The Gories live 2010 - yay or nay?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
They're coming to Toronto in a few weeks with both Mick Collins and Danny Kroha in the line-up. Has anyone seen them recently? How was it?There was no mention of Peggy O'Neill - she not part of the reunion?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If they're gonna play this, I'd say automatic yes.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, I bet they still put on a bitchin' live show.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Peg is indeed with them...I had to be her handler here in Memphis as she was drunk and falling down and throwing bottles at Mick(they hate each other) I ended up having to carry her around. As far as the show it sounded like the same sloppy mess as they did 20 years ago. Personally I think they suck, I was never a fan.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I would go regardless, but then again I may as well be president of the fan club. The Gories were a do-no-wrong band, to my way of thinking. If that shit came to Chicago, I'd go without thinking twice.

I prefer my slop ala Gibson Brothers/68 Comeback...Jeff Evans is my dude. Even though those bands shared members with the Gories and it can be argued they make the same mess of a noise, I just dig the Evans vibe over the Collins vibe.

The Gibsons/'68 Comeback had more of a pronounced country influence than the Gories and their spinoffs...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Gibsons/'68 Comeback had more of a pronounced country influence than the Gories and their spinoffs...

Didn't Blacktop have '68 Comeback people and Mick? I prefered that Blacktop LP/live to Gories/'68 Comeback/DollRods/Dirtbombs.

Didn't Blacktop have '68 Comeback people and Mick?

Yes, they did, but when I mentioned "Gories spinoffs," I was thinking in terms of the Demolition Dollrods and the Dirtbombs.

• francozola0francozola0 129 Posts
    My Baby says UHH is a classic definetely YAY

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    SOURCED

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

One of my favourite songs by them and this is last year. I will be going!

One of my favourite songs by them and this is last year. I will be going!

thats the Memphis show I worked...it was with the Oblivians. Later that night, long after the show was over, Peg was hurling bottles from the stage, then fell over and knocked herself out(she came to in a less than a minute), it was at this pint I had to start carrying her around to keep her out of trouble...until an friend of hers (who was as drunk as she was) took her and threw her in a cab in a panic because she thought the cops were coming. Wacky night.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    it was at this pint[/b] I had to start carrying her around to keep her out of trouble...

^^^perfect slip of the keys.