M EX I C O vs. O AX A C A

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I'm heading to Mexico City on Saturday, then down to Oaxaca (the city first, then the coast). I have just over two weeks to travel. Any last minute tips for the best food ever, must-see sites, day trips, records, nature, cinema, nightlife? I also don't have a place to stay lined up in Oaxaca yet. Any hostel/hotel suggestions? Let's do this!

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Here's some pointers from others and myself.

Hit me up if you want more.
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1409104&an=0&page=0#Post1409104

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Oaxaca cheap: Hotel Santa Isabel, shared showers, rustic/rusty rooms, but close to center.
    Oaxaca nice: Hotel Cazomalli or others nearby. Northeast of center but walkable and great view.

Records: cockroach encrusted Marimba LPs in the market. It's way more interesting for the other stuff.

Must see: Playa Manzanillo in Pto Escondido. One day won't be enough though.
    Pto Angel is really nice as well.

You can get a minibus from Oax city to the coast, 6 hrs, need dramamine. If you are flying back out of Mex City, it is worth thinking about getting a quick flight to there from Huatulco because you'll get an extra day on the beach instead of a whole day on the bus.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    oaxaca city is fresh - really can't go wrong with any food, etc. there are also a few art and architecture museums that are must-sees when you get there.

as far as the coast, I have been down to puerto escondido many times - have stayed at hotel santa fe (meh, but the tortilla soup is off the chain)Hotel flor de maria is really charming and cheap. owned by ex-pat canadians who are also very nice. I would opt out of the bus ride and just get the 100 dollar flight and save yourself 6-8 hours and possibly getting sick. Not much to do in pto escondido but relax, surf and sit on the beach. Zicatela has the most incredible break I have ever witnessed - Mexican Pipeline.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Zicatela has the most incredible break I have ever witnessed - Mexican Pipeline.

Yes dude...yes! Glad to have you telling me things like this.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Oaxaca cheap: Hotel Santa Isabel, shared showers, rustic/rusty rooms, but close to center.
    Oaxaca nice: Hotel Cazomalli or others nearby. Northeast of center but walkable and great view.

Records: cockroach encrusted Marimba LPs in the market. It's way more interesting for the other stuff.

Must see: Playa Manzanillo in Pto Escondido. One day won't be enough though.
    Pto Angel is really nice as well.

You can get a minibus from Oax city to the coast, 6 hrs, need dramamine. If you are flying back out of Mex City, it is worth thinking about getting a quick flight to there from Huatulco because you'll get an extra day on the beach instead of a whole day on the bus.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definately look into flying out of Huatulco now. I had my eye on Mazunte for the coastal part of the trip, but I'm afraid I'm trying to squeeze too many regions into a sixteen-day stay. Cutting out the bus back to Oaxaca, then back to Mexico City would definately give me some extra time.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Mazunte is totally doable as well, it's very close to Pto Angel. It's more about hammocks on the beach, which is cool but I'm not a broke backpacker anymore

• don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
    the bus ride from DF to Oaxaca is crazy...sit behind the driver if possible and watch your life flash before your very eyes...huge cliffs w/ little to stop the bus from plunging over the edge, passing around blind corners, animals hanging out in the road, etc

nearly died from eating fish tacos on the beach of Pto Escondido, Mazunte es tranquilo, pura playa as they like to say...the beach up the road from Mazunte--cant recall the name--has a bad rep for drug addicts and low life criminals...avoid if possible

the ruins on the outskirts of Oaxaca are cool...found some killer cumbia cds in the stalls back into town...the food in Oaxaca is amazing btw

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Where are my food people at? Any recommendations for favorite restaurants and food carts in both cities?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Try the Tamales Oaxacenos, wrapped up in banana leaves. Can't remember the hotel's name where I got them, though. One of the best meals I've ever had in Mexico.