Mary J Blige - "Dub Reggae" song?

fredwagnerfredwagner 7 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Hi, I'm trying to find (I think) a Mary J. Blige song that I don't think is older than a year or two. It sounds almost like they took an Augustus Pablo or King Tubby song, whole-cloth, and made it the backing track. (Mid-tempo Dub feel with lots of little spring reverb effects, etc...)It got a fair amount of play here in Houston around a year ago, but I can't remember any lyrics to track it down. I tried Youtube, and for some reason I can't manage to search this forum successfully -- but I thought maybe someone knew right off the top of their head.Thanks!!!rs

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jazmine Sullivan - Need You Bad
    Dub of Queen of the Minstrels

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    great song! both of them!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    There was an EP of reggae remixes of Mary tunes that was around a few years ago done by DJ Soul (who posts here sometimes, I think). It came and went pretty quickly, but it's possible the song you heard was from that EP. If someone knows which one I mean, perhaps they can chime in?

• Thanks all. I was pretty sure it was not any kind of a remix, given the "album-oriented" nature of the station (Majic 102).

It's the Jazmine Sullivan song -- thanks kindly! You folks know a lot.

rs

• There was an EP of reggae remixes of Mary tunes that was around a few years ago done by DJ Soul (who posts here sometimes, I think). It came and went pretty quickly, but it's possible the song you heard was from that EP. If someone knows which one I mean, perhaps they can chime in?

Soul did a remix of "Be With You" over the Queen of the Minstrel riddim, specific the version that Sizzla voiced "Just One Of Those Days" over.

It's one of the few reggae remixes that I play that I didn't make.

There was an EP of reggae remixes of Mary tunes that was around a few years ago done by DJ Soul (who posts here sometimes, I think). It came and went pretty quickly, but it's possible the song you heard was from that EP. If someone knows which one I mean, perhaps they can chime in?

Soul did a remix of "Be With You" over the Queen of the Minstrel riddim, specific the version that Sizzla voiced "Just One Of Those Days" over.

It's one of the few reggae remixes that I play that I didn't make.

"Be Without You"..?

Yeah, that's the shit. I could never find a copy of it over here.

• With you, without you...we quibble over terms.

Nah, that's another U2 song - she didn't do that one.