have there been ANY good series finales???

Digger_Phelps_IIDigger_Phelps_II 174 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
with the finale of 2 of my favorite shows looming (lost & tudors) i cant remember ever being satisfied with any series finale....have there ever been any that lived up to the enjoyment of the series??...

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Seems like every season-ender I can think of, even if it's good it's painful to watch.

I actually liked the final Seinfeld, but it's still a little too melancholy knowing that the party is coming to an end.

• i was gonna mention seinfeld but it seems obvious seeing as how everyone loved the series but did not like the finale....i've also heard more negative reviews on the finale of the wire.... and i remember oz going steadily downhill over the last 2 seasons...still thinking of more

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    six feet under.

• six feet under.

havent gotten to that series yet but its in the queue....

..another disappoinment: sopranos

I liked the final episode of The Monkees, which was a surreal psychedelic scene that prefigured their movie Head. Peter Tork gets hypnotized by a TV test pattern, and then when the boys get out of that jam, the last scene on the last show is a performance by Tim Buckley.

No one KNEW this was going to be the end, but with a episode this drastically different, you just knew the program would die or grow. The Monkees wanted to do another season of episodes just like it; NBC wanted them to return to their old sitcom formula; no consensus was reached and the network pulled the plug. But it was a hell of a way to go out.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Arrested Development.

Kidding. Too soon?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The last series finale I watched was Seinfeld.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    six feet under.

Are you saying this was a good one? I don't remember what came before it, but the final montage was so bad that my girl and I were laughing through it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I remember the series finale of Twin Peaks being pretty damn nutty in a good way.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh my word - the 15 Unintentionally Perverted Toys for Children has me in tears.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18494_15-unintentionally-perverted-toys-children.html

And if memory serves, the finale to NYPD Blue was OK. Yup, I was watching that shit right up to the end.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Count me among the camp that loved the final episode of "The Sopranos" -- it was open ended and featured Journey, what more do you need?

• Arrested Development and TP are great calls.

I was into the Sopranos finale. Seinfeld too, mostly.

6FU was a solid ep w/ a horrible coda.

Lost finale should be trainwreck quality.

Count me among the camp that loved the final episode of "The Sopranos" -- it was open ended and featured Journey, what more do you need?

...and the final scene was parodied on the final scene of the final episode of Everybody Hates Chris

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Without hesitation:
    The Wonder Years[/b]

I didn't watch every episode of The Sopranos[/b], but did watch isolated seasons. I liked the series finale because it ended exactly like the music video.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    the shield

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this was the best way to end the show. david chase made a classic ending.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    The last ten minutes of the Wire were the best part of that season.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    IMO Series finales, in general, are usually good because the show eventually becomes so bad that the finale assures no more episodes. Only a handful of shows gracefully bail out. They always take some wack turn a season or 2 before the end. This is usually the case with sitcoms though. Dramas, in recent years, seem to end on a satisfying note.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    The last ten minutes of the Wire were the best part of that season.
    i agree.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The final episode of the original "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan was SO serious that he and his family had to leave the UK and move to Los Angeles!!!!! People in the UK were so bugged out about the last episode that they were stopping Mcgoohan in the street in the UK and yelling at him! LOL. The Prisoner was the best TV show of all time and the final episode was truly next level.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yall have to be fusking high if you think the series finale of Sopranos was good. It was lazy and obviously allowed for a sequel or movie in the future. It was hacky, transparent and showed a lack of conviction by Chase in not knowing how to end it. It was filled with a buncha bullshit that was not genius at all, but just a way to distract people from the fact that the ending sucked.

Wonder Years, on the other hand, was good. Apparently the cast didn't know it was the final episode.

Six Feet Under montage was as lazy as Sopranos, but fit into the theme of the show, i.e., death, so at least it was fitting.

I'm ambivalent to Seinfeld's ending. It was just on today, so I can say that with confidence.

Cosby Show was good and classy.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    It is real easy to Phantom Menace a finale. Your expectations are too high. Obviously you like the show enough to tune into the finale. You are at least somewhat invested in seeing how it ends. Most good bye's aren't as good as the relationship. Some are more memorable than others.
    I liked the Sopranos ending after watching it the second time. The more I marinated about it, the more I liked it.

Speaking of Phantom Menacing, Detox is not going to be as good as people expect. There will be a hot single or two but I am sure the word "disappointment" will show up in a lot of reviews.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    magnum p.i. had a good one.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    magnum p.i. had a good one.

Please expand. I kinda lost interest when they did the "Vietnam-fallout" episodes but Magnumpi had the realest title sequence.

Blakes Seven was

M.A.S.H.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The final episode of the original "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan was SO serious that he and his family had to leave the UK and move to Los Angeles!!!!! People in the UK were so bugged out about the last episode that they were stopping Mcgoohan in the street in the UK and yelling at him! LOL. The Prisoner was the best TV show of all time and the final episode was truly next level.

Major

Having come across this on saturday tv when I was still a youngster I was gripped week in week out and, in these pre internet days, had no idea that the "resolution" wasn't going to be straightforward. Blew my mind somewhat.

Would also cosine the TP ending, pretty much made up for the ten plus terrible episodes before it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I can't remember what happened in the last ep. Senior please to advise.

Anyone need all 17 eps on 9 kosher videos (not DVD), NM with sleeves?

Holla

Ah it's been around 20 years so the details are very sketchy (I bought the whole thing on DVD a few years ago but it's sitting alongside all the other unopened box sets in the spare room).

KIND OF SPOILER

As I recall it's split across the two final episodes and the first half is relatively straightforward as No 6 has a long confrontation with No 2 over why he resigned. No 2 has some kind of breakdown and No 6 triumphs and demands to see No 1. I think that's where the first one ends.

The second episode continues this story and that's where my young mind started getting irreversibly damaged. All I really recall is that he meets some kind of council in masks and demands to go home then there's some weird shit with a rocket of some kind? Then, the Pi?ce de r?sistance , No 6 pulls off one of the masks and there's a fucking chimp face behind it. At this point I probably accepted I would do drugs when I grew up. But we've not stopped there, no way, he pulls off the chimp mask and is confronted by his own head laughing manically.

After that I think he wangles a deal to go home but there's a reveal at the end that suggests that he's actually still in the village (I think it's to do with the door to his flat).

To be honest, I was mentally scarred from the whole face reveal part and the rest kind of blurred into a haze of nightmarish images.

Damn it's too early in the day for me to be revisiting this kind of thing.

Find a happy place.....find a happy place....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I always thought the Village looked like a nice place to live full time. Play chess all day, lounge around in groovy togs, no violence. Didn't even need to pay rent on the nice pad.

All it needed was a few record shops and a happening bar.

Plus you got to drive around in golf carts. Personal goal achieved.

As a child I desperately wanted to live in Portmeirion.