Lee Morgan Appreciation

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Hey,I just noted in another thread that, to me, Lee Morgan doesn't seem to get the love of other legendary trumpet players (e.g., Clifford Brown, Miles, Dizzy, Hubbard, Byrd, etc.). Well, I want to change that (to some extent) and give this incredible musician the love he rightly deserves. Here's one of my favorite tracks (an absolutely beautiful, samba-induced ballad) by the man, the late and great Lee Morgan.

Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i think lee morgan was pretty much one of the hottest and most competitive trumpet players around at the time and that he got serious respect from other players and audiences (i gather this from reading downbeat and interviews with dudes like freddie hubbard who idolized lee) but that over time (perhaps since he died so young) his stock has diminished.

to me he is def. one of the g.o.a.t.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    How's this for Lee Morgan Appreciation?

well intentioned but CORNY!! reminded me of this:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

wack as hell

lee morgan deserves better

I just noted in another thread that, to me, Lee Morgan doesn't seem to get the love of other legendary trumpet players (e.g., Clifford Brown, Miles, Dizzy, Hubbard, Byrd, etc.).

I really don't think this is true.

At least not amongst jazz heads.

He may get less props amongst, like, breaks.com type dudes, probably because he died before getting too far into the sell-out schitt that some of the above dudes got caught up in during the late sixties and seventies.

He may get less props amongst, like, breaks.com type dudes, probably because he died before getting too far into the sell-out schitt that some of the above dudes got caught up in during the late sixties and seventies.

i think that is inaccurate. jazz purists and critics generally started turning on him when he entered his soul-jazz period with hits like the side-winder. alot of people consider that sellout, pandering shit...

as if the 70's output of doanld byrd or freddie hubbard (the cti stuff) is some complete sellout schlock. those albums were commercial but contain so much brilliance.

i think that is inaccurate. jazz purists and critics generally started turning on him when he entered his soul-jazz period with hits like the side-winder. alot of people consider that sellout, pandering shit...

as if the 70's output of doanld byrd or freddie hubbard (the cti stuff) is some complete sellout schlock. those albums were commercial but contain so much brilliance.

There may have been a contemporary backlash against dancefloor stuff like Sidewinder, but 40+ years later, who's not rating really important post-Sidewinder compositional works like Search for the New Land? And, really, how far is his soul jazz of that era from the Jazz Messengers material? Art Blakey's explicit goal was the repopularizing of jazz. I just don't know anybody who checks for jazz--from critics, to radio show hosts, to civilians--who's not rating him as one of the greats.

I give credit to Byrd for trying some interesting things in his early ventures towards popular music, but I don't think most of those projects--like Electric Byrd--really work. The only one I rate is the later Places and Spaces--which is brilliant--but doesn't have much Byrd left on it. It's really a total Mizell Brothers project.

The Hubbard CTI schitt is pretty hard to defend. Red Clay is listenable, but still pretty slick and uninteresting.

lee's style as a leader was way more straight than art blakey's although obviously not unrelated.

you make some valid points about byrd but "red clay" is hands down one of the greatest jazz albums of any period ever. the band is insane and freddie is playing at the top of his powers and composing like a motherfucker.

• I just noted in another thread that, to me, Lee Morgan doesn't seem to get the love of other legendary trumpet players (e.g., Clifford Brown, Miles, Dizzy, Hubbard, Byrd, etc.).

I think this is true.

As for albums and tunes of his I rate, I would go for:

"Suicide City" and "Cunning Lee" from this are just right. Can't find either on YouTube, unfortunately.

Also, there is a great live version of "Angela" from "The Last Session" album with acoustic rather than electric piano which I really rate, but can't remember where this is from...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Vol 3 is one of the greatest late bop jazz Lps period.

Playing, writing, arranging (thanks Benny Golson!) are all unsurpassed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i was very seriously into jazz trumpet through college -- lee morgan was my favorite stylist. huge fan. cornbread is my favorite record. the rajah is a rare & worthwhile one too. I also love early stuff like 'candy,' ive memorized his 'moanin' solo note for note, and he also had a killer solo on dizzy's 'a night in tunisia'

• soulcitizensoulcitizen 304 Posts

Lee Morgan really had a different sound to the other BN players, like Freddie Hubbard had that warm open tone often on the Flugelhorn ('Olilioqui Valley') whereas Lee had a much sharper and more direct tone, there's a definite difference and outcome on the sessions that they played on around the mid-sixties creating a different emotion. 'Edda' was the first track that really blew me away and still does from his output, they were doing different things in the same arena, both great players.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i really tend to prefer a larger/more open tone in trumpet players, like fats or clifford, but it was lee's melodic styles that stick with u -- dude was incapable of playing a corny melody -- all his shit was slick & on point

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I like him on Blue Train; don't really dig his more soul jazz stuff.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

i pretty much ride for his entire catalog as a band leader and a player, i can not recal anything of his i actually dislike, there is some stuff that i can take or leave.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    "Live at the Lighthouse" is killer. My fave Lee set and one of the best live jazz recordings full stop.

Lee had a much sharper and more direct tone

Yes. I think it suited bop moreso than the "Soulful" sets, but it doesn't mean the soul-jazz is finger-crucifix. I'd say the same of Miles too.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

I just noted in another thread that, to me, Lee Morgan doesn't seem to get the love of other legendary trumpet players (e.g., Clifford Brown, Miles, Dizzy, Hubbard, Byrd, etc.).

^this^ is truth

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

The Hubbard CTI schitt is pretty hard to defend. Red Clay is listenable, but still pretty slick and uninteresting.

^this^ on the other hand is not true. You don't have to like it, but there is no way a song like "Intrepid Fox" isn't 'interesting'

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I ride!

• Definitely one of my favourites. Never a wack verse son. To me it goes Clifford Brown > Lee Morgan > Freddie Hubbard > a bunch of dudes like Blue Mitchell and Kenny Dorham > Donald Byrd, who let's face it most of "his" current fans never would've heard of if it wasn't for the Mizell Brothers.

Louis > Miles > Diz > Clifford Brown > Lee Morgan

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Donald Byrd, who let's face it most of "his" current fans never would've heard of if it wasn't for the Mizell Brothers Blackbyrds.

Kenny Dorham > Clifford Brown > Lee Morgan > Al Hirt > Chuck Mangione > Miles

You only have KD first because he's from Texas.

You only have KD first because he's from Texas.

Somewhat, but I was digging his tone long before I realized he was from here.

• Kenny Dorham is underrated

b/w

Who will flip him the hardest?

^this^ on the other hand is not true. You don't have to like it, but there is no way a song like "Intrepid Fox" isn't 'interesting'

^^^^JAMS OUT TO POLAR AC

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    What about Charles Tolliver? Although a little bit later than the other cats mentioned but I think he's an underrated player.