Exit Through the Gift Shop

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Anyone see this? Heard a good review of it but wanted to see what others thought.

Comments

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    I thought it was great. Best example to date about what a fucking joke the art world really is. Go see it.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Anyone check the mr brainwash exhibition ?
    Me and my friends are pretty sure its banksy and shepards work.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    saw it. recommended for those who follow/ed "street art".

my chick saw it while it was in NYC. when she was showing me photos of the work,
    i had no idea who MBW is, but in looking at "his" stuff, it basically
    comes off as regurgitated versions of everybody else's work. after watching
    the film, it makes sense as to why that is given his influences. he was blatant
    about that, and that he doesn't make the stuff - MBW just tells his contract
    workers what to do. i think this is somewhat common place if you're a
    busy artist - you have workers / interns doing some of that work for you.
    i dated a girl who used to do fill-ins for dalek & murakami's commisioned pieces.
    that's the way it is.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    This looks great, and this adjoining story is great, too.

Adjoining story

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts

If this was true it would make the movie even more genius. The crowd that attended the Mr. Brainwash show in the movie was horrific.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This looks great, and this adjoining story is great, too.

Adjoining story

I started a separate thread about this, not realising you'd already posted the story.

As it turns out, I just finished watching a local news story over here and discovered that I used to work with the girl who sings with this band. She's a sweetheart, too - really pleased for her.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Liked this quite a bit.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I thought this was funny as hell. It doesn't change anything I previously believed about street art or the art world in general, though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Someone hook it up with a download/stream link for this thing.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yes, a link would be great. I'm a fan of Banksy but with all his anti- messages it seems somewhat okay to not pay $10-$15 to watch this in a big chain theater.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Its playing at the Sydney Film festival here. Might check it out

Banksy might be in Toronto right now.

http://torontoist.com/2010/05/banksy_comes_to_toronto.php

http://torontoist.com/2010/05/more_banksy_for_your_buck.php

I wonder if he's gearing up for the G20 summit about to rock Toronto.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I checked this out a couple weeks ago when it premiered in D.C. I honestly wasn't a fan. About half the movie focuses on Space Invader and Shepard Fairey. Then Banksy comes into the picture but the movie then begins to focus on the movie maker's own personal street art campaign, Mr. Brainwash, and his over-hyped art expose. I dunno...well worth checking it out compared to any other horrible movie out right now, but I was expecting more of Banksy getting up.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I checked this out a couple weeks ago when it premiered in D.C. I honestly wasn't a fan. About half the movie focuses on Space Invader and Shepard Fairey. Then Banksy comes into the picture but the movie then begins to focus on the movie maker's own personal street art campaign, Mr. Brainwash, and his over-hyped art expose. I dunno...well worth checking it out compared to any other horrible movie out right now, but I was expecting more of Banksy getting up.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I genuinely enjoyed the film. I wasn't expecting anything going into it. I probably would have been bored if it was just Banksy painting. If it was a genuine film about Thierry, then it was great. If it was all a set up to renew the commodity of Fairey and Banksy's art, than I like it even more.

Banksy might be in Toronto right now.

http://torontoist.com/2010/05/banksy_comes_to_toronto.php

http://torontoist.com/2010/05/more_banksy_for_your_buck.php

I wonder if he's gearing up for the G20 summit about to rock Toronto.

Funny, Massive Attack played here on the weekend as well. And Robert del Naja is represented by the same management as Banksy...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I remember this being up on the front page for weeks and a whole big discussion about who was hoaxing whom.
    Guess I was wrong.

Anywho, I saw this movie last night.

Liked it.

Here is some street art that was done in Portland In the 1940s by a Greek immigrant named Athanasios Efthimiou Stefopoulos. Under the Lovejoy street ramp.

They tore the ramp down, but saved the drawings.

In the 1940s the most famous street artist in Europe was an American named Killroy.

• Reynaldo said:
    Someone hook it up with a download/stream link for this thing.
    torrent here

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    there is a vimeo link of the whole film floating around then just use keepvid to grab it

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

In the 1940s the most famous street artist in Europe was an American named Killroy.

Kilroy was here is an American popular culture expression, often seen in graffiti. Its origins are debated, but the phrase and the distinctive accompanying doodle???a bald-headed man (possibly with a few hairs) with a prominent nose peeking over a wall with the fingers of each hand clutching the wall???is widely known among U.S. residents who lived during World War II.

According to one story, it was reported that German intelligence found the phrase on captured American equipment. This began leading Hitler to believe that Kilroy could be the name or codename of a high-level Allied spy. At the time of the Potsdam Conference in 1945, it was rumored that Stalin found "Kilroy was here" written in the VIP's bathroom, prompting him to ask his aides who Kilroy was.

"Foo was here" graffiti is said to have been widely used by Australians during World War I: "He was chalked on the side of railway carriages, appeared in probably every camp that the 1st AIF World War I served in and generally made his presence felt."[10][11] If this is the case, then "Foo was here" pre-dates "Kilroy was here" by about twenty years.

In Britain, the graffiti is known as "Mr. Chad" or just "Chad", and the Australian equivalent to the phrase is "Foo was here". "Foo was here" might date from World War I, and the character of Chad may have derived from a British cartoonist in 1938, possibly pre-dating "Kilroy was here". A Quincy, Massachusetts shipyard inspector named J.J. Kilroy may have been the origin of the phrase "Kilroy was here" in WWII. Etymologist Dave Wilton wrote that "Some time during the war, Chad and Kilroy met, and in the spirit of Allied unity merged, with the British drawing appearing over the American phrase.

It is unclear how Chad gained widespread popularity or became conflated with Kilroy. It was, however, widely in use by the late part of the war and in the immediate post-war years, with slogans ranging from the simple "What, no bread?" or "Wot, no char?" to the plaintive; one sighting, on the side of a British 1st Airborne Division glider in Operation Market Garden, had the complaint "Wot, no engines?" The Los Angeles Times reported in 1946 that Chad was "the No. 1 doodle", noting his appearance on a wall in the Houses of Parliament after the 1945 Labour election victory, with "Wot, no Tories?"[26] Trains in Austria in 1946 featured Mr. Chad along with the phrase "Wot???no Fuehrer?"

• Glen E. Friedman is suing Mr. Brainwash

Friedman and Shepard Fairey have worked together. This calls into question whether Mr. Brainwash would be a creation of Banksy, as Banksy and Fairey also worked together as evidenced by "Exit Through The Gift Shop."
    The linked article also raises some interesting questions about the suit brought by the AP against Fairey for his iconic Obama image vs. the suit brought by Friedman against Mr. Brainwash for his Run-DMC image.