Carolina soul music book?

pabloscooterpabloscooter 370 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Anyone know of any books that cover the soul music scene in the Carolinas?I remember an old thread where maybe Soulmarcossa recommended one, but can't find the thread.The only one I can find is called "heeey baby" but I don't think it was that one.Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Yeah, The Heeey Baby Days of Beach Music was the one Marco was talking about. That book focuses mostly on the beach-music/shag scene, though, which is a whole other thing. You should hit up Jason Perlmutter (erstwhile soulstrutter "jperlmu") over at the Carolina Soul site.

• Thanks james.

Beach scene is cool enough in my book, although I can imagine most strutters wouldn't get too close to the stuff.

And that book looks a little coffee table like, I was hoping for more of a straight forward read, but I'll give it a try anyways.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You should hit up Jason Perlmutter (erstwhile soulstrutter "jperlmu") over at the Carolina Soul site.

JP's on a one-man mission to document the whole scene/era as thoroughly as possible, and he's discovered loads of records/info that were almost unknown before.

He has basically already done what I dreamed about doing 10 years ago...

But yeah, as far as NC/SC funk writings his site and the book of his comp are all there is, and most of the soul coverage elsewhere will be beach-oriented.