Who's selling this?

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I know it's one of you guys by the description. It's the first time I've ever seen it on le Bay.
One of my favorite records of all time -- all killer instro funk jazz thing w/ braeks for days[/b]
http://cgi.ebay.com/RONN-FORELLA-Moves-H...=item5d28e708ec

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    rehash heads

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    soulstrut poster "breadwinner" is selling this through consignment with soulstrut poster "peinti".

the last part of the auction description was taken from rehashmedia.com.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

One of the gayest record covers of all time -- all killer instro funk jazz thing w/ braeks for days[/b]

Hoctor stuff has been goin kinda nuts lately. Had no idea you could get 2+ bills.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    rehash heads

Ahhh, that makes sense ( ). I've never seen it up before so I had no idea what it went for.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    The rehash dipshits aren't selling this copy...they grip male leotard covers hard and never ungrip.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'm gonna guess $500 then about a half dozen to follow in the coming months.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Exaaaactly

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Exaaaactly

What's funny is that Josh B, Cool Chris and I were talking about this LP about two years ago and Chris was saying something along the lines of, "if the cover looked more like some private press jazz funk LP, this thing would be going for 200 pounds, easy." Looks like it's headed there regardless.

For my money, this is still one of the Top 3 dance label titles out there. I wouldn't have paid more than a $100 for it though.

• doomdoom 305 Posts

dood.. i remember that thread. i pm'd that guy instantly and he had allready given it away for free to his homie. nice friend i thought.

raaer shit, but theres atleast 10 strutters with this record that i know of. shhhh.

that covers not that gay...am i gay if i think the covers pretty cool?

how rare is this joint? is it easier to find in any particular part of the country? good listen all the way thru?

that covers not that gay...am i gay if i think the covers pretty cool?

how rare is this joint? is it easier to find in any particular part of the country? good listen all the way thru?

From my experience with Hoctor titles, it's one of the rarest. It's a two-tracker but both songs have long breaks (and pretty good ones at that) and electronic piano. I thought I had 'em digitized but I'll have to look again.

Personally, I don't think it's as good as Jazz in Focus (another Hoctor title, possibly equally rare, which I traded out for $100 only to see sold for almost 4x that. Blew my mind).

• doomdoom 305 Posts

From my experience with Hoctor titles, it's one of the rarest. It's a two-tracker but both songs have long breaks (and pretty good ones at that) and electronic piano. I thought I had 'em digitized but I'll have to look again.

Personally, I don't think it's as good as Jazz in Focus (another Hoctor title, possibly equally rare, which I traded out for $100 only to see sold for almost 4x that. Blew my mind).

those are the best ones that ive heard aswell, but i like moves better. forella doesnt kid with his drums. from a beatdigger perspective its a holy grail. pretty much all the tracks have one break or more. and most of the breaks are real bangers. i could drop alot more on it than 100...

im guessing its those two tracks that the ebay auctions had clips to. both very nice. not 300 dollar nice, but its definitely on my radar

jazz in focus...i must be disconnected from the world of modern dance.dont know that either. is it fuckin with Jeremie??

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've come to realize that no matter how long the breaks are or how many of them there are, these joints are pretty much the same snares, kicks, etc. Since I got my first Hoctor record, Luigi: Jazz Class, 7 yrs ago I've had close to 20 different ones. The only one that sounded a bit different was Jazz Class with Bob Audy. It actually has some rimshot type snares and is still one of my favorites. I usually find the Hoctor records at thrift shops for $1. I did dish out $50 for a Luigi once a few yrs ago and was pretty disappointed. The breaks were short, 1-2 bars, and they sounded similar to the others. It seems that these are just trophy records. I say if you buy one for actually sample use; get it, sample it, then flip it. You ain't rockin no parties with the the help Hoctor.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    I say if you buy one for actually sample use; get it, sample it, then flip it. You ain't rockin no parties with the the help Hoctor.

wait til you've heard all the breaks... alot of bangers is all i can say. ive used those rimshots you mention aswell and had alot of hoctor records. this is not the same level as the rest.

but then again, i woul probably end up flipping it aswell.

I say if you buy one for actually sample use; get it, sample it, then flip it. You ain't rockin no parties with the the help Hoctor.

wait til you've heard all the breaks... alot of bangers is all i can say. ive used those rimshots you mention aswell and had alot of hoctor records. this is not the same level as the rest.

a true braek bukkake!

But in 2010 Craig Kupka gets more spins

:takethatshittoweirdrecordsthatsuck.com!!!:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Oh, I totally feel you!! But, I'll be happy just sampling from the posted sound clip. Plus, it's not the record, it's what you do with the record.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    im guessing its those two tracks that the ebay auctions had clips to. both very nice. not 300 dollar nice, but its definitely on my radar

jazz in focus...i must be disconnected from the world of modern dance.dont know that either. is it fuckin with Jeremie??

Yes. Both of those Hoctor records are better than Jeremie IMO. I've found 2 copies of Jazz in Focus out here and copped Moves from someone in this thread years ago after hearing it on a mix. Shit blew my mind the first time I heard it. Definitely the raerest joints on the label.

I wanna know what's up with this though? Has anybody heard it?

• doomdoom 305 Posts

day reordmania just sold that one, i think the soundclips should be on their website still. they keep "out of stock" items in their database.

those are the best ones that ive heard aswell, but i like moves better. forella doesnt kid with his drums. from a beatdigger perspective its a holy grail. pretty much all the tracks have one break or more. and most of the breaks are real bangers. i could drop alot more on it than 100...

I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to go pull it off the shelves but I don't remember it having breaks on every song; maybe smaller ones? I distinctly think of this as a two-tracker. In comparison, I thought "Jazz in Focus" had a better selection of songs overall though I can see why "Moves" is regarded better. The drums on there are pretty ridiculous even if, as Breez notes, they sound like a lot of the Hoctor drums in general.

azz in focus...i must be disconnected from the world of modern dance.dont know that either.

Check popsike; it should be up there. Another Hoctor title.

As for Jazz on the Road - a more common Hoctor title though I just saw that it's commanding $300 (ridiculous IMO, but whatever). It's ok - a lot of disco-era joints on there. Better for loops than drums. In terms of musicality, I prefer Byron Peterson's "Jazz Rock USA" (also on Hoctor).

Maybe Spelunk or someone else can drop some knowledge here but Hoctor's been a "known" label for years now. Why the seemingly sudden upswing? Did Euroman just discover this? I assumed they would have been up on Hoctor titles already?

dudn't Azz Road have Cissy Strut & Gold Coast?

Never found that one.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Gold Coast was available on the "Jazz In The Sun" record, another decent and scarce title that is going for batshit insane amounts of money.

dudn't Azz Road have Cissy Strut & Gold Coast?

Never found that one.

I haven't seen the Hoctor LP with "Cissy Strut" on it yet. It may very well be out there but certainly the 7" version is easy enough to come by. I think "Gold Coast" is on a different LP, not "Jazz on the Road" though.

Gold Coast was available on the "Jazz In The Sun" record, another decent and scarce title that is going for batshit insane amounts of money.

Word - that sounds right. That's the Nilo Toledo title, I think.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Word - that sounds right. That's the Nilo Toledo title, I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110528245787&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For real - how is that selling for more than $30?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I sold this for $100 some 3-4 years ago ($1 at the San Jose flea market FTW) and thought I was pulling a caper for the ages. That shit is seriously tepid...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This seems to be where it all started.

Hoctor's Dance Caravan, established in 1959 by Danny and Betty Hoctor, continues to bring the finest teachers, performers and choreographers to dance teachers and students all over the world and is the leader in introducing the most up-to-date and latest trends, technique and dance material for the dance profession