Pretending to be gay to get votes

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/babette-josephs-pennsylva_n_547948.htmlWhat do you people think of this? I live in this district and the dude's posters are plastered on the outside of every gay establishment in the neighborhood. If he's faking it (and he hasn't denied having a girlfriend, but says now he is bi), it might win him the election based on the gay vote alone. Not to mention the negative publicity the incumbent is getting over this story.

Comments

• Options
    Genius (yet greasy) political move. Who's gonna call out your bi-tendencies? Tough to prove he's faking, no?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Anyone who votes for a candidate based solely on whether they are gay or not is an idiot.

• Options
    There is no shortage of idiots to vote other idiots in. The US has a rich history in this regard. So does Canada.

• valuing votes over people thinking you are bi/gay

next move?face tats?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    As examples of political opportunism go, that's daring to the point of flat-out recklessness.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I believe its called "progress"

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    U ever pretend to be gay to cop records?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I've known dudes who pretend to be British to cop and slang records

• I've known dudes who pretend to be British to cop and slang records

that's a bit odd. to what end?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    People are friendlier in the South to Britishman when buying (I've seen it) and customers can sometimes have an unfounded opinion that Brits are "fairer" and "more knowledgeable" record dealers.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Americans are suckers for a Brit accent

causes us to drop our panties & give up the raer northern soul 45's

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I believe its called "progress"

Well, yeah - if your electorate no longer considers a candidate's sexuality to be an issue, that's certainly progress.

If a candidate would claim to be gay when they weren't, simply to gain an advantage over their opponents, I'd call that political opportunism.