Photo request: Day, Thes, O-dub

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I want to see finished pictures of Day's studio and I want to see pictures of Oliver's shelves full of records.Please.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    C7: I want to see my shelves full of records too. But it's not there yet.

I have about 2/5ths of them filled but the bulk of the collection - the hip-hop - is still boxed and probably will stay that way until mid-summer.

Once they're all done, I'll post pics. If you want to help the process move, help me find a buyer for about 3-4,000 hip-hop records

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    C7: I want to see my shelves full of records too. But it's not there yet.

I have about 2/5ths of them filled but the bulk of the collection - the hip-hop - is still boxed and probably will stay that way until mid-summer.

Once they're all done, I'll post pics. If you want to help the process move, help me find a buyer for about 3-4,000 hip-hop records

How much are you talking ($), Manny? Holla at your boy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks: once I get properly organized, I'll try to write up a list of what's available and send it out. I know I will end up doing a heavy purge but I'm just not sure what's going to end up being put out to pasture yet.

I know this much: the Gang Starr collection stays INTACT.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Thes definitely deserves the respect for what he designed and built. That's long overdue. I'll try and get pics up this week.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Stacks: once I get properly organized, I'll try to write up a list of what's available and send it out. I know I will end up doing a heavy purge but I'm just not sure what's going to end up being put out to pasture yet.

I know this much: the Gang Starr collection stays INTACT.

Good lookin', mane!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I want to see finished pictures of Day's studio and I want to see pictures of Oliver's shelves full of records.

Please.

Finally got around to uploading some of these. The whole process took about 6 months from start to (still not quite) finish. The bulk of the work went up in 4 days (framing/electrical/doors/drywall/etc.).

LZR LVLZ

Had my man Robbie come through and did the mudding, taping & painting.

Fun.

Moving in.

Today.

Seriously, if you dudes ever need anything like this, call Thes. Still can't thank him enough.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Doing the above is pretty much the #1 reason I dream about owning a home someday.

Very nicely done. Round 2 next month!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Dude, that looks amazing! Nice work.

Nice keyboards too. Is that a Prodigy I see there?

Facemelting studio carpet pics and two comments from Soulstrut?

Blasphemy!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    day, more pictures!

And this:
    Doing the above is pretty much the only reason I want to own a home someday.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Looks like heaven!

Yeah, Day, any more pics of the finalized studio?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    wow, very impressive

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Facemelting studio carpet pics and two comments from Soulstrut?

Blasphemy!

Envy has robbed me of the ability to comment.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Is this built into or onto your house, Day? Or a separate building?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Holy crap Day...Thes, that is NXET Level.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

this reminded me of twin peaks.
    "i am theeeee armmmm"

great pics.good work fellas

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Aw man, that is outstanding!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    baller. I had no idea this was a whole construction, starting from framing. Awesome.

The big question....

you get a permit for that shit?

Thes, will you come build a window seat with me?

Oliver, it's your turn.

C7: The electrician is *finally* coming through this Friday which means I'll finally have some proper lighting up in the room. I still don't have all the shelves filled but I'll post pics of what's there.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sick. I'm totally jealous, D. This is shit you can basically just never do in a 2br apartment in NYC. FML

Nah seriously shit is awesome.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    I just bought my first house and thought my little studio set up was nice. Props. I need someone like Thes to make mine next level.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    so this means the Day albums should be flowing like water (no Gulf) then, right?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I want to come over and play.

Ok, as promised...

Just had the electrician come into today to finally wire the room right (it was using an extension cord previously, run from the house!) and install 7' of track lighting (not visible in these photos but it's a marked improvement over the floor torch I had before).

To start with, it's hard to take photos that convey the proportions of the room given that it's fairly compact. The dimensions are about 13 x 9, with my turntables (the vantage point of this first shot) sitting about 9-10' away from the front wall.

So, as noted, this is looking towards the "front" of the room. The shelves directly in front and to the right are the ones that Thes helped build. On the left is an Ivar bookcase (bolted on top and bottom to the wall for stability). The "island" in the middle is made up of three, low Ivar cases arranged like the pi symbol, if that makes sense. The island is a stop-gap measure. Eventually, I'd like to build a "new arrivals" station that will have LP and 45 flip bins on top and then record drawers (or at least, cubbies) below. That's long-term though, as will be carpeting for the floor. Right now, it's a plywood sub-floor, two inches off the actual concrete floor. The main reason I haven't put down carpeting is because of this...

This is the opposite view. The loft space is 6 x 4 and above and below are about 60 boxes of records which still need to be sorted (purged) and then shelved. Once *all* of that is done, and the space on the floor is cleared, I'll put carpeting down and possibly get rid of the loft in favor of more vertical shelving that can run floor to ceiling, just like the front wall. Thes' suggestion - which is pretty sick - is to put a sofa or bench there and then build shelves above, going up to the ceiling. Alternatively, I could build shelves on either side of that back space instead. Either way, I hope to have all that crap unboxed and sorted by the end of the summer (but we'll see).

By the way, you might notice, the DJ table is bolted into the side wall for stability. This is also a stop-gap measure. Eventually, I'll probably try to install a custom-built turntable stand, weighted down with sand for stability and vibration-absorption but that's also a ways off.

Here's a view of the long wall:

This is 12' long and 8' high.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    sick!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    that is gonna be sweet too.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Manny, your set-up is REAL sick!!

Thanks dudes.

Thes: By the way, they ended not not using the electrical wiring you left behind the front wall since it was easier to run a line to the track lighting from elsewhere. I did, however, make use of the speaker wire. You can see a small bookcase speaker in the upper right corner of the front wall. Took me forever to strip the %*)#()! wire but once I got it up and running, shit is sweet.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    WHERE DA MPC @

Is that unit in the center with the VPI permanent? Seems kinda awkwardly placed.

Agreed that you def need a couch in there. No point in a record room if there's no room to sit and drink/read/write/grade papers/ be on soulstrut!

Shelves look great though. Holler if you wanna knock out that DJ console in June when I'm down there.

B/w

so so manny rhapp rheckords!