Chiwetel Ejiofor is Fela Kuti

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This dude is such a great actor. Fantastic range. Saw him in Four Brothers and had no idea he was actually English.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Can they make a damn movie already?!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah he's an amazing actor for sure.

B/W

Not to draw attention away from Chiwetel, but has anyone seen Sahr Ngaujah's performance as Fela in the Broadway show? Dude murdered it...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Fela is the new Bob Marley

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Songs are too long

b/w

Not enough hooks

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Songs are too long

b/w

Not enough hooks

Hahah... But yeah, Batmon is kind of right. Not that I'm really that mad at it you know, but fuck it shit could be a lot worse.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, Fela is long overdue for some mainstream shine. I mean, has anyone even tried since Arista put out Black President in 1980? That box set Talkin' Loud did in the 90s was too prohibitively expensive to have ever been a serious attempt to bring him to a wider audience.

he wont get the Bob Marley regular folk love, but Ill say more like ....

Fela is the new Lee Perry.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    This movie has to be good. Steve McQueen is the shit. Anyone who saw Hunger should agree.

Im no Fela freak, but is this gonna be like Ali where its one important chapter or is it like Malcolm X where then cover most of dudes life.

Props for gettin a talent young buck on tha comeup.

Props for highlighting Fela who has been hot for a long minute now.

But i'd like to hear from some Fela heads about what one expects. A happy ending Hollywood movie or some connection to the real w/out 'offending' his image.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they are going to play the fela 'nation' vs evil african dictator
    i hope they show his youth and travels,touching on the parent's history and then really focus a lot on the lifestyle within the republic and its musical micro-society

people need to peep music is a weapon for that real schitt

• Options
    Great casting choice. Dude was real good in this small movie called Kinky Boots.

aids?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

But i'd like to hear from some Fela heads about what one expects. A happy ending Hollywood movie or some connection to the real w/out 'offending' his image.

A happy ending would cause me to walk out. How does a life where many of your core bandmates eventually bolt because of abuse and underpayment, where the Nigerian Army continually raids your club and compound and kills your mother, where you die of AIDS (a disease you deny exists)... end happily??

That said I would love if they did go into the AIDS thing. I think they won't. It's touchy.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Great casting choice. Dude was real good in this small movie called Kinky Boots.

Excellent film.

Excellent film.

The good 'ole Blackman goes drag motif?

Excellent film.

No you fucking spanner, the good ol' sexual ambiguity brings out deap-seated fears in working-class folk who end up deciding that the good ol' phrase if you can't beat 'em join 'em will save their jobs, livelihood, and community.

The fact that the tranny happens to be black is, I guess, another taboo for people with narrow minds.

For fuck's sake.

It's also based, loosely, around real events.

Excellent film.

No you fucking spanner, the good ol' sexual ambiguity brings out deap-seated fears in working-class folk who end up deciding that the good ol' phrase if you can't beat 'em join 'em will save their jobs, livelihood, and community.

The fact that the tranny happens to be black is, I guess, another taboo for people with narrow minds.
    For fuck's sake.
    It's also based, loosely, around real events.

Yes. Only at the weekends mind.

I really don't think that in Kinky Boots, the race of the character is that important. Masculinity is. If you're going from the same angle as

then you're clutching at straws. Chiwetel Ejiofor probably got the part because he can sing and looks good in a dress, not because the role demanded a black guy in drag.

That's something else altogether...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    honestly they should do a documentary like the one they made about arab portrayal in hollywood movies

about the black community and it could go on to 2010

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    people need to peep music is a weapon for that real schitt

netflix watch instantly