Boogie Classics

Comments

• Dubious - don't know if this was ever a "big" cut, certainly not rare, but "Don't I Ever Cross Your Mind" by Barbara Mason has been my fucking jam, for a while now

Padlock is not even remotely rare

WTF pays $25 for that

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    WHAT Y'ALL KNOW ABOUT BOOGIE??

Some nice boogie shit on my CD including the track "7th Heaven" from the Padlock LP. Down to my last 15 copies so cop now!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Padlock is not even remotely rare

WTF pays $25 for that

i would since it never shows up here.. maybe you right coast dudes have it made, i dunno. as far it being a one tracker.. pfft. the whole thing is classic.

• Padlock is not even remotely rare

WTF pays $25 for that

i would since it never shows up here.. maybe you right coast dudes have it made, i dunno. as far it being a one tracker.. pfft. the whole thing is classic.

Yo you might be right. I don't recall seeing it much in California, but it's definitely around out here. Finding a clean copy can be tricky, but save the $25 and put it towards a plane ticket. Then you can cop VG play copies of West Ends, Preludes, and Padlocks!

• Padlock is not even remotely rare

WTF pays $25 for that

i found a couple of copies about a year and a half ago, and listed one for like $6.99.........NO BIDS!! And if i remember right, the look count was stupid low as well.

Definately hot one though.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    well boogie music is concurrent with the Loft and more apty the garage. But people in 1982 didnt calle that Garage music they called that shit Boogie.

Actually, the term "boogie" is way more relevant to the period and sound and scene I'm talking about (roughly 1975-1979) than the one you are talking about. The word might have still had some life in it in '82, but it was hardly hip or contemporary at that point. Just do a random sampling of songs with the word "boogie" or in the title in the 70s- underground or mainstream- versus in the 80s to see what I mean.

im not arguing that Roller Boogie / Disco Boogie doesnt exist... but it would be similar to calling certain disco records Hussle Music.

the GENRE of boogie is post disco 1980 - 83.. pretty much evaporates by 84

Garage is more coked out dubby and synthy

More coked-out dub/synthy than the Padlock EP??? Give some examples!

no that is the arctypical garage record. mixed by the dj from the garage and pressed on garage records... hence that sound and others similar to that came to be known as garage records. but thats a much wider sound than strict boogie. i mean magnificent 7, esg, grace jones, stephanie mills, steve silk hurley are all GARAGE records but they don't sound anything like each other.

what i meant by say MORE is in referance to the loft... for the most part alot of the tracks overlap. you could say that Jingo is a Loft record but you could also call it a garage record.. neither is wrong.

something like Timewarp by Eddie Grant is what comes to my mind if somebody was to ask me to play a GARAGE record.. shit is pure high as a kite jammin

To my sensibility, though, you're using this distinction backwards, because the period in which "boogie" was actually hip slang, a hip way to dance, etc. was barely on the cusp of using synthesized instruments if there were any at all. Think a little bit of Moog or Arp and that's it.

well there's people who are gonna tell you that jelly roll morton is boogie... that canned heat is BOOGIE.. john lee hooker is BOOGIE.. the word means differant things in differant circles of peeps.

Boogie as a dance music sub genre is what i described. Roller Disco / Roller Boogie is another sub genre sure thing.

I'll take your word for it on all this, but my thinking is that annoying sub-genre classifications should at least aid shorthand communication about music a little bit, rather than confuse things. My point is that, as a serious fan of disco and it's sub-genres since 8th grade (15 years ago, believe it or not), I actually found "boogie" to be a relatively useful sub-category when I thought it meant what I'm now finding out it doesn't mean. At the same time, if I'm taking your word for it, the term "boogie" has instantly lost most of it's value and currency for me because I know that I can't "boogie" to Taana Gardner's "Heartbeat" any sooner than I can Boogaloo to it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Dubious - don't know if this was ever a "big" cut, certainly not rare, but "Don't I Ever Cross Your Mind" by Barbara Mason has been my fucking jam, for a while now

oh yeah

i always get barbara's Mason and Norris mixed up

the later's It's Heavy / Heavy Hitter =

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

1 tracker, not very raer, just a nice find.

damn, just a one tracker for you?!

• Options

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

Just a one traacker for me, too.

K.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

Alright, Getting Hot is OK but you ain't gonna buy it for that are you. Hopscotch stands out, rest is pretty generic sounding IMO.

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

K.

So, the one track is 7th Heaven, then?

ere no sweat man whatever floats you're boat.. im in complete agreement with the needless sub genres.. like i said if i went into most rock stores and asked for some good boogie they'd give me john lee hooker or canned heat.. in the UK you'd probably get Status Quo.

• Options

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

It's the last track on on of the sides...OI'm at the cottage until tomorrow night, so I can't do no research.

K at Bruce Beach.

K.

Alright, Getting Hot is OK but you ain't gonna buy it for that are you. Hopscotch stands out, rest is pretty generic sounding IMO.

this is a joke post no?

this is a joke post no?

Bollocks, I meant 7th Heaven

• Options

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

It's the last track on on of the sides...OI'm at the cottage until tomorrow night, so I can't do no research.

K at Bruce Beach.

K.

FEmale vocal one, right? That's the joint.

K.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

K at Bruce Beach.

K.

FEmale vocal one, right? That's the joint.

K.

Is THAT a joke post? It's all Gwen Guthrie, and all remixes, which IMO all fall short of the OG mix except for Padlock

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    What are these then? Funk? Disco? Boogie? Modern? Digger Fag Trend Casualties?
    Plaese label individually ("GOOD MUSIC" label not permitted):

Skyy: Skyyline LP
    Rod "Shake It Up"
    Tanaa Gardner: "Heartbeat"
    Delroy Wilson: "I'll Do Anything For You"
    Janet Jackson: Say You Do / You???ll Never Find 12??? A&M
    Rhetta Hughes: Angel Man 12??? Aria
    Denroy Morgan: I???ll Do Anything For You / Inst. 12??? Becket
    Sinnamon: Thanks To You / Inst. 12??? Becket
    Leprechaun: Loc-It-Up / Inst. 12??? Citation
    Vin Zee: Funky Bebop / inst. 12??? Emergency
    Gayle Adams: Love Fever / inst. 12??? Prelude
    Lime: Your Love 12??? Prism
    Sharon Brown: I Specialize in Love / Inst. 12??? Profile
    Gary???s Gang: Knock Me Out / Inst. 12??? Radar
    Lakeside: Your Love Is On The One / I Love Everything You Do 12??? Solar
    Midnight Star: I???ve Been Watching You / Open Up To Love 12??? Solar
    S.O.S. Band: Just Be Good To Me / long 12??? Tabu
    Taana Gardner: Heartbeat 12??? West End
    The Gap Band: Humpin??? / No Hiding Place 12??? (pic sleeve) Mercury UK
    Young & Company: I Like What You???re Doing To Me! LP Brunswick

who's gonna ID/genre check the rest of 'em?

i always thought of "Young and Compnay" i like what you're doing to me as straight disco... i mean, if that's boogie is "shoot me with your love" by tasha thomas boogie, too???

also, what's the genre ID on:

Midnight Star: I???ve Been Watching You / Open Up To Love 12??? Solar

fucking love the A-side, never quite knew how to classify it...

Is this one moder boogie? Neo-boogie? Either way, got more heat than Padlock... 2009 ghey digger trend maybe.

Again, dancing not key due to hi-maintenance hair styles (men and women) just sort of vogueing and stylin

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

i always thought of "Young and Compnay" i like what you're doing to me as straight disco...

that's roller boogie

• How would one classify Yarborough & Peoples "Heartbeats"???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i always thought of "Young and Compnay" i like what you're doing to me as straight disco...

that's roller boogie

can't it fall under both catagories? We need more cross genre marriages

BTW I tried to like that song, but the only part I dig is the part Black sheep sampled

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

that's roller boogie

can't it fall under both catagories? We need more cross genre marriages

BTW I tried to like that song, but the only part I dig is the part Black sheep sampled

yeah homegirl's voice is 'unique'. but i just don't see that one being disco.. not enough strings yahm? but roller-disco-boogie sounds intriguing

roller-disco-boogie sounds intriguing

I'd say that would be Cheri - Murphy's Law

great tune, cheap as chips.

• first 'disco' record ive picked up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    worst thread evar.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    agreed,

heres a song

Khemistry

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    worst thread evar.

Don't think this opinion won't come back to haunt you!

• diggin these lately

Sinnamon - I need you now
    Logg - the whole album is a classic
    Bruni Pagan - Fantasy
    Raw Silk - Just in time
    Superior Movement - Wideshot
    Fonda Rae - over like a fat rat
    The Gents - for you my baby love
    Henderson & Whitfield - dancin to the beat
    Leroy Burgess - Heartbreaker/Stranger (basicly everything this guy ever did)
    Curtis Hairston - Summertime

now lets boogie!

I'd say that would be Cheri - Murphy's Law
    great tune, cheap as chips.

COSIGN