Chop

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Mr ChopFeelin' it, or meh?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Mr Chop

Feelin' it, or meh?

NOT feelin' it at all. What is the point of messing with a classic?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I think the Straighten' It Out is ok, and could imagine getting some use from the instrumental, but not seeing any merit in the TROY myself.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    really feeling straighten it out. just feels right to me. copped one, i can imagine it would sound doper pitched down.

troy wasnt my cup of tea, felt forced to me, and pretty safe from mr chops perspective. he could have gone crazy with that melody... i think tho, that if he would have played that horn part with a ms-20, mellotron or something instead. i would probably love it.

I think the Straighten' It Out is ok, and could imagine getting some use from the instrumental, but not seeing any merit in the TROY myself.

The straighten it out is terrible! You really think this is good? Just listen to the original Pete Rock version or just rock the Ernie Hines joint!!!!!!

The straighten it out is terrible! You really think this is good? Just listen to the original Pete Rock version or just rock the Ernie Hines joint!!!!!!

Uhmm, without re-starting old arguments ( ), I think the sounds that Mr Chop has given to the re-work/cover of Straighten It Out are perhaps more suited to ears this side of the pond... you know, over here there are whole genres based around weird, electronic bass farts. To me he's done a good job (or it sounds 'right' as Doom says) of blending old samples with newer effects - this almost sounds like Nino Nardini is jamming with Ernie Hines.

To my ears at least.

What is the point of messing with a classic?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Mr Chop

Feelin' it, or meh?

1st rule of hiphop: dont follow any rules.

Uhmm, without re-starting old arguments ( ), I think the sounds that Mr Chop has given to the re-work/cover of Straighten It Out are perhaps more suited to ears this side of the pond... you know, over here there are whole genres based around weird, electronic bass farts. To me he's done a good job (or it sounds 'right' as Doom says) of blending old samples with newer effects - this almost sounds like Nino Nardini is jamming with Ernie Hines.

To my ears at least.

LOL! Ok. I get it. I'm over here in the states so I don't get your whole new genres. You are on some comedy! I am just not feelin' it. I enjoy a lot of edits that UK DJs/Producers have done. I included some below. Doing edits of Pete Rock joints that are samples to begin with just seems pointless and I did not see any merit in playing these. Please save me the whole "You are across the pond and don't get what we are doing over here" argument because that is just stupid. You can keep these Chop edit/re-works over there.

I am feelin' these UK edits....

Mr Chop

Feelin' it, or meh?

Did you pull that out of your backpack? LOL!

• height="385">

This edit is also crazy nice.......

agree with you on that ashford and simpson edit... i played that a lot when it came out.

i can't find a clip online, but another edit worth checking out which is on the same tip is the keep schtum edit of odyssey's "hang together".

Uhmm, without re-starting old arguments ( ), I think the sounds that Mr Chop has given to the re-work/cover of Straighten It Out are perhaps[/b] more suited to ears this side of the pond... you know, over here there are whole genres based around weird, electronic bass farts. To me he's done a good job (or it sounds 'right' as Doom says) of blending old samples with newer effects - this almost sounds like Nino Nardini is jamming with Ernie Hines.

To my ears at least.

I'm over here in the states so I don't get your whole new genres. You are on some comedy! I am just not feelin' it. I enjoy a lot of edits that UK DJs/Producers have done. I included some below. Doing edits of Pete Rock joints that are samples to begin with just seems pointless and I did not see any merit in playing these. Please save me the whole "You are across the pond and don't get what we are doing over here" argument because that is just stupid. You can keep these Chop edit/re-works over there.

Was just a guess, based on what I like about that re-work, which is the buzzing bass-farts & electronic FX. I'm not trying to convinve you that you're not-on-the-right-level or anything, and your sentiments cover how I feel about the TROY - no point when the OG is so much stronger.

height="385">

This edit is also crazy nice.......

agree with you on that ashford and simpson edit...

Nice. Sounds like the guy is singing "busta rhymes" at the beginning that can't be right?

Feelin' it!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    i like mr chop. i kinda understand vaguely where chan is coming from on the hip hop cover version albums, NAGL argument. But i think this one is entertaining.

lightworlds, on the other hand, is sick.

http://www.discogs.com/Mr-Chop-Lightworlds/master/114628

• i like mr chop. i kinda understand vaguely where chan is coming from on the hip hop cover version albums, NAGL argument. But i think this one is entertaining.

jeeeez, the stones throw knob-jockying never ends, does it....?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Duder and BeatNick to speak on exactly what subgenre the track represents.

On listening, it seems clear there are traces of High Street Honey House, Brap and Dorkstep. Trumpton Beat maybe?

On listening, it seems clear there are traces of High Street Honey House, Brap and Dorkstep. Trumpton Beat maybe?

LOL! It seems like ever couple of weeks there is a new genre of electronic, dub,house, club, whatever in the UK. I can't keep track and have no idea what most of the genres are. The Chop EP that was recommended in this thread was listed as the following:

Genre:
    Electronic, Funk / Soul, Hip Hop, Jazz
    Style:
    Trip Hop

I think that is just too much going on for me! LOL. Is the term "Trip-Hop" still used? Are people still doing "Trip=Hop" music? I still have no idea what that really means.

i like mr chop. i kinda understand vaguely where chan is coming from on the hip hop cover version albums, NAGL argument. But i think this one is entertaining.

jeeeez, the stones throw knob-jockying never ends, does it....?

Chop's been around long before his relationship with now-again dude. i happened to choose that release because its one of the best ones. if you want i'll recommend one of his other 7"s instead.

http://www.discogs.com/Mr-Chop-Electric-Vibes-Breakdown/release/550783

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

LOL! It seems like ever couple of weeks there is a new genre of electronic, dub,house, club, whatever in the UK. I can't keep track and have no idea what most of the genres are. The Chop EP that was recommended in this thread was listed as the following:

Genre:
    Electronic, Funk / Soul, Hip Hop, Jazz
    Style:
    Trip Hop

I think that is just too much going on for me! LOL. Is the term "Trip-Hop" still used? Are people still doing "Trip=Hop" music? I still have no idea what that really means.

Here you go Chan

This is a list of electronic music genres, sub-genres and styles.

Ambient
    Ambient house
    Ambient techno
    Dark ambient
    Drone music
    Psybient
    Breakbeat
    Baltimore Club
    Big beat
    Broken beat
    Florida breaks
    Nu skool breaks
    Progressive breaks
    Rap
    Disco
    Cosmic disco
    Eurodance
    Euro disco
    Hi-NRG
    Italo dance
    Italo disco
    Nu-disco
    Downtempo
    Acid jazz
    Balearic Beat
    Chill out
    Dub music
    Ethnic electronica
    Glitch
    Illbient
    New Age music
    Nu jazz
    Trip hop
    Electronic music
    Berlin School
    Electroacoustic
    Electro
    Electro backbeat
    Electro-hop
    Electro-grime
    Freestyle music
    Electronica
    Electropop
    Folktronica
    Glitch
    IDM
    Nu Jazz
    Post-disco
    Trip hop
    (UK) Garage (UKG)
    2-step
    4x4
    Bassline
    Breakstep
    Dubstep
    Funky
    Grime
    Speed garage
    Hardcore/Hard dance
    Bouncy techno
    Breakbeat Hardcore
    Breakcore
    Darkcore
    Digital hardcore
    Doomcore
    Freeform
    Gabber
    Happy hardcore
    Hardstyle
    Jumpstyle
    Makina
    Noisecore
    Speedcore
    Terrorcore
    UK Hardcore
    House
    Acid house
    Boogie
    Bubblegum dance
    Chicago house
    Crack house
    Deep house
    Disco house
    Dream house
    Electro house
    Euro house
    Fidget house
    French house
    Freestyle house
    US garage
    Ghetto house
    UK Hard house
    Hard NRG
    Hi-NRG
    Hip house
    Italo house
    Kwaito
    Latin house
    Minimal house/Microhouse
    Progressive house
    Scouse house
    Swing house
    Electronica
    Tribal house
    Tech house
    Hi-NRG
    Eurobeat
    Eurodance
    Hard NRG
    Italo Disco
    New Beat
    Techno
    Industrial
    Aggrotech
    Ambient industrial
    Cybergrind
    Dark ambient
    Dark electro
    Death industrial
    Electronic body music
    Electro-Industrial
    Industrial (part 2)
    Industrial rock
    Industrial metal
    Coldwave
    Noise
    Japanoise
    Power noise
    Jungle/Drum and bass
    Clownstep
    Darkcore
    Darkstep
    Drumfunk
    Hardstep
    Intelligent drum and bass
    Jump-Up
    Liquid funk
    Neurofunk
    Oldschool jungle
    Ragga-jungle
    Darkside jungle
    Raggacore
    Sambass
    Techstep
    Trancestep
    Rock/Punk influenced electronic music (Dance-rock)
    Alternative dance
    Coldwave
    Cyber metal
    Dance-punk
    Dark Wave
    Digital hardcore
    Electroclash
    Electro rock
    Electropunk
    Ethereal Wave
    Industrial rock
    Industrial metal
    New Rave
    New Wave
    Synthpop
    Post-disco
    Progressive rock
    Synthpunk
    Techno
    Acid techno
    Detroit techno
    Free tekno
    Ghettotech
    Minimal
    New beat
    Nortec
    Schranz / Hardtechno
    Tech house
    Tech trance
    Techno-DNB
    Techstep
    Yorkshire Techno
    Trance
    Acid trance
    Classic trance
    Dream trance
    Euro-trance
    Hard trance
    Hardstyle
    Progressive trance
    Psychedelic trance/Goa trance
    Dark psy
    Full on
    Nitzhonot
    Psyprog
    Psybient
    Psybreaks
    South African psytrance
    Suomisaundi
    Tech trance
    Uplifting trance
    Vocal trance
    Post-disco
    Dance-pop
    Boogie
    Nu rave
    Hardcore breaks
    Rave breaks
    Jungle techno
    Chiptune
    8-bit
    Demoscene music
    Picopop
    Game Boy music
    Gamewave
    Other Derivatives
    Club/Dance
    Europop
    Euro-Trance
    Happy Hardcore
    Bubblegum Dance

Of course it's not fully up to date. I see they are missing Somerset Wonky Dub, for example.

i don't really know what that music was? i remember a time when mowax was grouping together off beat experiments from people like carl craig, la funk mob and so forth, they were all kind of tempos and all kind of sounds. i guess it was stoner music in some way. then josh davis made a slip up and said "its trippy hip hop, it's trip hop" in an interview and one over-zealous journo coined the term for all time.

truthfully producers do what they always have done, fuck around and try different things. however, its hard for promoters and journos to comment on scenes and parties without a tagline. this is how stupid tags like dubstep come about. in reality, the music is always in a state of flux. there are all sorts of ideas floating around in the diaspora and as you will hopefully soon see, some of them are now making their way into major label us hip hop and rnb.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Trip Hop for me was around 94-95, basically slowed hip-hop samples and production techniques sprinked with quirky electronic dustings and used to make downtempo backgrounds pieces to recreational smoking sessions. Tricky, Portishead and dem.

Frankly direction-less and repetitive to my ears doe (non-herbivore). In the words of Betty Boo, "I can't dance to that music you're playing".

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Mr Chop

Feelin' it, or meh?

Did you pull that out of your backpack? LOL!

haha i loled for the first time today.

what do you think of country? basiclly a whole country full of people... messing with classics all day long.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    1st rule of music: dont follow any rules.

fixed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Mr Chop

Feelin' it, or meh?

Gilding the lily.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    loved the TROY and that whole Pete Rock CL album when it came out, listening to mr Chops TROY version really hurt my ears..

imo totally

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it DOES sound like he's singing "Busta Rhymes"!!! HAHAHAH

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The track by itself is a decent track but to try and make it on the level of "T.R.O.Y." is just blasphemes. When Pete used the Tom Scott break he put a lock on it that only he has the key for. I think everyone that owns that record, myself included, has thought about flipping it and realized that it's no point in trying to get something out of it that P.R. didn't already do. You don't f**k with a classic!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    please tell me clownstep is real

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    please tell me clownstep is real

Dubstep done by Insane Clown Posse?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The ever-more-jaded and grouchy Simon Reynolds (honestly, I feel he'd fit right in around here sometimes) just coined the term "blubstep" to describe emo chillwave dubstep crossover stuff like James Blake, which is the first time he's made me laugh in at least twenty years, possibly ever.