Mayweather vs. Mosely

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Floyd in 7

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I'ma say Floyd in 5. I can't wait for this!!

• How in the world do you have floyd in 5?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Hmmmmmm

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Floyd :split decision

Next he kicks Manny's ass

Then knocks Shane out in a rematch

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My prediction is Shane Mosley in a 9th round TKO. Shane is too tough for 'Money' Mayweather, stronger, and will press him effectively (unlike Hatton's unskillful ass) into an uncomfortable and difficult fight. Did anyone notice on "24/7" that Nazim Richardson was watching the first Mayweather vs. Castillo fight? Jose Luis Castillo laid down the blueprint for beating Floyd in that fight, even though he was robbed in the decision.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I see Shane pressing him as well and agree with stacks. The only that sucks is i'm kind of rooting for Mayweather (who i'm no fan of)ONLY because i want to see him fight Manny.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ditto

• I would like to see Shane catch him off guard and knock him out

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Money by decision or possibly a late round stoppage... although a lot of fight fans who's opinions I respect (including Stacks) are picking Sugar so I don't know how confident I am about that pick. I need to watch that Castillo fight again.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Money by decision or possibly a late round stoppage... although a lot of fight fans who's opinions I respect (including Stacks) are picking Sugar so I don't know how confident I am about that pick. I need to watch that Castillo fight again.

Yeah Phill,

Castillo handled Floyd's ass in their 1st fight, though Floyd spanked his butt in the rematch. Castillo simply pressured Mayweather behind the jab and fought really physical with him. Remember, Shane fights well inside, throws great body-shots, has knock-out power, good footspeed and quickness, and most importantly, HAS NEVER BEEN STOPPED. So, we know that Shane has a chin, but what about Floyd? We'll see on Saturday night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I would like to see Shane catch him off guard and knock him out

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    how are people watching this thing?

1. at a bar

2. strip club

3. friends

4. by your damn self

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    how are people watching this thing?

1. at a bar/restaurant in my building(Live DJ spinning Local Black Exp steez)

• Here's the thing that worries me (as one who'd LOVE to see floyd get beat). Mosley's stock rose waaaaay too high after the margarito fight, in which he beat a mentally distraught fighter. Yes, he destroyed margarito, but some may argue his style was tailor made for mosley, and coupled with the pre-fight handwrap fiasco, the win might not seem that spectacular. Mosley looked pretty bad against mayorga and was nothing spectacular against cotto (who outjabbed and out-speeded mosley). Hes also pretty old for the fight game, and sadly the effects are already visible in his speech. a punchy fighter often means a dulled reflexes fighter. Anyways, i dislike Floyd immensely, but i rate him as top 10 fighters p4p alltime, so its hard for me to bet against him. I just hope its a good fight, and not another Mayweather-Marquez smackdown.

Here's the thing that worries me (as one who'd LOVE to see floyd get beat). Mosley's stock rose waaaaay too high after the margarito fight, in which he beat a mentally distraught fighter. Yes, he destroyed margarito, but some may argue his style was tailor made for mosley, and coupled with the pre-fight handwrap fiasco, the win might not seem that spectacular. Mosley looked pretty bad against mayorga and was nothing spectacular against cotto (who outjabbed and out-speeded mosley). Hes also pretty old for the fight game, and sadly the effects are already visible in his speech. a punchy fighter often means a dulled reflexes fighter. Anyways, i dislike Floyd immensely, but i rate him as top 10 fighters p4p alltime, so its hard for me to bet against him. I just hope its a good fight, and not another Mayweather-Marquez smackdown.

Hey Stonehands,

You're analysis is pretty much spot on, but Shane doesn't exhibit the balance problems and lack-of-coordination often associated with "punchy" fighters (e.g., Riddick Bowe, Terry Norris, and Meldrick Taylor are great examples of this). So, I'm unsure if he's suffering from this, plus he remains rather quick with his hands. Personally, I think Mosley gave Cotto too much respect and the same with Mayorga, as opposed to going at them more aggressively. With Floyd, I really see Mosley being victorious due to a "styles" issue. Floyd has never dealt well with effective pressure and that is exactly how Shane, at his best, fights. You're right, Shane is old and I hope he doesn't become old in the ring against Mayweather on Saturday night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Mayweather by late-round TKO or unanimous decision. If Mosley has a shot it will be before the 5th-6th round area, but it's unlikely.

• Here's the thing that worries me (as one who'd LOVE to see floyd get beat). Mosley's stock rose waaaaay too high after the margarito fight, in which he beat a mentally distraught fighter. Yes, he destroyed margarito, but some may argue his style was tailor made for mosley, and coupled with the pre-fight handwrap fiasco, the win might not seem that spectacular. Mosley looked pretty bad against mayorga and was nothing spectacular against cotto (who outjabbed and out-speeded mosley). Hes also pretty old for the fight game, and sadly the effects are already visible in his speech. a punchy fighter often means a dulled reflexes fighter. Anyways, i dislike Floyd immensely, but i rate him as top 10 fighters p4p alltime, so its hard for me to bet against him. I just hope its a good fight, and not another Mayweather-Marquez smackdown.

Hey Stonehands,

You're analysis is pretty much spot on, but Shane doesn't exhibit the balance problems and lack-of-coordination often associated with "punchy" fighters (e.g., Riddick Bowe, Terry Norris, and Meldrick Taylor are great examples of this). So, I'm unsure if he's suffering from this, plus he remains rather quick with his hands. Personally, I think Mosley gave Cotto too much respect and the same with Mayorga, as opposed to going at them more aggressively. With Floyd, I really see Mosley being victorious due to a "styles" issue. Floyd has never dealt well with effective pressure and that is exactly how Shane, at his best, fights. You're right, Shane is old and I hope he doesn't become old in the right against Mayweather on Saturday night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I really hope you're right stacks, i really hope you are. Good point on the punchy issue too - i think i was assuming on that one.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I think the smart money is on a semi boring fight with decision to Mayweather. However, I'd love to see a KO.

Overall I agree with all the strong points Big Stacks brought up about Mosley, however I think Mayweather can and will Turtle his way through most of Mosleys attacks and light him up when and if Shane gets frustrated.

Everyone who fights Mayweather gets frustrated and ultimately ends up fighting Mayweather's fight. If Shane can manage to not get frustrated at any point then hell have a good shot.

Sugar's trainer brought up a geat point too, most of Mayweather's opponents under estimate him to be a talented coward....which he isn't. He's good at fighting the boring evasive fight but he'll turn your teeth into pudding if you give him an opportunity.

Can't wait for this fight.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ...and for what it's worth I'd like to nominate Big Stacks as THE Teddy Atlas of l? Strut....

• Options
    Floyd will win this fight. Most of us want Mosely to win, but he won't.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Floyd by decision. Then Floyd gets beat by Pacquiao.

...and for what it's worth I'd like to nominate Big Stacks as THE Teddy Atlas of l? Strut....

Hey JectWon,

I appreciate the compliment, bro. My interest in boxing (by the way, I used to box at the Boy's Club as a kid too) came from my father (RIP, June 17th, 2009), one of the many pasttimes he imparted to me (e.g., playing drums, singing, collecting records, playing sports, chess, etc.). I watched many classic bouts with pops over the years, so I'm going to miss that evening call that he would make asking me for my prediction on the upcoming fight that night. We didn't always agree, but that's part of the fun of being mutual boxing fans. In fact, my (older) brother doesn't agree with me and has predicted that Mayweather would win by decision. I'll be sure to call and heckle his ass when Shane stops Floyd! Just for the record, some of my unpopular, yet correct predictions over the years include:

-Winky Wright over Shane Mosley
    -Marlon Starling over Mark Breland
    -Michael Moorer over Evander Holyfield (ist fight)
    -Iran Barkley over Thomas Hearns (1st fight)
    -Terry Norris over Sugar Ray Leonard
    -Pinklon Thomas over Tim Witherspoon

There are so many more, but I'll stop there. Oh yeah, Phill, here are some Mayweather vs. Castillo I highlights:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey JectWon,

I appreciate the compliment, bro. My interest in boxing (by the way, I used to box at the Boy's Club as a kid too) came from my father (RIP, June 17th, 2009), one of the many pasttimes he imparted to me (e.g., playing drums, singing, collecting records, playing sports, chess, etc.). I watched many classic bouts with pops over the years, so I'm going to miss that evening call that he would make asking me for my prediction on the upcoming fight that night. We didn't always agree, but that's part of the fun of being mutual boxing fans. In fact, my (older) brother doesn't agree with me and has predicted that Mayweather would win by decision. I'll be sure to call and heckle his ass when Shane stops Floyd! Just for the record, some of my unpopular, yet correct predictions over the years include:

-Winky Wright over Shane Mosley
    -Marlon Starling over Mark Breland
    -Michael Moorer over Evander Holyfield (ist fight)
    -Iran Barkley over Thomas Hearns (1st fight)
    -Terry Norris over Sugar Ray Leonard
    -Pinklon Thomas over Tim Witherspoon

There are so many more, but I'll stop there. Oh yeah, Phill, here are some Mayweather vs. Castillo I highlights:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

Check out the blueprint for beating Floyd Mayweather.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    Stacks,
    Wouldnt you say that Mayweather may have learned from the castillo fight? after all, by round 10, he seems to have castillo figured out... Hatton was a swarmer (who beat castillo) and the only thing castillo got over ricky is size.. mayweather picked him apart. Mosley isnt as big as castillo, and mayweather is bigger than ppl think...

Hey,

That was an amazing performance by Floyd Mayweather, Jr. tonight. He executed his gameplan beautifully relative to Sugar Shane Mosley. As folks predicted in this thread, his speed, defense, and surprisingly, aggressiveness neutralized Shane's offense. Actually, Mayweather could've knocked out Mosley if he stepped on the gas sooner. He even showed heart, coming back strong after being rocked by two hard rights in the 2nd round, and thereafter, didn't lose a round! I was very impressed by Mayweather tonight (not that I haven't been previously, I consider him a incredibly talented fighter), especially his tenacity, and I don't see ANYONE at welterweight (including Pacquaio, who is much too small) defeating 'Money' Mayweather. Wow!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    rocked by two hard rights in the 2nd round

Had to get up out of my seat for that one! I've never seen Mayweather get hit that hard in the head. But then Mosley's punches after that looked like that of a man fatigued. Definitely props to Mayweather. Dude's game is flawless...

I don't see ANYONE at welterweight (including Pacquaio

yea, even though everyone wants to see that fight. I just don't see ANYONE beating him at this point.

• Options
    Pacquiao's got the best chance of anyone at beating Floyd. But if/when the fight happens, Pacquiao would go in as the underdog and likely lose via unanimous or split decison.

• Shane was already breathing hard by the 2nd. A meaningless win.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yeah, the fight went pretty much the way I thought it would. It was a Mayweather fight- he studies his opponent in the early rounds, and sometimes it looks like it might end up being a contest. But by the middle rounds, Money has the guy figured out and knows he can whup him pretty much at will. By the end of the fight it's not even a fight no more. I figured Money was gonna make Shane look older and older as the fight went on, and that's exactly how it went down. Nice shots by Shane in round 2, though... he definitely buckled Mayweather with that second blow and had him doin' the rubberlegs dance. That was Mosely's opportunity- if he could've poured it on right then he might've taken Money out. But that tells you something about Floyd Mayweather- like all the great ones, when facing some serious adversity he came back like a champ and didn't get rattled. Anybody who thinks Money is just a defensive fighter who runs because he's scared to really mix it up is sadly mistaken. Dude showed he can take a punch and will dish it out just as well.

As for a Money-Pacman fight, I think Mayweather's concerns about Pac not being clean are warranted. I'm sorry, but fighters just do NOT put on 40 pounds and get faster AND maintain or increase punching power as they move up into the heavier weight classes! Not without a little help, if you know what I mean. Manny on PEDs vs. Money... well, who knows. Manny clean vs. Money? Mayweather DESTROYS him. He's too big and too skilled. DEFINITELY in the top 5 all time p4p in my book.

Yeah, the fight went pretty much the way I thought it would. It was a Mayweather fight- he studies his opponent in the early rounds, and sometimes it looks like it might end up being a contest. But by the middle rounds, Money has the guy figured out and knows he can whup him pretty much at will. By the end of the fight it's not even a fight no more. I figured Money was gonna make Shane look older and older as the fight went on, and that's exactly how it went down. Nice shots by Shane in round 2, though... he definitely buckled Mayweather with that second blow and had him doin' the rubberlegs dance. That was Mosely's opportunity- if he could've poured it on right then he might've taken Money out. But that tells you something about Floyd Mayweather- like all the great ones, when facing some serious adversity he came back like a champ and didn't get rattled. Anybody who thinks Money is just a defensive fighter who runs because he's scared to really mix it up is sadly mistaken. Dude showed he can take a punch and will dish it out just as well.

As for a Money-Pacman fight, I think Mayweather's concerns about Pac not being clean are warranted. I'm sorry, but fighters just do NOT put on 40 pounds and get faster AND maintain or increase punching power as they move up into the heavier weight classes! Not without a little help, if you know what I mean. Manny on PEDs vs. Money... well, who knows. Manny clean vs. Money? Mayweather DESTROYS him. He's too big and too skilled. DEFINITELY in the top 5 all time p4p in my book.

Hey Phill,

As a serious boxing fan, I always acknowledged Mayweather's incredible boxing skills, speed, and ability. However, I had my doubts about him regarding how he would deal with a truly dangerous opponent. I have to admit that he put those doubts to bed last night in showing tremendous heart and character, coming back from being seriously hurt in the 2nd round. To me, this is the essence of a TRULY great fighter, showing the heart and determination to overcome adversity. I recall Muhammad Ali getting up off the canvas after taking Joe Frazier's devastating left hook back in MSQ in 1971, showing tremendous courage in the face of defeat. Hell, Ali finished (although losing) the first fight with Ken Norton back in 1973 with a broken jaw!. I think about how Sugar Ray Leonard was getting his ass kicked by Tommy Hearns in the middle rounds of their 1981 bout, but showed the heart to pour it on and force a the 14th-round stoppage. Or, how Larry Holmes, back in 1979, overcame being seriously hurt and knocked down by Earnie Shavers in round 7 (and again in the 9th, though ruled a slip by the ref), only to stop him in the llth round. Marvin Hagler, as a final example, showed great heart against Roberto Duran's tough challenge in their 1983 fight. While Floyd hasn't been in such "fire-fights" as these examples, last night, he did show the courage to stand in fight when challenged. He showed evidence of having that intangible will that separates "great" from merely "good" fighters.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak