and that?s how we approached it, but we felt it was better to collect the music under one roof and let ESP be a unitary approach to a diverse number of ideas about music.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bruce Mackay [ESP-1069; Oro-1] has the 156 Fifth Ave. address, and the ESP (B&W cover) press of Har-You [ESP-1067; Oro-5] has the 290 West End Ave address.

Also check out the notes here: http://www.jazzdisco.org/esp-disk/catalog-1000-oro-twelve-inch-series/#esp-1067

Address breakdown:

1st) 180 Riverside Drive, NY NY 10024
    ESP-1002 (1964) -- ESP-1028/29 (1966)

2nd) 156 Fifth Avenue, NY NY 10010
    ESP-1030 (1966) -- ESP-2000 roughly (1969)

3rd) 300 W. 55, NY NY 10019
    ESP-1091 (1969)

4th) 5 Riverside Drive, NY NY 10023
    ESP-2004

5th) Acorn Hill House, Krumville, NY 12447
    ESP-3003 (1972)

6th) 290 West End Ave, NY NY 10023
    ESP-3004 (1973) -- ESP-3021 (1975)

Radical. Thanks Rey. If I can return the favour by validating, say, your collection of anarcho punk 45s on the CRASS label, holler.