Ask Shig

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Dude, I need some K-town grub spots that aren't soon tofu or galbi bbq.

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Dino's chicken $4 buck cluck. Get familiar with los PLayboys!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Find yourself a spot that does dakgalbi up proper.

• Find yourself a spot that does dakgalbi up proper.

co-sign

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hi Oliver!

Western Doma Noodle
    429 N Western Ave Ste 10
    Los Angeles, CA 90004
    (323) 871-1955

• Options

this looks like a hot pan of chicken dinks. No hatt, I'd eat it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

this looks like a hot pan of chicken dinks. No hatt, I'd eat it.

Well I'm not sure if you're looking at the chicken or the rice cakes. But shit is great! A personal fav while in Korea.

You're in Toronto right? Joons in Ktown does it pretty right.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I have a jar of "shrimp chili sauce" from the Asian super-store in Richmond. It has hundreds of tiny little shrimps suspended in soybean oil with red peppers. Is there any specific application for this? I was just going to throw a couple tablespoons in my next stir fry, just to see what it do.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I have a jar of "shrimp chili sauce" from the Asian super-store in Richmond. It has hundreds of tiny little shrimps suspended in soybean oil with red peppers. Is there any specific application for this? I was just going to throw a couple tablespoons in my next stir fry, just to see what it do.

some sort of umami-bomb.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

some sort of umami-bomb.

Yeah, I liked that potential for such an item. The Asian culinary reallm has umami on lock, no question.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    yo odub!

i was at my students' screening for the asian film fest thing and i saw they quoted you hella big for some movie. awesome dude!

anyways, i think that doma noodle is now called madang gook soo. if not then let me recommend madang gook soo. western and james wood. its korean handmade noodles. super delicious. their ban chan is a lil rank tho. one time i had their pickled daikon and it was so cured it was a blackish grey. tasted like poison. theres also a spot right behind there in the same mall that does the ginseng chicken stew right proper.

i forget the name but on sixth and like shatto theres a mini mall and the one spot does a bomb nam yeung (cold buckwheat noodle).

theres a stewed fish spot on 8th but ive only been there once. i need to ask my peoples bout it.

speaking of stew, the minimall on 6th and kenmore has the bomb chigae. seriously, super rich and awesome. cant tell u the name but its in the armpit of that minimall.

korean shabu shabu spot on olympic and i think alvarado. hey, its not bbq, but i cant say it was mindblowing or anything. im not a shabu shabu fan, btw.

as for non-korean:

i think i already hipped u to dinos like the one dude said. its the spot with the greasy ass spicy chicken and fries thing. its pretty awesome. i consider this pico union area tho.

i always recommend guelaguetza. the one on 8th and irolo. its all about the mole but you should try the oaxacan horchata. its like a oatmeal smoothie with pink shit in it. delicious. there are also eloteros around there and they rock that shit central american stylee. grilled.

guatemalteca is a small bakery which is dope. beverly and kenmore. the thing to get here is the take-away chorizo. seriously, if u get invited to a bbq, get that sausage. made fresh daily. how do i know? cuz it has fresh herbs in it that would turn in a day.

oh yeah, theres also a cold plate spot on vermont and 7th. kobawoo. i dont know whats it called but its like a big plate of korean cold cuts and odd vittles. pretty good!

this that chigae spot on 6th and kenmore. one of my favorites in ktown.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chunju-han-il-kwan-los-angeles