favorite album on black jazz?

moonheadmoonhead 28 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
reason is the track "slinky", one of my favorite funky jazz tracks. but i haven??t heard all of the black jazz albums yet! drop some...

Comments

• See also - Infant Eyes, Revelation.. Doug and Jean Carn are mindblowing.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The other Awakening lp is dope too. Tough choice really, I like Calvin Keys, Walter Bishop, Henry Franklin etc. Beware of Kellee Patterson's lp though, super boring imo. Favorite black jazz track is probably "get down" off of Gene Russell's "talk to my lady" lp. Fonky shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    All my favorite Black Jazz albums really come down to favorite songs rather than end-to-end listens.

Gene Russell: Get Down
    Henry Franklin Jr.: Summertime
    Rudolph Johnson: Diswa

Those top my list. I do like the Kellee Patterson though - it's not that bad!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    All my favorite Black Jazz albums really come down to favorite songs rather than end-to-end listens.

Fuck dude I can't believe you left Doug and Jean Carn off your list. You're an idiot. What is the criteria?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Oh yeah, forgot about Rudolph Johnson, good shit. The Cleveland Eaton joint is cool too. Still haven't heard the Roland Haynes yet, have heard mixed things about it but I still wanna hear it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

See also - Infant Eyes, Revelation.. Doug and Jean Carn are mindblowing.

you're ears are tuned far differently than mines.

I'm all about them Henry Fanklin joints. right now I'm leaning more towards The Skipper

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Listening to this one right now. Title track is what's really.

I also really like Calvin Keyes, Shawn-Neeq, but admittedly have yet to hear much of the more-hyped stuff on the label - I've just grabbed any OG's that popped up, haven't bothered with reissues yet...although I may grab a Carn RE if an OG doesn't turn up soon...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Fuck dude I can't believe you left Doug and Jean Carn off your list. You're an idiot. What is the criteria?

Ha ha ha, great, I'll never live this down now.

I don't own the Carn LPs. My friends always seem to dissuade me from picking them up. I like that Chester Thompson "Powerhouse" joint too though it's not as hot as "Diswa."

• All my favorite Black Jazz albums really come down to favorite songs rather than end-to-end listens.

Ha ha ha, great, I'll never live this down now.

I don't own the Carn LPs. My friends always seem to dissuade me from picking them up. I like that Chester Thompson "Powerhouse" joint too though it's not as hot as "Diswa."

your friends suck !

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love that DJ Ayres in now talking about Black Jazz!

HAUTE TO DEAF.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    My top 3 looks like this:

1- The Awakening, Mirage

2- Walter Bishop Jr, Keeper Of My Soul

3- Roland Haynes, 2nd Wave

• 3- Roland Haynes, 2nd Wave

Agreed, great album. Funky Mama Goose.

I love the way it claims to be Quadraphonic as well - always wanted to test that!

• See also - Infant Eyes, Revelation.. Doug and Jean Carn are mindblowing.

Yep, I prefer spiritual jazz to modern soul.. That's just me.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My top 3 looks like this:

1- The Awakening, Mirage

2- Walter Bishop Jr, Keeper Of My Soul

3- Roland Haynes, 2nd Wave

If I actually owned #2 and #3 my list would probably look the same , but since I don't, it goes a little something like this:

1. The Awakening
    2. Henry Franklin
    3. Doug Carn
    4. Calvin Keys

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    You're all sleeping on 'magic wand of love'!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I love that DJ Ayres in now talking about Black Jazz!

HAUTE TO DEAF.

Jamie Hodge (my hommie from Chicago who got me into records) used to always make me listen to Black Jazz.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

See also - Infant Eyes, Revelation.. Doug and Jean Carn are mindblowing.

Yep, I prefer spiritual jazz to modern soul.. That's just me.

I really got no preference of one over the other, I love Carns playing, just think Jeans voice wasn't exactly suited to the music her husband made.

I'll take her "modern soul" Don't Let It Go To Your Head over her "spiritual jazz" rendition of Naima anyday

• Jamie Hodge (my hommie from Chicago who got me into records) used to always make me listen to Black Jazz.

Good mentor. Met that dude a few years back at FMU & he hipped me to some cool 45s. Didn't he also reissue that Philip Cohran album?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    all the goodies have been mentioned, my top favorite is doug carn's adams apple, first one i ever found and just love listening to it...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Jamie Hodge (my hommie from Chicago who got me into records) used to always make me listen to Black Jazz.

Good mentor. Met that dude a few years back at FMU & he hipped me to some cool 45s. Didn't he also reissue that Philip Cohran album?

yeah that's him. his 45 collection is just unreal.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    speakin of black jazz I hope some of you can guide me here.
    These are the LPs on black jazz that I don't have yet. I know a guy who can get me all of them for 40EUR each M- condition, execpt for the Kallee Patterson. He usually gives 10% discount so it's more like 35 EUR a piece. Which should I get?

Which go for most and are there any of them that I can expect on getting cheaper?
    Where I live black jazz records don't show up so I have gotten all of them on ebay
    or through trades. So when I'm talking about getting them cheaper it's mainly on ebay or websites.

-Rudolph Johnson: ???Spring Rain??? (Black Jazz)
    -Chester Thompson: ???Powerhouse??? (Black Jazz)
    -Doug Carn: ???Spirit of the New Land??? (Black Jazz)
    -The Awakening: ???Hear, Sense and Feel??? (Black Jazz)
    -Kellee Patterson: ???Maiden Voyage??? (Black Jazz)
    -Walter Bishop, Jr.: ???Keeper of My Soul??? (Black Jazz)
    -Walter Bishop, Jr.: ???Coral Keys??? (Black Jazz)
    -Calvin Keys: ???Proceed With Caution??? (Black Jazz)
    -Calvin Keys: ???Shawn-Neeq??? (Black Jazz)
    -Cleveland Eaton: ???Plenty Good Eaton??? (Black Jazz)

The feeling I have is that all the releases pretty much sells for the same, maybe expect for the Kallee Patterson which I've seen higher. So if that's the case is, which of the above should I get first?

I also noticed that all the releases have a number in the order they were released, but what is number 13? does this exist. As far as I know there's 20 LPs released on black jazz. Anyone know about this?

My favourites of the ones I have are probably the Doug Carn LPs, because I love Jean's vocals, I don't think I can choose one, but right after those are Roland Hayes' lp and awakening - mirage!

• there is no nr 13. that number is cursed!

i never had my 13th birthday.. im 21 now so i guess im actually 20.

wow my life is like the BlackJazz discography!

Jazz discography??s