Brian Bennett Voyage LP

triptoyourmindtriptoyourmind 294 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Probably a question for the UK peeps - does anyone know if there is a reissue of this LP floating around out there? I'm trying to work out if a copy i've got is an original or not.Cheers!

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've never seen a repress and usually stores like Amoeba tend to have reissues of any and all albums that are in print.

There's also a library version of this album on the Bruton label titled "Fantasia"

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    wount answer your question. but great lp, the cosmic jams on there are underrated. more than just solstice imo.

• thanks for the info, seems my ?2 was well spent then! such a cool album.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Great for ?2.
    I missed on for ?5 a few years ago, a dealer got to the crate about 2 seconds ahead of me, otherwise it would have been mine

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Used to pick this up for ?1/?2 all the time. Must have had 10 copies over the years. Traded them with Sound Library back in the early 00s for really good money. Not sure what it goes for now.
    And yes, co-sign on there being some good songs on there.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    It goes for ?15/20 these days. Ive never seen a reissue, but the OG should be easy to spot as it's a laminated sleeve.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    What seems like many years ago, DJ Anonymous played in my town, this was when he just released the "Listen" mix. I didn't know Solstice then, and asked him what that certain song on his mix was. "Oh yeah, that's an album with a yellow spaceship on it" and he described where I could find it in a local record store. He'd seen it there but didn't think it was clean enough to pay the equivalent of 10 bucks for it. I was happy to get it, and just thought it was a classy move - talk about sharing knowledge.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I found it for 500 Pesetas in Barcelona 13 years ago and feel like I didn't pull it out in the last ten years. Back then I only dug "Solstice". Have to give the other tracks a new listen.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I have a couple of his singles as well, no solstice though.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    It goes for ?15/20 these days. Ive never seen a reissue, but the OG should be easy to spot as it's a laminated sleeve.

and sometimes a bit more....

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Default.aspx?ctl00%24SearchKey=brian+bennett+voyage&SortKey=0

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    if anyone wants to sell me a copy for ?15/20, im all ears!

it was priced substantially higher (read: rip off) the last time i had the opportunity to buy it

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    wermser traded me a copy of weldon irvines 2d lp on nodlew for the bruton press of solstice.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    its just one of those records that symbolizes music evolution at that point in time, stuff really progressed alot in that 10 year span, thinking about what BB was recording with the shadows years earlier, quite a stretch, from beat a gogo chease to spacey synth funk..

Today I heard the "Cosmic Disco" tracks on Voyage again fo the first time in ages and still don't like them. Stays a one-tracker for me and I wouldn't pay more then 10 ? for it.

Reminds me a lot of the cosmic sound of the Captain Future OST but the latter is much, much better IMO:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Today I heard the "Cosmic Disco" tracks on Voyage again fo the first time in ages and still don't like them. Stays a one-tracker for me and I wouldn't pay more then 10 ? for it.

Reminds me a lot of the cosmic sound of the Captain Future OST but the latter is much, much better IMO:

There's probably a lot of soundtrack work of that era that sounds similar, but I think the Voyage Lp is interesting because it isn't just tepid disco, it's part prog, krautrock, funk & disco. It's not a amazingly solid lp by any stretch, but you're way to quick to dismiss it.

There's probably a lot of soundtrack work of that era that sounds similar, but I think the Voyage Lp is interesting because it isn't just tepid disco, it's part prog, krautrock, funk & disco. It's not a amazingly solid lp by any stretch, but you're way to quick to dismiss it.

Perhaps it's because I'm not into Kraut nor Prog that I dismiss it.

• Voyage vs Absolute Elsewhere.....?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Voyage vs Absolute Elsewhere.....?

I cosign not being that impressed by everyting on Voyage that isn't Solstice. Absolute Elsewhere lacks a standout track like Solstice but is pretty solid from start to finish if I remember correctly. Might have to put that one on after work today.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

But you like the Solstice track which is a very Kraut/Prog sounding track.

Really, no Can or Neu! Ash Ra or Amon Duul? Oh well.

But you like the Solstice track which is a very Kraut/Prog sounding track.

Really, no Can or Neu! Ash Ra or Amon Duul? Oh well.

Can and Neu! in small dosage. (I like "Ege Bamyasi" a lot.) Ash Ra and Amon D??l never.
    Solstice has a strong fusion-jazz vibe to it which the other tracks on Voyage lack. I bought that record as a 16 year old in 1995 without knowing it just because of the cover and Solstice just blew me away because it was an accomplished Hip Hop beat to me.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    wermser traded me a copy of weldon irvines 2d lp on nodlew for the bruton press of solstice.

think I've openly admitted that on here before. Kon plays like the catholic church - he likes taking advantage of young boys.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    wount answer your question. but great lp, the cosmic jams on there are underrated. more than just solstice imo.

HELl yeah. Solstice was one of those tracks I heard in the 90's that got me hooked on records. The entire LP is nice.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Finally found a copy this weekend at a reasonable price!