Tanaa Gardner: "Heartbeat" - BOOGIE
    Delroy Wilson: "I'll Do Anything For You" - CAPITOL B BOOGIE
    Rhetta Hughes: Angel Man 12??? Aria - BOOGIE
    Sinnamon: Thanks To You / Inst. 12??? Becket - BOOGIE
    Leprechaun: Loc-It-Up / Inst. 12??? Citation - BOOGIE
    Vin Zee: Funky Bebop / inst. 12??? Emergency - BOOGIE
    Taana Gardner: Heartbeat 12??? West End - BOOGIE
    Young & Company: I Like What You???re Doing To Me! LP Brunswick - BOOGIE

That's pretty much what I thought - that most of those were indeed BOOGIE.

But I was confused because you defined BOOGIE as having "loads of synths, dub mixes, boomy linn drums" and it didn't seem that most of the above BOOGIE tracks have much, if any, of those.

are you joshin me man? one example:

Delroy Wilson: "I'll Do Anything For You" - you don't hear that MASSIVE synth bass stab in there? heavy duty. the cheesey synth refrain after the vocals, and the whole cut is straight up and down locked into the DRUM MACHINE

its not giorgio morodor but there's just as much technology goin down there.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Don't get me wrong - I'm ALL for labels and categories. They help immensely. I did a gig recently and my crates were separated into electro, eurodisco, boogie, disco, hiphop, discopunk, 80s, etc.

yeah this shit is pretty silly.. i may be gettin uppity about definitions but i just throw al lthat shit in one sloppy ass crate and call it DANCE MUSIC

yeah thats the one. I'll just let the MP3 speak for itself then./quote]

word i wanna peep that again...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    See, under my definition of steppers, I would consider Donna McGhee's "It Ain't No Big Thing" a steppers track. This can't be right.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    But I was confused because you defined BOOGIE as having "loads of synths, dub mixes, boomy linn drums" and it didn't seem that most of the above BOOGIE tracks have much, if any, of those.

are you joshin me man? one example:

Delroy Wilson: "I'll Do Anything For You" - you don't hear that MASSIVE synth bass stab in there? heavy duty. the cheesey synth refrain after the vocals, and the whole cut is straight up and down locked into the DRUM MACHINE

its not giorgio morodor but there's just as much technology goin down there.

Yep I hear the synths but for a lot of the tracks I listed, they've got some pretty live instrumentation even if the beat is fairly locked in and there are synth accents here and there.

I guess when I read "loads of synths, dub mixes, boomy linn drums" what came to mind was a more late 80s Pebbles "Girlfriend" (almost completely synthetic) sound instead of early 80s Tanaa Gardner (mostly live) sound.

• What are the boogie tracks you do not leave home without?
    michael sterling - desperate

This is a tops jam!! That intro sucks though huh??

nice selection.

lately for me...

Salsoul Orch feat Loleatta Holloway "Seconds" (Shep Pettibone Club Version)
    Don Ray "My Desire" / "Body & Soul"
    Roberta Flack "Lovin' You (Is An Easy Thing To Do)
    Northend "Happy Days"
    Jimmy Ross "Fall Into A Trance"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Denroy Morgan

I though HI-NRG was gay music?

well up until recently most people would probably say the same thing about disco too.

Hi-Nrg is the next Italo.

i don't want to let the cat out of the bag but flip the switch on that shit... 45 to 33rpm and shit is basically just nice dubbed out electro disco for the most part.

i play a shit load of hi-nrg at minus 8.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Digger Fag Trend Casualties

Don't become a victim

I guess when I read "loads of synths, dub mixes, boomy linn drums" what came to mind was a more late 80s Pebbles "Girlfriend" (almost completely synthetic) sound instead of early 80s Tanaa Gardner (mostly live) sound.

word .. its a differant type of electronic element. technically boogie didnt last all that long and was quickly replaced by freestyle and the nascent house groove.

• Options
    No classics, but

They'll Never Stop - Casual T (Rita MArley Recordings)
    Are You Lonely - Hypnotic
    Ohh Wee - Ron Richardson
    All I Want - Curtis Hairston

....K.

more big ones:

Shades Of Joy - Keep in Touch (Body To Body)
    Fantastic Aleems - Get Down Friday Night
    Class Action - Weekend
    Convertion - Let's Do It
    Jammers - And You No That
    Chaz - We Want To Rock You
    BBS&E - Rock Shock
    Paul Simpson Connection - Treat Me (Dubmental mix)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I though HI-NRG was gay music?

well up until recently most people would probably say the same thing about disco too.

Hi-Nrg is the next Italo.

i don't want to let the cat out of the bag but flip the switch on that shit... 45 to 33rpm and shit is basically just nice dubbed out electro disco for the most part.

i play a shit load of hi-nrg at minus 8.

But really all dance music is basically gay music... Disco, HI-NRG, Euro, House, etc... It all has its roots in that community and first is a hit or made a classic there.

So, whatever...

Someone post me The #1 boogie classic of all time. I need to know!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    What are the boogie tracks you do not leave home without?
    michael sterling - desperate

This is a tops jam!! That intro sucks though huh??

no doubt, sirens make for difficult mixing.

• Price check? I read on some site that is is one of the rarest and most sought after Levan remix projects, but most info by same writer seemed a little suspect (read: writer's personal opinion) I came across a copy a few weeks ago, Padlock rmx is too hot.

I don't know, I just sold a sealed copy for like $24 if I remember right. I was hoping to get around $40. It it was really that rare and sought after I'm sure it would go for more.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    No classics, but

Ohh Wee - Ron Richardson

....K.

Ouch, taking it there. Speaking of which that whole Disco Strut series is FIRE, check the best of CD for some raer boogie HEAT.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Price check? I read on some site that is is one of the rarest and most sought after Levan remix projects, but most info by same writer seemed a little suspect (read: writer's personal opinion) I came across a copy a few weeks ago, Padlock rmx is too hot.

I don't know, I just sold a sealed copy for like $24 if I remember right. I was hoping to get around $40. It it was really that rare and sought after I'm sure it would go for more.

did you just sell it? European holiday is hurting the disco/boogie market a whole lot

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Price check? I read on some site that is is one of the rarest and most sought after Levan remix projects, but most info by same writer seemed a little suspect (read: writer's personal opinion) I came across a copy a few weeks ago, Padlock rmx is too hot.

did you just sell it? European holiday is hurting the disco/boogie market a whole lot

i've got 40$ if you ever come up again.

• Options
    No classics, but

Ohh Wee - Ron Richardson

....K.

Ouch, taking it there. Speaking of which that whole Disco Strut series is FIRE, check the best of CD for some raer boogie HEAT.

That Casual T (they included "HAnds Off") and Curtis Hairston aren't on there to my knowledge. Those are all OG 12's above (and one OG LP(Casual T)).

K in Canada.

• Options

i've got 40$ if you ever come up again.

Phone Cosmos, i think Aki has multiples of that. it's not thaat raer.

K.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Did you notice that about half the tracks on that Disco Strut 2-CD Comp were in mono? I was really disappointed with that.

SG

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    No classics, but

Ohh Wee - Ron Richardson

....K.

That Casual T (they included "HAnds Off") and Curtis Hairston aren't on there to my knowledge. Those are all OG 12's above (and one OG LP(Casual T)).

K in Canada.

You've got some nice records there in that case, mang.

And you are right that the CT and CH are absent, but to those who are interested in the genre, picking up that double disc is a must.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    well boogie music is concurrent with the Loft and more apty the garage. But people in 1982 didnt calle that Garage music they called that shit Boogie.

Actually, the term "boogie" is way more relevant to the period and sound and scene I'm talking about (roughly 1975-1979) than the one you are talking about. The word might have still had some life in it in '82, but it was hardly hip or contemporary at that point. Just do a random sampling of songs with the word "boogie" or in the title in the 70s- underground or mainstream- versus in the 80s to see what I mean.

Garage is more coked out dubby and synthy

More coked-out dub/synthy than the Padlock EP??? Give some examples!

that's really the main distinction for me is the level of synth / dru mmachines and studio dub techniques involved.

To my sensibility, though, you're using this distinction backwards, because the period in which "boogie" was actually hip slang, a hip way to dance, etc. was barely on the cusp of using synthesized instruments if there were any at all. Think a little bit of Moog or Arp and that's it.

K.

word

i pulled a bonus copy from kops for $5 just last year... and i passed on a couple at henry's one time too.

there's the island pressing and the orginal Garage pressing.. so im sure of the two the later is more valuable.

• Options
    No classics, but

Ohh Wee - Ron Richardson

....K.

K in Canada.

You've got some nice records there in that case, mang.

And you are right that the CT and CH are absent, but to those who are interested in the genre, picking up that double disc is a must.

Yeah man. Killer stuff...wasn't too impressed with the last one, though (despite it's boogier accentuation). I must complain to the compiler.

K.

• Options

K.

word

i pulled a bonus copy from kops for $5 just last year... and i passed on a couple at henry's one time too.

there's the island pressing and the orginal Garage pressing.. so im sure of the two the later is more valuable.

It always shows up at collection at HEnry's because of it's SLy and Robbie-ness.

K.

well boogie music is concurrent with the Loft and more apty the garage. But people in 1982 didnt calle that Garage music they called that shit Boogie.

Actually, the term "boogie" is way more relevant to the period and sound and scene I'm talking about (roughly 1975-1979) than the one you are talking about. The word might have still had some life in it in '82, but it was hardly hip or contemporary at that point. Just do a random sampling of songs with the word "boogie" or in the title in the 70s- underground or mainstream- versus in the 80s to see what I mean.

im not arguing that Roller Boogie / Disco Boogie doesnt exist... but it would be similar to calling certain disco records Hussle Music.

the GENRE of boogie is post disco 1980 - 83.. pretty much evaporates by 84

Garage is more coked out dubby and synthy

More coked-out dub/synthy than the Padlock EP??? Give some examples!
    no that is the arctypical garage record. mixed by the dj from the garage and pressed on garage records... hence that sound and others similar to that came to be known as garage records. but thats a much wider sound than strict boogie. i mean magnificent 7, esg, grace jones, stephanie mills, steve silk hurley are all GARAGE records but they don't sound anything like each other.

what i meant by say MORE is in referance to the loft... for the most part alot of the tracks overlap. you could say that Jingo is a Loft record but you could also call it a garage record.. neither is wrong.

something like Timewarp by Eddie Grant is what comes to my mind if somebody was to ask me to play a GARAGE record.. shit is pure high as a kite jammin

To my sensibility, though, you're using this distinction backwards, because the period in which "boogie" was actually hip slang, a hip way to dance, etc. was barely on the cusp of using synthesized instruments if there were any at all. Think a little bit of Moog or Arp and that's it.

well there's people who are gonna tell you that jelly roll morton is boogie... that canned heat is BOOGIE.. john lee hooker is BOOGIE.. the word means differant things in differant circles of peeps.

Boogie as a dance music sub genre is what i described. Roller Disco / Roller Boogie is another sub genre sure thing.

It always shows up at collection at HEnry's because of it's SLy and Robbie-ness.

word

i need to trek out there one of these days.. been awhile

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Who the fuck is this guy? Do you think I'd start a thread without having my shit in check?

Scram, kid.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

it's not thaat raer.

K.

word

1 tracker, not very raer, just a nice find.