Dislike Buttons

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
On the new site, you will have the ability to "like" something.... like a mix for instance. I was pondering a dislike button as well, but I thought it might breed a lot of negativity (maybe the same reason Facebook doesn't do it.)What are your thoughts?

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    yeah, I think a low "like" count indicates that.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I like the sound of it.

*secretly presses dislike button*

Would the button pressing be anonymous, public, available to the original poster/DJ as feedback?

Just thinking you wouldn't want someone with tenderberries to just constantly click the button of someone who offended them over elbows or the like. Could be linked to IP address I guess?

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    I thought it might breed a lot of negativity (maybe the same reason Facebook doesn't do it.)

I agree with this part. I see no reason for a dislike button here nor on facebook.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    helll yeah!!
    and not anonymous either. how about doing it to message board threads too!!
    or to individual posts. cause some people just like to post in every single thread and say nothing. i know i deserve some dislike buttons on my posts.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i think if you have a like button, you should also have the dislike button.

for better or worse, being critical (and unfortunately sometimes being personal and rude)are hallmarks of this place.

the mods are there to shut things down if things ever get out of control...

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    even before this was posted i guessed there would be some sort of x reps y vouching system. particularly for new sellers -- somewhere between ebay feedback and an fb friend. true?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I'd stay away from the "like" or "dislike"

Why do we need to rate anyway?

I understand the aspect for a mix, but maybe leave a section for comments?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No dislike button. Like the dude said a low "Like" count says enough. Just gives more power to people who love to be antagonistic via the safe haven that is the anonymous internet. Just don't do it dude.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Just gives more power to people who love to be antagonistic via the safe haven that is the anonymous internet.

actually, i can't argue with that logic. i change my position, no "dislike button"- it can't lead to anything good or productive.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    We need an "asshurt" button.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    No dislike button.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    next level graemlin strings is where it's at
    stick with those
    eBay style feedback wars?--don't need em
    in other words I'm giving a low "like" index to the "dislike button"
    I've been here a year dude, listen to me

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i remember when we used to have thread ratings of 1-5 stars and guzzo complained of a 'one star bandit' who rated all of his threads low. and then they were done away with.

this kind of sounds like the same idea.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Dislike

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Something that could point out a good thread would be great.

Many times I don't check out a thread only to see a mention of it in another thread which makes me check it out. And I think DAMN, I almost missed this classic.

But it would have to show how many people liked it. Just one dude giving it a thumbs up is not enough. Or maybe have it show after 5 or 10 users have marked it as like.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Can we get a D.E.L.E.T.E button for batmon already that removes the thread from his sensitive eyes?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A like button can be abused just as easily as a dislike button. I think the dislikers need the ability to counter the abusive likers.

Maybe have it look like:

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    We need an "asshurt" button.

I like this.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    why do we have to rate threads?

let them exist without some 'classic' award attached to them. the good one eventually get hits. that enuff im my book.

I dont need to be swayed to a specific thread cause so-and -so likes it.

let it be.

And why have more "buttons" when u have a gang of graemlins already?

I dont see the advantage of having More 'medals'.

like those silly stickers on albums that have critics quote - "so and so said it like marvin gaye meets gary coleman"

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i say no to "like/dislike" buttons....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I say no to dislike/like buttons, but I say yes to rating posteurs on the board in a 1-5 stars system.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    'one start bandit'

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Another forum I post on has a Gold forum where all the classics threads get archived for posterity so no need to go search for them / ghost bump etc.

How they get judged worthy enough for the gold is another matter though

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    we just added a voting system for posts on the site I werk on basically a like dislike with a running tally. Doesn't seem to be abused yet (and believe me our forum / community makes the strut look pretty tame!)

we also implemented a "follow" option so people can get notified when people respond to their threads / posts.

And another nice feature is we grouped the responses to posts WITH that post and put in hiding / show options. SO if a thread goes off the rails all those responses can be user hidden and you don't have to read that BS.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I say no to dislike/like buttons, but I say yes to rating posteurs on the board in a 1-5 stars system.

We might as well buy a lunch table and only let the cool kids sit at it.